General Fiction posted September 28, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a story

I Voted

 

I voted for Gerald Ford in 1976, but this story is about Beano. He thought he liked Ford because he was from Michigan. It didn’t matter though, Jimmy Carter was elected. 

After that, the Iranian Hostages, The Oil Embargo, and a decline in American spirit followed. 

He next voted to re-elect Jimmy Carter, because the president at least attempted to rescue the hostages in Iran. Beano also understood that the conservatives (Reagan)  had big plans to find war opportunities in the Middle East to provide for an American foothold in the region. Reagan was elected.

He would have voted for Walter Mondale in 1984, but, come on. 

Beano was considering voting for Michael Dukakis in 1988, but George H.W. Bush got the VP promotion. He did manage to keep Desert Storm down to a simple annihilation of Iraqi forces while having Saudi Arabia pick up the tab, but in 1992, “It’s the economy, Stupid!” mentality swept Bush out and Bill Clinton into office. 

He couldn't believe someone talked Bob Dole into running for the Presidency against Clinton in 2000? He was shot down and later retired. 

Next, Beano voted for Al Gore in 2000, but somehow George W. Bush got elected. He wondered if it had anything to do with the Florida vote. Florida’s governor was Jeb Bush, the Secretary of State, Katherine Harris, was probably bribed to fudge the 500-vote difference between Bush and Gore, which was finally settled by the Supreme Court in a 5-4 ruling only because Florida’s time to decide had run out. The deciding vote was from the conservative justice Sandra Day O’connor – of course. Had Gore become President we would have started fighting climate change a quarter-century ago. 

Beano then voted for John Kerry in 2004, but the Republicans scuttled his campaign with innuendo and lies. 

He voted for Obama in 2008 and Hilary Clinton in 2016. A winner and a loser.

Lastly, he voted for Joe Biden in 2020, and planned to vote for Kamala Harris in 2024.

He hoped the country would win. 




 



I voted writing prompt entry
Author information not displayed for this contest.
Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story beginning with the words "I voted - " You can continue the sentence as you wish. Beyond the opening lines there are no rules. Maximum word count is 500 words.


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. By the author. All rights reserved.
The Author has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.