General Fiction posted September 16, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The day I met Jesus

My Savior and Me

by John Cranford


He stumbled and fell right in front of me. He was too weak to carry the heavy cross they had laid upon him. Who was this man? His back had the bloody marks of someone being flogged with a whip. His face had been beaten and was cut and bruised. Sweat was dripping from his beard, and dried blood was on his forehead, smeared from the thorny crown placed on his head. I heard a voice commanding a bystander to lift the cross from his frail and weakened body. As he struggled to get up, he turned and looked directly at me. He whispered, "I'm thirsty." I had a bottle of water. I unscrewed the top and gave the water to him. He drank. Returning the bottle, his beautiful eyes met mine, and they pierced the very depths of my soul. For me, that moment was frozen in time. There was no one there but he and I. He smiled.  Then I woke up.  Was this dream the ending of a tragedy?  No! It was the beginning of a triumph that would rock this world. There's more to this story.



Opening Line writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The first sentence of your story should entice your reader to keep reading. There needs to be a hook to reel them in. It could start *in media res* (in the middle of the action/plot) or a mysterious phrasing that intrigues the reader.

Ex: As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous
vermin. (Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka)

Ex: It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. (1984 by George Orwell)

Compare this to: The alarm went off and I got out of bed.
Which story would you rather read based on the first sentence?

****Write an opening paragraph to a story, with a 'hook' in the first sentence. The intrigue/action can continue making the whole paragraph a hook, but the punch should be in the first sentence.

****Prose only, one paragraph, not a whole story (this isn't a flash) just an opening paragraph. Any genre. Fiction or Nonfiction.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.