General Fiction posted September 15, 2024 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Focus shifts from the squabbles of the Gods to modern days.

A chapter in the book Body of a Horse, Heart of a Man

White Lightning

by davisr (Rhonda)




Background
A fanciful tale of adventure. Phoebus, son of Poseidon, is a god turned Centaur by Zeus. Diantha, is a young lady in peril. Together, they must face an evil foe, and make some difficult choices.
Many years passed in Olympia and the outside world. During this time, Phoebus lived out a life devoid of the other gods and any memory of what happened to make him the creature he was. Civilizations were born and died, empires built and lost. Eudora came to love another man, one more suited to her ambitions. During this time, a girl was born who would eventually rock both worlds.
 
**************
 
Modern days:  
 
 
Diantha looked at her new gift with admiration. The three-year-old filly was the most magnificent horse she had ever seen. Even though, her family had a stable of riding horses she knew little about, she knew enough to recognize quality.

This lovely thoroughbred was an engagement gift from his family. She ran her hand along the filly's snow white withers and got a snort in response, causing Diantha to jump back.

Cassie, her childhood friend and companion for the morning, couldn't stifle a chuckle. "Oh, aren't you the gifted horse lady? Afraid she was going to bite you?"

"Not at all," Diantha said. Her hazel eyes danced in response to her friend's jibe. "I'm perfectly confident in my ability to handle her, plus, I bite back."
 
 


Cassie's brown eyes twinkled. "And what about the one who gave you the gift? Are you going to bite him, too? What's his name, Wilbur?"

"It's Wilson, and I can handle him without biting, thank you very much."

"Well, I think he's a loser and you could do better," Cassie said. "Just because you think you're average at everything, doesn't mean you are, and it doesn't mean you have to settle for anything but the most amazing man you've ever met."

"I am average," Diantha said. "Average size, average weight, average, I don't know, smile. If Daddy wasn't the Governor of Tennessee, no one would notice me at all. Besides, I'm not settling. Wilson is smart, successful and well connected."

"Diantha, how long have we known each other?"

"Since kindergarten," Diantha said. She stroked the filly without turning to look at her friend. She knew better than to make eye contact with the taller, more exuberant young lady. She knew the direction this conversation was heading.

"And in all those years, how many times have I lied to you?"

"You don't really want me to answer that do you?"

"Not really, but my point is, I'm not lying now, and I'm telling you not to make a mistake and marry Wilson the Horrible."

"He isn't horrible. You know he raises several lines of successful race horses."

"And that's a good enough reason to marry him, Pumpkin?"

"That's not the only reason, and I really wish you wouldn't call me Pumpkin. I'm 21 and about to get married. I need a more mature nickname."

"What else should I call you? You have a big head and red hair. You look like a pumpkin."

"I do not. I have a normal sized head. It's my hair which, by the way, is auburn not red, that makes it look disproportionally big. I have my father's curls."

"Which he does not wear all in his face. Let me take you to my hairdresser and see if she can tame some of those wild locks. Since you are suddenly all about being grown, I think we should start there. Look what she does with my hair."

"You're black and beautiful," Diantha said, "and I want to go riding. Besides, Wilbur likes my hair like this."

"Wilson," Cassie corrected. She snickered out loud.

"I mean Wilson," Diantha said. "See what you've done? You have me calling him the wrong thing."

"Don't blame me if you can't remember his name. The only reason you're marrying him is to make your father happy."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Let me tell you, then. Your daddy wants you to marry someone from a respected family because he plans to run for President and he thinks having that dreadful creature's father in his camp is politically advantageous."

"You're being pretentious," Diantha said. "Just because we're in college doesn't mean you have to talk like one of our professors."

"I'm sorry. You want me to put it simply? Ok then, your parents are using you to get ahead in politics. Does that sound better?"

"Not really."

"But it's true."

"So what? It's not like they're the first parents on the planet to arrange a marriage."

"Yeah, but they aren't all my friends. Diantha, please, don't marry him. He's ugly, a jerk, and about 30 years older than you. Oh, and you don't love him."

"I don't love anyone else, either, and he's only 10 years older than me, missy. Stop being so negative."

"I'm not negative. I'm honest, and what about the rest of it?"

"What about it? Wilson offers me a position in life it would take me years to achieve on my own. I'll love Wilson eventually, or at least I think I will. Besides, he loves me, and that should do for both of us."

"Are you sure he does?"

"Of course."

"Did he tell you?"

"We haven't actually gotten to that part, but I'm sure he must. Why else would he have asked me to marry him, and then send me this beautiful horse?"

"It came from his father, Diantha, who wants you to marry his disgusting son, whom some have suggested is actually in love with another, less notable woman."

Diantha grew quiet while she considered what Cassie had said. This time she turned around to face her friend. She was beautiful in a way that came naturally and couldn't be provided by any amount of hairdressers. She was, also, the closest thing she had to a sister.

"Cassie, you really shouldn't pass on rumors. That's not kind to me or Wilson."

"I'm not trying to be kind. I'm trying to be straight with you. As I said, there's more to you than you give yourself credit for."

"I know you think what you're doing is for my own good," Diantha said, "but if you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about it right now. In fact, I have a better idea. Why don't we get on with our farewell ride?"

"Sure. Can I ride your new filly?"

"No, but you can ride Nutmeg. That's why she's saddled up."

Diantha pointed outside the barn to where her roan mare stood waiting.

Cassie shrugged and walked outside, apparently setting her arguments aside. Diantha followed, leading the filly.

"There's my beautiful girl." Cassie stroked the roan mare on her neck. "I'd rather ride her any old day."

Diantha brightened up. "I have an idea. Since I'll have a whole stable full of new horses, why don't you take Nutmeg home with you? It'll remind you of our youth, and how we always went riding together."

"You're not dying Diantha, just getting married. Now who's sounding gloomy?"

"I'm sorry, you're right, but please keep Nutmeg, she always did like you."

"Okay, but only if you promise you'll keep in touch."

"Of course I will. Why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know, you're the one talking about one last ride, and all."

"I'm sorry. I guess it's just because I don't know what's ahead of me in life. Once I get married, I'm afraid I'll lose a lot of autonomy."

"Why?" Cassie raised a disapproving eyebrow. "I don't think that's how marriage is supposed to work."

Diantha climbed into the English saddle Wilson had provided with the horse. She was definitely more comfortable in the western style she'd been raised with. It was another adjustment she would have to make.

"I didn't mean it like it sounded, it's just my life is probably going to be all tied up with social events. I don't know how much time I'll have to do things like ride horses from now on."

"Or if Wilson will approve of you running around with an old friend, especially one that's a minority."

"Cassie, that's not fair. You know I don't feel that way."

Cassie climbed on Nutmeg's back. "You don't, but I'm not so sure the same is true about Wilson."

"I'll discuss it with him this evening," Diantha said, "but for right now, we'd better get riding before it gets late."

Cassie patted Nutmeg on her firm neck. "Ok, I'll ease up. I just want you to think about all sides of this decision before you end up doing something you'll regret later."

"So noted."

"What's the filly's name?"

"I don't remember exactly. She came with some long pedigree name that starts with Princess something or other. My mother and I thought of a new name. We're calling her White Lightning."

"Is she that intoxicating?"

Diantha laughed. She loved her friend's wonderful sense of humor. "We chose it because of her speed, but there is so much more to her than just that. She has the feeling of a certain fire in her soul that courses through her veins like blood. I feel it every time I touch her."

"Just like her new owner."

"Me? Oh please, I've got to be about the dullest and most boring person alive."

"That's not true. You were never really outgoing in school, but you were no shrinking violet, either. You're a leader and crusader. It's in your spirit. You just haven't found anything worth fighting for since you got the whole biology class to sponsor a Black Rhino at the zoo."

"He was part of an endangered species, and I got chemistry to adopt a polar bear the next year."

"Exactly my point. Now, if you'd stop doubting yourself, and remember your own worth, you wouldn't be marrying someone you don't love."

"I don't have any choice."

Cassie shook her head, her bright eyes growing intense. "You always have a choice, and what about your dreams?"

"Which ones are those?"

"Diantha, we're in nursing school. What about becoming a neonatal intensive care nurse like we've always talked about?"

"That was just a silly pipe dream. I'm supposed to marry a man who can financially take care of me so I don't have to work."

"Who says?"

"My parents, aunts, uncles, and just about everyone I know except you."

"That's because I'm smart, and they're all selfish. Come on, you felt a career was important last year when we started nursing school together."

"I was younger then and more naive. It seems you'll have to finish the dream for both of us."

"Oh, I'll finish it alright, and the man I marry someday will support my decision," Cassie said. She climbed into the saddle on the roan mare, "and you know you should finish, too. You're good at nursing. All our instructors have said so. You're brilliant, and you have a heart for sick babies."

"Well, my fiance isn't ok with it, so I will be dropping out after this semester. Come on, let's ride through the woods on the old trails. For now, I want to just get out and forget about everything for a while."

"Fair enough."
 
Diantha glanced forward, her eyes avoiding Cassie's. How could she tell her best friend that her heart ached to go back to life as it had been just a few weeks ago, a time before her parents' ultimatum. They were forcing her to put aside her own aspirations or be cut off financially. She had no clue how to complete nursing school without their support. Somehow, she always knew it would come to this, but did it have to hurt so bad? 

The two girls trotted their horses toward a wooded trail behind the ranch home belonging to Diantha's family. As they had done since they were children, they plodded along and pretended the world was a fair and beautiful place.

They felt the morning sun warm their faces, and listened to the echoing sound of birds exchanging songs as had been done for generations untold. Once more they were two friends out enjoying a spring day together. If only it could have stayed that way.
 
 



Recognized


All AI Images from IZEA.
The first picture of White Lightning, I got from Debi pick-Marquette

I started this book several years ago. I didn't get past the prologue as live events intervened and I was off for a while. I wrote the sequel to it on here first, and am now going back to the original as a prequel.

Diantha: Female protagonist. Born and raised in Tennessee. Her father is the Governor of Tennessee. She is going to college to study pediatrics.

Cassie: Diantha's childhood best friend. Tries to talk her out of making a bad choice marrying someone she doesn't love.

Wilson: Diantha’s fiance. Rich, well connected, but doesn't love Diantha. The feeling is mutual.

White Lightning: Diantha's new filly... a gift from Wilson's family

Nutmeg: Diantha's childhood horse and Cassie's ride for the morning walk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phoebus: Young son of Poseidon. He works for Apollo as a horse tender and has started a line of horses of his own.

Eudora: Youngest daughter of Zeus and Hera - She's spoiled and petulant and purely made up on my part.

Eternal: Phoebus' favorite black stallion. A gift from Poseidon to get his youngest son started in horse breeding. He's an immortal and hopefully the father of Phoebus' planned bloodline.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.