General Fiction posted September 13, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a journey into The Twilight Zone

The Storms of Sandflow


(Rod Serling narration)

(Video of a shadowy figure reaching the end of a walk, with a mysterious greyness ahead.)

You've just crossed a border. A border between everything you know and anything you could possibly dream.

(Video of man shielding his eyes. A whirligig of colors and spirals envelops the screen,)


(Rod Serling narration.)
Everything science and man’s Knowledge has taught you lies behind. A new signpost appears.

(Video of signpost appearing from the grey).

(Rod Serling narration.)

There’s a signpost up ahead. A signpost that appears from the twilight. When you follow it, you will step from the confines of your world to the world of the unexpected and unimaginable. Your next step-THE TWILIGHT ZONE…

(haunting musical cues)

TITLE: “The Storms of Sandflow”

Writer: Buck Towne

Directed by: Don Siegal

(Rod Serling narrative)

(Video of a desert town with sun beating down on it.)

Sandflow is a desert community, full of migrants and hardcore citizens who, perhaps, are drawn into this community because of its unique environment, free from the storms and furies of our everyday lives. Sandflow’s citizens knew they could count on the sun and made their living around it. All was fine…Until the rains came. Unnatural rainfall and blowing winds soaked their piles of sand into malignant puddles. And when the sun came back out, and dried up those puddles, that was when the mushrooms came…

(Video of grotesque multicolored mushrooms springing out of the earth)

(Rod Serling narrative)

Welcome to the new citizens of Sandflow. Tiny creatures, about to inflict a supernatural presence upon the unsuspecting people of this town.

Submitted for your approval, this is the story of the aftermath of The Storms of Sandflow.

(Brief synopsis of the half-hour episode)

The mushrooms multiply, in various colors and shapes. One by one, we see various townspeople changing their attitudes and actions when coming into contact with the mushrooms.

The newspaper editor. Sam Griff, and local PTA head, Sarah Winslow, have an adversarial relationship. Each day, they find themselves at noon, eating their meager lunches on opposite sides of a bench and trading disparaging remarks.

One day the mushrooms spring up close to their bench. Their remarks become less hateful and soon even of a romantic nature. They are now sitting side by side, even holding hands.

Their relationship blooms into marriage.

Little by little, the mushrooms dissolve and disappear.

Meanwhile, the meanest man in the town is shown placing bullets into his gun. The camera pans out to his window. A tall mushroom is blooming outside and may soon reach him.

(closing monologue)

Can the thoughts and actions of mankind be inspired by an outside force? Can hatred and bitter feelings be manipulated by something beyond our senses? Or do we all possess the inclination to do good? Are we just fighting against an enemy, only to discover the enemy is ourselves? The true answer lies just a little up the road...In The Twilight Zone.




A Tribute to Rod Serling contest entry
Author information not displayed for this contest.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. By the author. All rights reserved.
The Author has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.