General Poetry posted September 2, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hailu* 5-7-5 poem (late autumn sunset)

The End of an Autumn Day

by Mark D. R.

late autumn sunset
paints the skyline bright orange —
pinks for tomorrow



5-7-5 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 Poem! This is a poem with only three lines. The catch is there is a strict syllable count. The first line has 5 syllables, second 7, third 5 again.


* Hailu is my personal combination of a 5-7-5 syllabled Haiku format and the 3-5-3 word poem format created by poet Jack Collom

The lune is also known as the American Haiku. It was first created by the poet Robert Kelly (truly a great poet) and was a result of Kelly's frustration with English haiku. After much experimentation, he settled on a 13-syllable, self-contained poem that has 5 syllables in the first line, 3 syllables in the second line and 5 syllables in the final line.

There is a variant lune created by poet Jack Collom. His form is also a self-contained tercet, but his poem is word-based (not syllable-based) and has the structure of 3 words in the first line, 5 words in the second line and 3 words in the final line.

As with Kelly's, there are no other rules.

Thanks to FanArtist cleo85 for this photo illustration.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mark D. R. All rights reserved.
Mark D. R. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.