General Non-Fiction posted August 31, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A true story about Thanksgiving.

Surprising Thanksgiving

by Brenda Strauser


When I was growing up, we were very poor so we didn't have money to buy huge amounts of food. So when any holiday like Thanksgiving came, my family was excited about the feast we would enjoy. 
 
The turkey had been cooking in the oven for about 3 hours, and my mom pulled the turkey out to check if it was done. She couldn't believe what she saw. The turkey was green, yes green.  She thought the turkey had been fine when she placed it in the oven. 
 
My mom said,"Maybe the turkey was spoiled or the pan wasn't clean and something rubbed off onto the turkey?"
 
Then, the mystery was solved, a small piece of green crayon came floating out of the turkey. 
 
Needless to say, my parents were not happy. The turkey was ruined and we couldn't eat it, my dad didn't have any money to buy another one.
 
All 5 children were summoned to the kitchen. He demanded to know who put the green crayon in the turkey. We stood there in disbelief. 
 
One by one, each of us said," I didn't do it."
 
My dad's face started to turn bright red then he said,"Each one of you will be punished until whoever did this  confesses."
 
My stomach was in knots and my brothers and sisters faces looked distressed. I was hoping and praying the culprit would confess.
 
I was thinking, "Why should I be punished for something I didn't do."
 
We were standing there for a few minutes ; it was as though time had stood still. Finally, my younger sister, who was five at the time, confessed. 
 
Tears streaming down her small face, she mumbled, "The turkey looked naked so I thought I would add color to it. Mom put the turkey in the pan then went to the pantry to get some spices. I quickly put a green crayon in the turkey." All of us breathed a sigh of relief when she confessed.
 




My younger sister seemed to always get in trouble. She was very defiant and stubborn.

Picture is from Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brenda Strauser All rights reserved.
Brenda Strauser has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.