Romance Fiction posted August 25, 2024 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sami and Noah's romance grows a little.

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 17 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, shut down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him.
Noah and Sami met 22 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

During lunch Sami was especially quiet. Noah studied her. "I know that look. What's on your mind?" As she started to speak, he interrupted, "One question at a time."

"I'm worried about Jasper. If they arrive, he'll need to use the bathroom."

Bob answered, "We should have enough time to take him out before they get here. I think they'll slow down as it gets hotter this afternoon. I know Jasper's quiet, but will you be able to keep him quiet with strangers outside?"

Noah tilted his head. "I hadn't thought of that."

Sami exhaled. "He should remain quiet unless he feels I'm threatened. Then I can't guarantee, but I'll do my best."

Noah hesitated and then continued, "Ladies, I've already mentioned the bedroom and the closet. If I give the signal go inside the closet. Take a pillow or something to sit on. Block the door with a chair so it won't be easily opened. Take Jasper with you, and water. We'll turn off the air conditioner, so it'll get hot. Don't come out until I give the password. Sarah, you know today's word, right?" After she nodded, he continued, "I don't know how long it'll take. Remember, nothing electrical or any noise. We want this place to appear abandoned."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 17 B


Jose held up the iPad. "They're taking a break."

"Good." Noah took a bite of his turkey sandwich. "I'll leave the air conditioner on as long as possible."

Bob said, "I turned the temperature lower, so it'll get cool in here in case we need to turn it off, hoping it won't get as hot."

"Good idea. Any questions?"

Silence continued as everybody reflected on their own thoughts.

Sami set down her glass of iced tea. "Noah, this is completely off the subject, but the circumstances caused me to think about it."

"Go on."

"For the past two years, I trained in Urban Krav Maga. I now qualify as an instructor. Until basketball season starts, I'm offering it as an after-school activity. If it's successful, I'm hoping the school board will allow me to add it to the second semester curriculum. I already teach a first semester of health, and I'd like to add Urban Krav Maga to the second semester to round out the entire year."

Noah's eyebrows rose. "I'm impressed."

"Thank you. I have a favor to ask." She inhaled. "Before school starts, I'm planning a parent meeting to explain the program. I think you talking with the parents about the need would be a huge help."

"Me? I have the social graces of a gorilla, remember?"

Sarah nodded. "I agree with Sami. I think you'd be the perfect person. You'll add a real life need to the meeting."

"I'll consider it. How's that?"

Sami stood. "I'll accept that for now. I know you guys are busy, so I'll take care of the kitchen."

Bob asked, "What's for dinner?"

"Not the greatest but quick and easy. I've made chili mac. All I need to do is reheat it. The salad is already made. I also made a Lemon Bundt cake."

Noah grinned. "Thank you."

As the rest headed toward the computer room, Sami went into the kitchen, and Noah remained seated.

It wasn't long before Noah stepped into the kitchen. "Sami, something's bothering me." When she turned from the sink, he continued, "With your self-defense training, why didn't you fight back against Big T?"

She turned toward the sink.

Noah touched her arm. "Sami, talk to me."

"Because."

His eyebrows crunched together. "And?"

"The way I was dressed made me feel cheap. That man, who ended up being Chen, wouldn't take no for an answer, and the working girls weren't helping. You came to my rescue. We went to that second-floor room. My humiliation grew. In the room, you intimidated me."

"That wasn't my intention."

"I know that now. Part of me knew it then, too." Sami exhaled. "Outside, you shoved money between my breasts, put your hand under my skirt, and rubbed my butt. I felt dirty and used. When Big T showed up, there was no fight left."

"I'm sorry." His eyes met hers. "Do I still intimidate you?"

"No. Not anymore."

Noah took Sami in his arms and kissed her forehead. "Good." He turned when he heard Bob call him. "Just a minute." He faced her again. "I'm sorry, but I'm needed."

"I know."

Starting to leave, Noah came back and kissed her. "I never want you to be afraid of me. I'll never hurt you."

"Thank you for saying that." She watched Noah go into the living room before he spoke with Bob, he turned and nodded. She smiled. He does care.

*****
Sarah and Sami sat on the couch and talked. Both ladies' heads turned as Noah said, "It appears our intruders have decided to go a different direction. We'll keep monitoring in case they change their minds." He touched Sami's shoulder. "Can I have a minute?"

"Sure." She followed him into the kitchen.

Holding her hand, he asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, the past is in the past. I'm good."

Noah leaned over and hugged her. "I'm glad."

"You're not supposed to do that."

"I know, but I couldn't stand the idea of something bothering you."

"Like I've said before, there's a soft and caring side to you."

"Our secret, remember?"

"Of course."

They kissed.

*****
Other agencies contacted Noah, letting him know they had arrested thirteen armed illegal aliens. It was possible there were more, so they'd need to remain on alert.

Noah relayed this information to the team and Sami.

"What does this mean for taking Jasper out?" asked Sami.

Petting the large dog's head, Noah said, "It means you're not taking him anywhere. Two of us will."

Sami's hands were on her hips. "He's my dog. It's not your job or responsibility."

Glancing at her, and then going into the computer room, Noah growled, "Wanna bet?"

She plopped on the couch. "That went well."

Sarah joined her. "He's upset and concerned. He didn't mean it the way it sounded."

Sami nodded. "I'm sure. Any idea how soon he'll expect dinner?"

"Not really."

"I'm going to my room and staying out of his way."

*****
About an hour later, a loud thud sounded from Sami's room. The four agents rushed in. Weapons drawn. Noah hurried to her lying on the floor as he replaced his gun. "Sami?"

"I'm fine." Sami jiggled her arms, stretched them, and then continued, "I was seeing if I could break my record with handstand pushups." She glanced at the floor. "I hit muscle failure and fell."

"How'd that happen?" asked Noah.

"Because I'm here, I'm more out of shape than I expected. My muscles got to the point where they..."

"I know," interrupted Noah.

"I guess I misunderstand the question."

Sighing, Noah said, "It was a rhetorical question."

"Sorry."

"Are you sure you're alright?" After Sami nodded, Noah left the room.

Bob caught up with him in the kitchen. "Boss, she's bored."

"I'm taking care of that." Noah jumped up and pushed open the attic door. As he pulled himself through, he said, "Wait, while I pass a few things down.

*****
It wasn't long before Noah and Bob stood at Sami's open door. Bob said, "Knock, knock."

Sami glanced up from her Solitaire game. "What's going on?"

Noah held out three different puzzle boxes and the bow and arrow. "I thought maybe these would help. Sorry, it took so long getting them."

Bob set some jigsaw puzzles on her dresser. "I hope these help. I'm betting Sarah would enjoy helping put these together." He turned. "I'll be in my room, duh, the computer room."

Walking up to Noah, Sami asked, "Noah?"

"We're all busy. You don't have anything to do so I went into the attic and got these."

"I know you're busy right now. I appreciate the thought. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He faced the computer room. "I'd better get back to work."

Sarah stood beside Sami and said, "That was the perfect opportunity for Noah to tell you how he felt, and he didn't. He can be so dense sometimes."

Sami searched through the jigsaw puzzles. "It's difficult for him to express himself. You know the old saying, 'actions speak louder than words'? He's shown he cares through his actions." She tilted her head. "Examples, getting these when he's busy. He let me go to Daddy's Father's Day celebration and he allowed me to see Mom in the hospital when she fell and broke her hip." Jasper came closer and nudged her hand. "Noah made sure this guy came along." She exhaled. "Do I need to continue? I can. He's done a lot to show he cares. He even risked his career the time he held me all night when I was hurting."

"But women like to hear the words. I know I do."

"It would be nice, but I understand that's not who Noah is. I can accept that."

Sarah touched Sami's arm. "Okay, but I wish he'd verbalize his feelings." After a long sigh, she said, "I need to get back to work."

Sami chose a puzzle and carried it to the dining room table and began sorting the pieces.

*****
After Sami had sorted about half the puzzle pieces, Bob and Noah walked by on the way to the kitchen for coffee.

Noah's eyebrows rose. "I'm glad you're enjoying the puzzle, but where we going to eat tonight?"

Sami studied the puzzle. "I guess I didn't think this through." She started picking it up.

Bob covered her hand with his. "Stop. I have an idea." He headed toward the computer room. "I'll be right back."

When Bob returned, he carried a large piece of cardboard. "Put your puzzle together on this. We can move it for meals. I'll need it back when we close this place, but until then you might as well use it."

"Thank you." Sami started moving the pieces over.

Sarah stood beside her. "I'll help. I'm not needed right now. The guys will call when I am." She glanced at the puzzle's lid. "This will be beautiful when it's finished. I love flowers."

"So do I." Sami tilted her head. "What's your favorite?"

"Asters and daisies. When Bob and I were married, I covered the church with pink, blue, and white asters and daisies."

"I bet it was beautiful, but I'm glad I wasn't there."

"Why?"

"I'm very allergic to them or anything in the aster family."

"Oh no!" Sarah laughed. "What flowers do you want at your wedding?"

Sami pointed. "Peonies. I'm thinking lavender and white peonies. Maybe a little pink thrown in."

Sarah's hand flew to her mouth. "I can't picture Noah with a lavender or pink boutonniere."

"I can't either. We don't know what the future holds." She hesitated. "He could have a white one."

"That would work."

Noah came by with his coffee cup. "I already need another one."

"Is there enough or should I make more?" asked Sami as she followed him into the kitchen.

"I can make it. You can continue with your puzzle."

Sami started to leave. "Okay."

"Sami, wait." When she faced him, he exhaled. "I want you to know I care more than circumstances allow."

She sighed and closed her eyes. "You heard Sarah and my conversation. I'm sorry."

"I'm not. Thank you for understanding." He took a sip of coffee. "I look forward to us getting out of here so we can see where our relationship goes.

~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl whom Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Ryan Brown - All around jerk. He thinks highly of himself.

Marc - Sami's old boyfriend.

Mateo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - a very close friend of Sami's; a rich playboy

Juan Pablo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - Mateo's father




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#6
August
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for photograph of a woman doing a handstand pushup. Yes, some people can really do them. I can't even do a handstand. I can do a pushup.

Next weekend I'll be on the Gulf Coast visiting my youngest son. I will probably post on Sunday, but not 100% positive. I will definitely post.

Chapter 17 is divided into two parts. This is the second portion of chapter 17. Chapter 17 B is a little over 1700 words.

Once again, I made a few changes as I posted.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.