Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 25, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
With help ...

I did it

by Wendy G


“I did it!”

It is always such a delight to hear Miss Three exclaim triumphantly, “I did it!”

I remember the first time she was able to climb out of the cot and onto the adjacent bed by herself, the first time she could reach the bathroom tap without needing the step stool, the first time she jumped off the top of the (not very high) slippery slide onto the grass….

And also the first time she walked Sunny around the small park, all by herself, and that first time she said “Sit!” and Sunny sat for her … all these wonderful achievements brought her much joy, reflected in her smiling face and shining eyes.

Her feeling of accomplishment was real and special. Had she consciously set herself these goals? Who knows? Regardless, to her they were markers of achievements which were important to her.

I too have had a few times in my life when I have achieved special goals, and also a few times when, although I had not set a specific goal, I accomplished something which was indeed significant. With each of these, I said, usually to myself, “I did it!”

At times, it was associated with academic success, or with teaching highlights; it was also experienced with the birth of each of my children. I know I said it in my heart after I taught myself to ride a bike with gears and wearing “proper” riding gear complete with cleats, at the age of sixty-one. I completed a 200-kilometre bike ride to raise funds for a cancer research and treatment hospital. I know I thought it when I beat three quarters of the young riders – which was, of course nearly everyone! Not that it was a race, I kept reminding myself. But it still felt good!

Today marks one such moment for me. For lots of others, this would not be a significant thing. Many have done this multiple times, and they have my admiration.

For me, this was not a goal I set for myself until very recently. But today I have achieved it.

This was not planned, and not expected. I had started small and nervously – as with my bike ride – but as time passed, I grew steadily more proficient. Training and practice, once more, were essential.  Also like the preparation for my bike ride, there were times when I felt I no longer had the desire to continue. I was ready to quit. But giving up does not sit well with me. I persevered, and continued through the down times, albeit more slowly.

This was just meant to be a little hobby, but at times it became urgent and even obsessive, disrupting sleep. At other times simply a joy and a pleasure. A delight. Like Miss Three’s delight. Does one ever get too old to enjoy such feelings? They may be simple and personal accomplishments, nothing much to be excited about in the big scheme of things. But satisfying, and a good feeling.

Today I reached the milestone of a thousand posts, the result of almost four years of writing. I have discovered treasures in my life experiences, I have found that I have indeed lived a rich life, albeit rarely an easy one. I have worked through memories, both good and bad.

I have reflected on the faithfulness of God throughout my life and been able to appreciate His guidance and help, along with His love. Yes, we do need to look back at times to gain a true perspective, and then move forward again with renewed vigour.

Best of all I look at life with fresh eyes, a newness of spirit. When I learned to paint, I was told that from then on, I would see the world differently, and this has certainly been true for my writing as well.

Thank you to all who, by your encouraging reviews, have enabled me to meet this milestone. Thank you to all who have shown me by your own writings the power and beauty of words.

Thank you to all who offered suggestions, wisdom, advice, and help. Thank you to all who have challenged me to write well, then to write better, and to seek to be my best self. Thank you for believing in me.

It is one thing to know such things in your head; but now, more than ever, I know it in my heart.

Thank you, for, with your support, I did it!





Post Number 1000
A Milestone Post

Recognized

#8
August
2024
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.