General Fiction posted August 22, 2024 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Naomi pays the price

A chapter in the book Spirited Justice

Spirited Justice Chap 13

by Begin Again




Background
"Beauty, Brawn, or Brains" was a global platform showcasing women's diverse talents, yet murders, accidents, and deceit haunted the pageant worldwide. Was there a common link or merely coincidence?
Being cautious, Angelo had parked his car a block away, blending it into the shadows of a quiet side street. He had moved quickly, staying close to the buildings as he approached Naomi's apartment. His pulse had quickened when he spotted a black sedan parked across the street. The car was a bad sign — Jose was here and, most likely, not alone.

He hadn't wasted a second. He'd slipped into the alleyway beside Naomi's building and took the back stairs two at a time, his senses on high alert. He'd reached the landing and found the spare key under the mat, the cold metal familiar in his hand. He silently unlocked the kitchen door and pushed it open, just in time to see two men sprinting out the front entrance.

"Naomi!" he called out, his voice tinged with fear.

His eyes quickly scanned the kitchen and living room, catching sight of the ransacked secret room. His heart pounded harder when he saw the chaos inside, but she wasn't there. Panic flared in his mind, urging him to move faster.

He raced down the hallway, dread twisted in his stomach like a slithering snake with each step. Bursting into her bedroom, Angelo's breath caught in his throat. The sight before him made his blood run cold. Naomi lay sprawled on the floor, motionless in a pool of blood seeping around her, staining the carpet a deep crimson. The sight was like a punch to the gut, freezing him in place for a split second.

"No — no, no, no," Angelo whispered, rushing to her side. He dropped to his knees, his hands trembling as he gently lifted her head. "Naomi, please wake up."

For agonizing seconds, there was nothing. Then, her eyelids fluttered, and a faint moan escaped her lips. Her gaze found his, filled with pain and fear. "Angelo, help me," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Angelo's mind raced. He knew he couldn't take her to the hospital. Jose would indeed find her there. And calling the police was out of the question; the situation was far too complicated and dangerous. He had to think fast.

Carefully, he scooped her into his arms, cradling her against his chest. He could feel her weak breath against his neck, and it spurred him into action. He needed to get her somewhere safe, somewhere hidden.

As Angelo carried her out of the apartment, a cold knot of fear tightened in his chest. The streets outside were eerily quiet, too quiet for his liking. He scanned the shadows, every dark corner and parked car, his instincts on high alert. He couldn't shake the feeling that Jose might still be nearby. The black sedan was gone, but that didn't mean Jose was.

Staying in the shadows, he carried her the block to his car. Every noise, every car passing by, sent a chill up his spine. After what seemed an eternity, he reached the car and gently laid her in the backseat. His eyes darted around the dimly lit street.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end as he slid into the driver's seat. A pair of approaching headlights glared in his rearview mirror. He waited, holding his breath and praying it wasn't the black sedan. As the car drove by, he expelled the air and started the car. His mind raced. Was that a shadow moving in the distance? Or was it just his imagination? He took one last look around and pulled away.

As he drove, he kept an eye on the mirror. His knuckles were white as he gripped the steering wheel. Every car that appeared behind him, every pair of headlights in the distance, sent a jolt of anxiety through him. He took a winding route, doubling back on streets, taking a side turn, anything to ensure he wasn't being followed.

He could barely hear Naomi's weak breaths as he drove. He contacted a retired doctor he knew who owed him a favor and could be trusted to keep this off the radar. The doctor agreed to meet them at the cabin.

*****

The tension in his chest eased slightly as Angelo navigated the final stretch of the dirt road leading to the secluded cabin. The woods closed in around them, their thick canopy providing cover from prying eyes. He was confident no one had followed him, yet it didn't erase the nagging worry that had settled in the pit of his stomach.

When he reached the cabin, Angelo parked his car and stepped out. The night was quiet except for the soft chirping of crickets. He carefully lifted Naomi from the backseat, cradling her against his chest as he approached the front door.

The cabin was dark except for a faint glow from the kitchen window. Angelo paused. He hadn't seen any cars, but the light suggested someone was inside. He couldn't afford to take any chances.

He laid Naomi on the wicker settee, took his gun out of the holster, and nudged the door open. As he stepped inside, his eyes immediately landed on a shadowy figure near the kitchen table. His heart skipped a beat. His finger gripped the trigger.

The warm aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air. The figure turned, and in the dim light, Angelo recognized the face.

"Jake?" Angelo's voice filled with relief.

The doctor nodded, setting down the coffee pot he'd been pouring from. "I hadn't been far from here when you called — my car's out back where your dad and I used to park. I hope you don't mind that I let myself in. Where's our patient?"

Angelo let out a long sigh of relief. "Of course not, but I must admit you gave me a scare." Angelo replaced his gun in the holster. "I'll get Naomi. She's right outside."

He stepped outside and returned carrying her, carefully laying her on the bed. "She's in bad shape. Doc."

Dr. Jake Hale, his dad's old fishing buddy, moved quickly to Naomi's side, his medical bag in hand.

"She's lost a lot of blood." Angelo swallowed hard. "It wasn't safe to take her to the hospital."

Jake nodded as he examined her, his hands moving with practiced efficiency. "Jose? This is Carlos Hernandez's son, right?"

Angelo nodded. "One and the same."

"You made the right call bringing her here," Jake murmured. "This wasn't a close call, Ang. She's lucky to be still alive." While he checked her vitals, he glanced toward Angelo. "There's a bag of O-negative blood in the refrigerator. Let's get it connected. Then I can stitch her up."

Angelo retrieved the blood. "Thanks, Doc. You thought of everything."

"That's my job. Besides, I owe you and your dad."

Angelo stared out the window, half expecting to see someone lurking in the darkness, but there was nothing — just the quiet of the woods and the occasional rustle of the leaves in the breeze.

As the night deepened, the cabin was steeped in a heavy silence, broken only by the crackling of the fire Angelo had lit to keep Naomi warm. Jake had left, promising to return with more supplies in the morning.

Naomi lay on the bed, her face pale and her breath shallow. Angelo sat beside her, his thumb gently stroking her cold fingers. His heart ached as he studied her fragile body, feeling helpless by everything that had happened.

"Please, Naomi," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion. "I need you to pull through this. You need to know how much you mean to me."

His words hung in the air. He didn't know how to channel his desperation and fear. Naomi's life was on the line, and the danger was far from over. Jose was still out there, and Angelo knew he couldn't protect her alone.

He leaned forward, resting his forehead against her hand. "We need help. Big time help. I don't know how we will get out of this mess, but I know I can't do it alone. I need you to stay with me, okay? I promise I'll find help."

Angelo closed his eyes, trying to steady his breathing.
 
A voice broke the quiet. "Will I do?"

He jerked upright, his heart racing. He hadn't heard anyone enter, but a shimmering shadow stood in the doorway.

"Eleanor!" He fought to catch his breath. "You startled me."

She offered an understanding smile as she moved closer to the bed, her eyes shifting to Naomi and then to him. "I heard your call for help." Her eyes narrowed as she gazed at Naomi. "It seems like you're in quite a bit of trouble."

Angelo nodded, running a hand through his hair. "You have no idea, but how did you find us?"

"You might say my heart works like a homing pigeon. When someone I care about needs me, I sense it. You asked for help, and I came." She held out her hand. "Come, have some coffee and something to eat. We need to talk."

"We can talk, but there's nothing here except for coffee."

Eleanor smiled. "That's not a worry. I'll order in." With a snap of her fingers, a large plate filled with a double burger, french fries, and cole slaw appeared on the table. "This should do for now."

For the first time all day, Angelo smiled. "Where have you been all my life? I didn't know I was hungry until now."

"I'll order groceries later, but can you eat and talk simultaneously for now?"

"For you, I'll even stand on my head if you want."

"I'll settle for the first two. Now, tell me what's going on." Eleanor poured him some coffee and settled into the chair across from him. "Let's have it."

Angelo took a huge bite out of the hamburger and smiled. "You're the best!"

"I appreciate the accolades, but I need you to tell me what's going on so I can help. It looks as if the young lady is in bad shape."

It's Jose — he's not going to stop until he gets what he wants. If he finds out she's still alive, he'll come after her again. If I hadn't arrived when I did, she would not be here right now."

Eleanor's expression hardened. "Jose from Mexico? I thought his father ordered him to stay out of the States."

"He doesn't listen too well. Flew as a stowaway on Carlos's plane when I was coming back from the Vila. Now Carlos blames me."

"Jose is a grown man, isn't he? Why does his father think you can be his babysitter?"

"There's more to it than that. All I know is that Carlos ordered me to get some papers from Naomi. But Jose had plans of his own."

"That explains his conversation with those men at the airport. I didn't understand everything, but they were determined to get some papers. I might have misunderstood, but I thought they were Beckett's papers, not Naomi's."

"They are, but he had everything at her apartment after the divorce. So since he's dead, they believe she's got them."

"What's so special about these papers?"

Angelo hesitated, glancing at Naomi before meeting Eleanor's gaze. "I don't know if I have all the details. It has something to do with a young woman who was in the pageant a few years ago. Supposedly, she was murdered, and her research papers disappeared. Beckett was investigating the case. He was the lawyer for her father."

Eleanor's eyes widened as she listened. Her mind raced as she connected the dots. "A pageant contestant is murdered, and her research papers disappear. Did they find a suspect?"

"Yeah, her father. He's serving time in the state prison."

"Her father? Why would he kill his own daughter for her research? He would have plenty of opportunity to copy it if he wanted."

"Makes sense to me. But the jury convicted him, even though he claimed he was innocent."

"And the papers?"

"No one ever found them, at least until now. Arthur and Naomi spent a weekend partying in Mexico with Jose, and according to Carlos, Beckett told Jose he had them."

"Angelo, remember that University student at the airport? He tried to rape a young girl today. Her name is Hilda and she also was presenting her research work to the pageant. There must be a connection."

"You think the two girls and their research are connected somehow?"

Eleanor nodded. "It's too much of a coincidence. I wonder if there have been any other similar cases over the years?"

Angelo felt a chill run down his spine. "If that's true, those papers are even more dangerous to whomever has them than I thought. We need to find them before Jose does — or worse, before someone else pulling the strings gets to them."

"You need to stay with Naomi. Is the doctor coming back in the morning?"

"Yes, Jake said he would."

"Can he be trusted?"

"With my life, Eleanor. He's an old army buddy of Dad's, and they are brothers to the core."

"Okay. I'm going to leave and see if I can round up some reinforcements. If you need me, call me."

"There's only sporadic phone reception out here."

"Just yell. I'll hear you wherever I am." Eleanor smiled and faded into the night.

Angelo laughed. "That woman's got some strange ways, but she sure can whip a good meal." Angelo popped a salty french fry into his mouth. "Think I'll keep her around."



Recognized


Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner
Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective
Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor
Dylan - Eleanor's nephew and art curator
Matthew Donatelli -- Detective
Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant
Emily - Jenna's faithful assistant
Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer/ex-lover of Donatelli -
Arthur Beckett - deceased lawyer, friend, and enemy of Naomi
Patti Beckett - ex-wife from a nasty divorce
Lila - a pageant contestant who was murdered for her research
Sophia - :Lila's sister (blind)
Max - Sophia's best friend and guide dog
Hilda - a pageant contestant and medical researcher
Klaus - Hilda's older brother and protector
Johan - a supposed friend of Hilda's family with a connection to Jose
Angelo Carter - a private investigator with a dark side
Carlos Hernandez - a Mexican landowner with power
Jose Hernandez - Carlos's son - a reckless playboy
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.