Romance Fiction posted August 11, 2024 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Noah reveals some of his past.

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 16 C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, shut down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him.
Noah and Sami met 21 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jose came up to Sami. "Wanna dance?"

"Sure. Is dancing with a person in protective custody allowed?"

He chuckled. "I don't know and really don't care. I'm not a stickler for rules."

She giggled. "I won't tell Noah."

Shaking his head, Jose said, "You're impossible."

"Noah has mentioned that on occasion."

"Not surprised."

They continued dancing until John came over again. "Young man, mind if I dance with my daughter? I'm sure she'll have to leave soon, and I don't know when I'll see her again."

Jose stepped away. "Please enjoy your daughter's company. Sir, all I can say is it shouldn't be too long before you get your daughter back."

John nodded. "I pray you're right."

Father and daughter danced for three dances before they went over and visited with Sami's mom.

TODAY'S POST:

The sun lowered in the Western sky before Noah walked to where Sami sat. Her eyes met his. "Is it time to leave?"

"Almost. I'm wondering if you'd dance with me."

"Of course, it is allowed?"

"Not sure." He drew her closer. "But I'm willing to take the risk."

Sami rested her head against his chest. "Is this allowed?"

"Probably not, but the hug and kiss you shared with me earlier wasn't allowed either, so who cares."

"True. You did say, I could do me, and you'd do professional."

He chuckled. "I did, didn't I?" He hesitated and kissed her forehead. "I'm pretty sure I'm messing that up." After a few silent moments, he said, "I doubt your family will complain. It seems the team isn't worried about us."

"Noah?" After he nodded, Sami continued, "Everything's going to be okay, isn't it?"

"I can't promise, but I think so."

"I pray it is."

A few more dances passed, before everyone started cleaning up.

Sami sighed and backed from Noah's arms. "As much as I'm enjoying this, I need to help."

"I know."

As Noah and the team helped with cleaning up, Noah kept an eye on Sami. He paused when he noticed Angela handed her an elongated small box. What's going on? With Sami it could be anything. He moved closer to get a better look. A pregnancy test kit. I guess there's a man in her life she hasn't mentioned. Probably that playboy.

On the way to Safe House E, the team discussed Sami's family. Noah remained stoic.

*****
Jose parked inside the garage, and everyone walked to the house. When Bob opened the front door, Jasper greeted them. Noah took Sami's hand. "You're coming with me. Jose, take out Jasper. He'll get his walk later." He led Sami to the security cabin.

Inside Noah yelled, "When were you going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Her eyes widened. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He reached into her jeans' pocket and grabbed the pregnancy test. "This! You're pregnant!"

"Pregnant? No way. I haven't had sex for over three years." She hesitated. "You have no right reaching into my pocket."

Noah gulped. "You're right. I don't." He thought. "Why'd you have your sister get this?"

Sami studied her feet.

"What's going on? If not you..." Silence continued, before Noah asked, "Sarah?" He started out the door.

Sami put both hands against Noah's chest and pushed back. "No."

"Sarah can't be in the field."

"Noah! Stop! Listen!" Sami continued pushing him backward. Noah stepped back until he was by a chair, and Sami ordered, "Sit!"

He sat and when she sat on his knee, he put his arm around her waist. "You obviously know what's going on. What?"

"After Lila died, Bob and Sarah decided not to have another baby for a few years."

Noah tilted his head. "It hasn't been that long."

"I know. Sarah says she doesn't know how it happened. She's afraid Bob will be upset and didn't want to say anything until, she's sure."

"I'm sure they know how it happened."

"They were careful so it wouldn't."

After a pause, Noah said, "Bob loves Sarah. He'll be fine with it."

"I told Sarah the same thing. They were going to save their money so she could be a stay-at-home mom. You need to be patient until Sarah tells you."

"She's in the field. Pregnant agents can't be in the field. She needs a desk job."

"The way I see it, Chen might recognize her because she worked at the diner, so she's in protective custody."

"You're rewriting the rules again." When Sami rested her head against his chest, he added, "I understand your thinking."

"Thank you." There was a period of silence before Sami continued, "Noah, thank you for today. I really appreciate it. I'll never forget it."

"You're welcome."

"Under that gruff exterior you're soft and caring."

"Do me a favor and don't tell anyone."

She raised her head, and her eyes met his. "It'll be our secret." Her head returned to his chest.

Noah released a deep breath. "I need to share something."

Her eyes, again, met his eyes. "You sound serious."

"I am." He paused and took a few deep breaths. "I had just turned eighteen and aged out of the orphanage. I was one of the lucky ones. The powers to be thought I deserved a chance at an education. I got an all-expense paid trip to college, at least the freshman year. If I did well, I'd get another year."

"Since you're a college graduate, you must have done well."

"I did. I also got a job and worked my way through." He silently studied the ceiling.

"You don't have to say anything."

"I need to." He paused. "A young girl, Ella was the reason I did well. She was barely fourteen. I think she thought of me as a big brother, or maybe boyfriend. I'm not sure. Anyway, she looked up to me. I kept an eye on her and protected her. One day, a group of us guys had a pickup basketball game and some beer."

"Street basketball?"

"Yes." After a long silence, Noah continued, "Partway through the game, Ella stood on the corner across the street and motioned she needed me. I acknowledged her but kept playing ball and drinking." His arm tightened around Sami's waist. "A 1990's Chevrolet Caprice gray metallic low rider pulled up and forced her inside. I ran over but was too late. I never saw her again. If I wasn't drunk and had paid attention, she'd be alive today. It was the last time I drank."

His jaw set, and he was silent for a long while. "About six years later as a young agent, I was searching through some cold case files and accidentally discovered hers. She'd been murdered. Never knew if it was a john, pimp, or a random act. She'd been brutally beaten with little to no evidence. She was a homeless drug addict, unimportant to the authorities." He exhaled. "It was my fault and still haunts me today. I had to rescue those girls for Ella."

Sami put her arms around his neck and held tight. "I understand. I never questioned you. It was the right thing to do."

"I've never shared this with anybody."

"I won't either. Thank you for trusting me. I know it was hard." Her head leaned against his chest, again. "Will you promise me something?" Noah nodded, so Sami continued, "Promise after you arrest Chen and our lives go back normal, you won't forget me."

Noah used his finger to raise her chin. His kiss lingered, before he said, "I could never forget you." His arm not around her waist went under her legs, he stood, lifting her. Holding her, his kiss seemed to be suspended in time. He set her down, so her feet touched the floor. "I think we'd better go inside."

Sami swallowed. "I agree."

After Noah opened the front door, Sarah called, "Sami, can we talk in your room?"

Sami studied Jasper.

Noah said, "See what Sarah wants. I'll take him for a walk."

*****
Inside Sami's room, Sarah closed the door and whispered, "We need to stay quiet. I don't want anybody hearing." When Sami handed her the pregnancy test kit, she continued, "Thank you." She read the directions. "Do you mind if I keep it in here?"

"Of course not. You're always welcome. Are you going to do it in the morning?"

Sarah nodded. "Probably when you're out with Jasper. Maybe while you make breakfast." She studied Sami. "What's wrong? Is Noah upset over something?"

"Noah's fine."

"What's going on? Something's up."

"Noah kissed me, twice."

"Is it a bad thing?"

"No, but..."

"But what?" interrupted Sarah. "It looks like you enjoyed it."

"I did, but now what?"

"We hurry and get Chen arrested so you two can have a real date. I already hear wedding bells."

"I can't see Noah married with kids and a white picket fence."

Sarah smiled. "Neither could I until he met you."

*****
After Noah and Jasper returned, he knocked on Sami's door. When she answered, he asked, "Is everything all right?"

"Yes. Thank you for taking care of Jasper."

"Not a problem. Be ready for a run in the morning. Goodnight."

"I will. Goodnight."

~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl whom Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Ryan Brown - All around jerk. He thinks highly of himself.

Marc - Sami's old boyfriend.

Mateo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - a very close friend of Sami's; a rich playboy

Juan Pablo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - Mateo's father



Recognized

#11
August
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for photograph of a pregnancy test.

Chapter 16 is divided into three parts. This is the third and final part of chapter 16. Chapter 16 C is a little under 1400 words.

I've been copying and pasting this story getting it ready to send to my publisher so he can get to his team of editors. I'm over half done posting this story here. I'm shocked so much time had passed that as I'm reading, I'm finding all sorts of errors. I'm surprised many of you didn't catch them. Once again, I made a few changes as I posted.

I appreciate all the encouraging support you give my writing. Thank you for the time you take to review my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.