Fantasy Fiction posted August 12, 2024 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A time for decisions.

A chapter in the book Return To Concorde Valley

Finale Part 1

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Years after a fire took her parents' lives, Echo worked at a small town newspaper. She was rescued from danger by her old friend, Theo, who took her to live in his world, one full of its own danger.
End of last chapter:

Hades made a growling sound. "So what's your point, Apollo? Are you ready to throw young Theo underground and see how he fares?"

"Not at all. I propose to take your place, and give Theo mine. Clearly I was bored with my job, and I'm quite certain the Underworld could use a little sunshine."

"You forget one important point, Apollo. I'm not ready to give up my job."

"And you forget another," Hypnos and Thanatos said together. They raised their hands and swept in a second, and greater, blinding mist.

 
New Chapter Begins:
 
The mist slowly faded, leaving behind an eerie darkness. In it, the figures of Thanatos and Hypnos became more distinct. Virile in their own way, they emanated a compelling power that was more attractive than their appearance. It was also frightening.

Everyone in the garden fell to their knees in obeisance. They were in the presence of a royalty greater than any on Mount Olympus.

Hades knelt on the ground, as well, one hand on the ground for support, the other at his throat. He gasped in an agony only Theo and Hermes could relate to. It was clear Hades had lost his immortality, and was reacting to the feeling of decay taking over a body that was once undying.

"Please stand, Theo," Thanatos said. His face was stoic, but his eyes were kind. He pointed to the deposed god. "End it now, young king."

Hermes stood with Theo and handed him his golden bow and an arrow. Theo placed the arrow in the string.

He stared at the man who had caused so much devastation to his land and people, and felt a mixture of anger and pity. There was a part of him that wanted to grant immunity to his uncle and to hope for his rehabilitation, but he had a job to do. He aimed the arrow at Hades' black heart.

"Wait," Apollo said. He stood to his feet as well. "Let me do this, Theo. It's the tradition of the Council to take care of their own. We should have dealt with him long ago. Thanatos, with your leave... "

"It's up to Theo. He's in charge of this mission."

Theo glanced around the group, each participant meeting his eyes and nodding. He shrugged his shoulders and handed the weapon to his elder cousin.

Apollo took the weapon and pointed it at Hades. Looking down in disgust, he walked closer.

"Stand up," he demanded, "and receive your fate like a man."

Hades remained on his knees. "I'm not a man," he replied, "and thanks to all of you, I'm no longer a god, either. Do what you must, but don't expect me to cooperate."
 


 
Apollo looked intently at Hades, his face as serious as Echo had ever seen it. "The Prophecy said you would be defeated. We've done that, but it said nothing about having to kill you."

Hades faced the sun god. "But you have killed me. Already I feel a shroud of death on my body and the smell of my rotting flesh."

"Stop being so melodramatic," Apollo said. "Yield to me and swear allegiance to Zeus. I'm prepared to spare your life."

Hades splayed his hands in front of him. "What will I do then? Go into exile until I die?"

"Yes, exile is what we offer, but you can live in your castle on Mount Olympus... where we can watch you closely." 

"I'd rather be dead," Hades said. "Go ahead and shoot me."

"Please don't," a female voice said.
 
Everyone turned as a beautiful woman strolled into the garden. Long blonde hair swept around her back and shoulders. Beautiful blue eyes graced her face like pieces of colorful diamonds. Her smile was deep and charming.

"We can have a garden with flowers like you used to tell me about, Hades, and a waterfall with goldfish swimming around a pond. And then we'll have a son, and he'll play in the garden and learn to love his famous father."

"Persephone," Hades said. He rose slowly to his feet. "Why did you come here?"

"Because Theo and his friends asked me to," she said.
She reached out a delicate hand and took his large one in hers, "and because I remember a time, long ago, when I loved you the way Echo loves Theo, long before you turned my feelings to hate."

"But I'm mortal now. I can't be with you long."

"In our house in Olympia, I'll give you all twelve months of the year, so we can enjoy what time you have left." Persephone touched his face tenderly. "I have lived with the memory of my love for you all these years, even in the months of darkness."

For a moment, no one spoke. They seemed stricken mute by the scene unfolding before them.

Hades stroked her face with one hand. "Could you forgive me for all I've done? I've hurt you, and almost cheated on you with Echo."

Echo managed to give an unattractive snort at those words. Persephone gave her a quick wink, and they both smiled.

"I can forgive the kind Hades I know lives deep wthin your heart, but the evil one gets left here today, or we're finished."

Hades took in a deep ragged breath and let it out slowly. His face betrayed conflicts on many levels.

Apollo cleared his throat. "Do you yield, and give up your authority?"

Hades stepped away from Persephone and knelt to the ground.

"Yes, I yield, and plead for my life," Hades looked at Persephone with rare tears in his handsome eyes.

"Call off your men on the battlefield," Apollo commanded.

Hades nodded and let out a piercing whistle. He repeated the sound three times.

"It is done," he said.

"Just like that?" Theo asked.

"Yes, on that signal, they were told to lay down their weapons and return to the Underworld. I had planned to do that if Echo had come to me willingly, seriously, I did. I keep my bargains."

"Then you have your mercy," Apollo decreed. "Persephone, make him immortal again."

"Love's first kiss," she said, and reached over and kissed the mouth that once repulsed her. Hades returned the kiss as immortality once more filled his body. Smiling warmly for the first time in centuries, he turned and faced Apollo.

"Here are the keys to the Underworld," he said, tossing a ring of skeleton keys to his nephew. "Don't forget to let the dog out."
 
 


 
 
"What dog?" Apollo asked.

"Cerebus, my three headed pal," Hades answered. "He guards the entrance to the Underworld. You might have a little trouble getting past him, though. I'm not sure he'll like the way you smell."

"Thanks," Apollo said. "Anything else I need to know?"

"Yeah, you'll have to tip the boatman at the river Styx. He's pretty nice if you treat him right."

"I'll send a messenger if I need to know anything else."

"Do that," Hades said, and then walked over to Echo and put his hand on her arm. She recoiled involuntarily. "I was wrong about one thing. I told you I couldn't be reformed."

"I knew you could," she said smiling now. "Good luck to both of you. But remember what I said, Hades, take your time and do it right."

Hades nodded and then took Persephone by the hand. "Apollo, Hermes, let's go free Mount Olympus before Thanatos takes another shot at me.

"I'll be happy to do that, if you mess up again," Thanatos stated, giving everyone around a chill. "I will remember this day forever, Hades. I will always watch over your shoulder for you to mess up. I'm not as forgiving as the others here. Don't forget that."

"I won't," Hades said. "I understand your power more than anyone else here, and I respect it."

"See you always do. Apollo, we'll be watching you as well. We don't want to have to return for any of you."

Apollo smiled with his usual warmth and nodded. "I would expect no less."

Thanatos and Hypnos nodded to all, then faded away.



Recognized


AI Images from IZEA

One more chapter, friends, and then I'll start a new book. Thanks so much for being such loyal readers and reviewers!!! This is only the second book I've actually completed on this site.

Book Summary so far:

Young Echo Jones is overlooked by First Responders as she hides in a wheat field during a house fire. Both parents killed in the fire, she escapes into an ancient forest behind her home. Alone and afraid, she meets up with a young boy, Anthos, nicknamed Theo, from mysterious origins that tends to her while searching for help.

20 years later, Echo is working for a newspaper called the Taylorville Sun. Among other duties, she investigates a serial killer who has now struck in her small town.

After being stalked by enemies intent on stopping her investigation, Theo, now a man, returns to rescue her from a demonic force. After a battle outside Echo's apartment complex, Echo and Theo fled through the trees toward his homeland, Concorde Valley, an undisclosed place near or within the Great Forests of Southern United States.

Theo takes Echo into Concorde Valley where she is tended to by Phoebus, Theo's father of many roles. He patches her up and sends her with Theo to meet the family.

Theo receives a missive from the 12 gods, via the rascally Hermes, instructing him to free the gods being held captive on Mount Olympus and defeat the enemy Hades.

With the help of family members, some of Greek Mythological fame, Theo sets out to save the world.

Characters:

Echo Jones: Young girl left stranded by a fire that took her home and parents in the first part of the book, then as an adult, she's an investigative reporter for a small town newspaper.


Theo: Named Anthos by his parents. Protagonist of the book, and Echo's love interest..

Specters/men in dark clothing: Minions of the Enemy. Have eyes that turn red when they're angry. Can appear as normal humans, serve the Enemy.

Kitty Sunshine, aka Sunny: Echo's Russian Blue cat


Theo, A nickname for Anthos: An 8-year-old, of mysterious origins, who finds young Echo in the forest and tends to her needs. We see him later as a grown man who rescues Echo once again.

Georgios: One of Phoebus' Captains. Theo's half brother

Phoebus: King of Concorde Valley, Theo's father
Diantha: Queen of Concorde Valley, Theo's mother
Poseidon: god of the Sea, Theo's grandfather
Hermes: messenger god, warrior, boyish charm; Theo's 2nd cousin, one of the ruling 12.
Apollo: Hermes' elder brother, sun God, and more. One of the ruling 12. Currently on sabbatical.

Rebecca: Theo's 25-year-old sister. She's married to Henry and has a baby Caitlyn
Henry: Rebecca's husband.
Adam: Theo's 21-year-old brother
Phillip: Theo's 17-year-old brother
Helen: Theo's 10-year-old sister
Hannah: Theo's 7-year-old sister who loves animals and can talk to them in their own language.
Mary: Rebecca's mother-in-law and a woman who is like a grandmother to the kids.

Mageia: Old Sorcerer who lives in Carack Valley. Used to work for Hades.
Thanatos: One of Nix's twin sons. He supersedes Hades as controller of death.
Hypnos: One of the twin sons. He lulls people to sleep
Nyx: Female personification of the night. Mother to many primordial beings, feared even by Zeus.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.