General Fiction posted August 10, 2024 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Brian sets up a double date

A chapter in the book DUEL with the DEVIL

DUEL with the DEVIL - Chapter 25

by Jim Wile




Background
A brilliant young chemist creates a new opioid with unknown benefits and pitfalls.
Recap of Chapter 24: Brian visits Julia at Juilliard during the first semester of their freshman year. He arrives just in time to hear her play in a string quartet performance. Brian is awed by the beautiful performance. Following Julia’s part of the concert, they head back to her dorm room, where her roommate will be gone for a while, and they have sex for the first time in 10 weeks.
 
They talk about their respective roommates, and Brian asks if it would be possible for Julia to visit him sometime at NC State. Her school lets out a week earlier than Brian’s at semester end, and she promises to visit then.
 
 
Chapter 25
 
 
As the semester progressed, my study habits improved, and I came to enjoy the rigor of the classes. The lab section of organic chemistry was my favorite, although it was extremely challenging. I had taken organic chemistry last year in high school, but the college version was an order of magnitude in difficulty above that. The lab section was especially enjoyable to me, though, partly because the professor and I hit it off so well.
 
Dr. Paul Rieke was an excellent explainer and was able to make difficult concepts very understandable. He was an older gentleman with graying hair. He wore glasses and had a very pleasant demeanor. I didn’t have a class following the lab and would often hang around afterwards and help him straighten up while asking him questions. He fielded anything I asked without making me feel uptight about asking.

Daniel and I continued with our workouts in the gym, going about three times a week. We also took most of our meals together. While sitting in the cafeteria, his eyes often looked around, primarily at girls, yet he’d never been out with one since the semester began.

I asked him about this one day, near the end of the semester. “I see you eyeballing the girls around here. What’s keeping you from asking one out?”

“I am very shy with girls, Brian. I have not been out with a girl before, even at home. I have tried talking to them once or twice, but I always seem to say something silly. They make me very nervous.”

“Have you ever thought they might be nervous too? I’m sure they would be willing to put up with a clumsy attempt from a good-looking guy like you. You’ve got to start somewhere. Are you choosy?”
 
“Choosy?”

“You know, maybe you only want to date black girls?”

“I do not care what the color of their skin is or their nationality. No, I am not choosy.”

“Look, Julia is coming for a visit next week. Perhaps if we double date with you and a girl, it’ll be easier for you. What do you think?”

“But I am too afraid to ask any girl out. I would have to talk to her first, and she would probably turn me down.”

“When you talked to Julia through Skype that first time, you didn’t seem at all nervous about talking to her.”

“That was somehow different. I did not have to try to impress her into going on a date with me. That is when I get nervous.”

“Tell you what. I know a cute Japanese girl in this dorm who happens to be my lab partner in chemistry. How about if I set up a date for you? It can be a blind double date. Then we can prepare for it ahead of time, and I can coach you a little. What do you say?”

He thought it over, and then a smile crossed his face. He really was very handsome. “I will do it, Brian. Is she here in this cafeteria now?”

I looked around but didn’t see her. “She isn’t right now, but I’ve noticed her eating here a few times. She wears glasses, and she may be a bit nerdy, but she’s very nice. Somewhat shy like you.”

“What is this ‘nerdy’ you mention? I do not know this word.”

“It means she is a STEM student and serious about her studies.”

“Stem student? You mean she is a student of botany?”

I smiled. “STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. Most nerds are into one or more of those subjects. She seems like kind of a serious type.”

“I do not mind that. Julia is very serious about music, and you have fun with her, do you not?”

“Oh, yeah. Being a nerd doesn’t mean you don’t like having fun. You might have a lot in common with her. You never know until you talk to her.”

“But what should I say to her?”

“Well, when you first meet her, tell her how nice she looks. You can ask her about what she’s studying and the things she likes to do in her spare time. She’ll probably ask you about yourself too. Just be honest; there’s no need to exaggerate or make stuff up. You’d be a great catch just the way you are.”

“’A great catch?’ You mean like a fish?”

“Exactly.”

“That is a good thing, yes? The Japanese do eat a lot of fish. Thank you, Brian. Maybe this will not be so difficult after all.”
 
 
 

It was the last week of the semester. Most of my finals were over, and I only had one more this week. I was anticipating good grades. I was proud of myself for knuckling down and studying hard. The pressure was off now, and I was looking forward to Julia’s visit.

As we had discussed, Julia came during that final week. She had been home for a few days and made the two-hour trip, planning to stay for two days and nights with me. Her parents hadn’t asked where she planned on staying. Most likely, they knew.

I had previously asked Daniel if it would make him feel uncomfortable if Julia slept in my bed with me. I promised we wouldn’t fool around while he was in the room, and he said he had made arrangements with another guy on our hall to sleep in his room because his roommate had already gone home for Christmas break. What a guy!

Daniel was there when she knocked on our door late that Saturday afternoon. I opened it, and we had a big hug and kiss for each other. Then I introduced them.

Daniel’s eyes lit up. “Julia, it is so good to see you in person rather than on that small screen. You are even more beautiful in person!”

Julia went in for a hug, and he put his arms around her tentatively. “It’s so good to meet you at last, Daniel. It sounds like you and Brian have become very close. That’s wonderful.”

She finally broke off the hug, to Daniel’s apparent relief, but he continued smiling at her.

Turning to me, she said, “So where can a girl get something to eat around here? I skipped lunch, and I’m starving.”

“Why don’t we all go down to dinner together? The cafeteria food here is quite good. Huge variety of stuff. I’d avoid the sushi, though. Not too fresh.”

Hand-in-hand, we walked ahead while Daniel followed behind. When we entered the cafeteria, Julia was indeed impressed by the number of international food stations, and piled her plate with small quantities of a variety of things.

Over dinner, we discussed the double-date plan. Julia was excited about it and happy for Daniel.

I had talked to the prospective date, whose name was Kimiko Yamada, after class last week, and, although hesitant at first, she eventually relented. She confessed to me that she was shy and hadn’t had many dates, and I said that was okay, and that I thought the two of them might hit it off.
 
 
 

The following day was the date. Julia, Daniel, and I put on nice-looking clothes. Julia was adorable in a short skirt over leggings. She also wore that beret that I loved. Daniel and I both wore sweaters and slacks rather than jeans. We would be dining at a small Italian restaurant first, then going to a movie afterwards.

Together, the three of us walked downstairs to Kimiko’s room on the second floor.

“Daniel, remember—compliment her appearance, ask about her studies, ask her about her spare time, and whatever else you came up with.”

“I will do it.”

When Kimiko opened the door, I took the lead and introduced her to Julia and Daniel, who appeared to be gaping at her. She had replaced her glasses, probably with contacts, for the date. She was petite like Julia, and she looked very cute in a skirt as well as a pretty top.

Daniel stood there, continuing to gape, and I gave him a slight nudge with my arm.

“Greetings, Kimiko. You are a foxy-looking chicken,” he said.

No one said anything, but I cringed. Kimiko looked embarrassed and didn’t reply. I groaned inwardly, and with that fine start, I suggested that we head to the restaurant now. God knows what we might be in for.
 
 



Recognized


CHARACTERS


Brian Kendrick: The narrator of the story. At the beginning of the story, he is 12 years old and in 6th grade in Kernersville, North Carolina.

Francine (Fran) Kendrick: Brian's older sister. She is 18 at the beginning of the story and goes to junior college, where she studies law enforcement.

Chloe: Brian and Fran's cat.

Sandi MacReady: She is a pretty blond and Brian's crush in high school.

Derek Shafer: Brian's best friend and lawn mowing partner.

Josh Bennett: Sandi's boyfriend. He's the center on the high school basketball team.

Don Robbins: A high school acquaintance of Brian's. He is a rich kid who throws a summer rave party when his parents are away.

Rafael Ortiz (Raffi): Youth therapy group leader at the rehab facility.

Julia Entwistle: One of the six members of the youth therapy group at rehab. She is 16 when we first meet her, plays the violin, and is addicted to barbiturates.

Alphonse: One of the boys in the youth therapy group. He is a cutup.

Henry: Another boy in the youth therapy group. He is also a cutup.

Alex: One of the girls in the youth therapy group.

Robert Entwistle: Julia's father.

Dr. Marie Schmidt: Julia's mother.

Helen Landry: A friend of Julia's mother. Julia stays with her during her audition at Juilliard in NY.

Mike Pekarsky: Fran's boyfriend who she met on her Caribbean cruise.

Daniel Molebatsi: Brian's undergrad college roommate. He is from Botswana and is a business major.

Dr. Paul Rieke: Brian's organic chemistry professor.

Kimiko Yamada: Brian's organic chemistry lab partner. She is from Japan and also resides in his and Daniel's dorm.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jim Wile All rights reserved.
Jim Wile has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.