General Non-Fiction posted August 7, 2024 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
You live and you learn...I guess...

A chapter in the book College Stories(Memories of Finn)Q2

Joy is Such a Human Madness

by RainbewLatte

I was on another one of my frequent calls with a friend (having escaped a suitemate who unnecessarily wanted to meet) when I started packing my belongings—two books and a laptop. It seemed courteous to not be overly enthusiastic in my room while my roommate was busy. As I pondered how to carry my books without an extra bag or awkwardly tucking them under my arm, I had a stroke of genius: why not snugly fit them into the pocket of my laptop bag? They were novellas, after all, not too long or large.

Genius, I know.

What I didn’t anticipate was the consequence of this seemingly brilliant idea. Heading down the stairs of my dorm, then back up, before finally settling in an unoccupied cubicle-like space at the end of a hall, I quickly realized the sin I had committed in carelessly stuffing a book I had just bought fresh off the shelf that afternoon (which cost a pretty penny) into a laptop bag “like that.” 

I had braved the rainy, wet, and unideal bookstore parking lot terrain just to keep that book dry and pristine.

I was more than willing to let the book wind and meander its way into well-loved territory, but only after I had given it a read.

As I freed T. Kingfisher’s What Moves the Dead (a USA Today bestseller!) from the shackles of my laptop bag, my heart sank. 

The cover, once pristine, now had a gut-wrenching crease (as gut-wrenching as the book itself) running from the “S” in “Kingfisher” to the “O” in “Today.”

I stood there, staring at the damaged, jaw-dropping cover, feeling like I had just committed a literary crime. My book had gone from "mint condition" to "folded disgrace" in mere minutes. 

I guess some genius ideas are better left in the brainstorming phase. As for my book, it now serves as a reminder that not all shortcuts are worth taking, and some days, it's best to just let the book warm under your arm.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. RainbewLatte All rights reserved.
RainbewLatte has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.