Romance Fiction posted August 4, 2024 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Father's Day

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 16 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, shut down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him.
Noah and Sami met 21 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Galvin headed toward his car. "I'm done here."

Sami called after him. "You can't leave. I'm in protective custody. You need to make sure I'm safely inside. It's a rule, remember? You don't even follow policy unless it suits you. Go figure."

He stomped to the front door and pulled the handle. The alarm sounded. "They'll know you're there." He hurried, again, to his car.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 B

Jose answered the door and pressed the code to turn off the alarm. "Welcome back."

"How upset's Noah?" asked Sami.

"He asked about a resume builder. Does that give you a clue?" Jose pointed toward the computer room. "He's in there."

Sami headed toward her room. "I'll talk with him later." She whispered, "After he's cooled down."

Jose placed his hand on the small of her back. "No, you don't. This way."

Noah's muscular frame met her inside the doorway, and she forced a smile. "Hi, Noah."

He grinned. "Hello."

As the team started leaving, Sami said, "Please don't go."

Noah tilted his head. "Why'd you suggest the team stay?"

"You might get loud."

"I could, but they'd hear everything any way."

"True."

"Why don't we talk? Do you have any questions?"

"Not really. Why?"

"You always have questions. Why not now?"

"You're making conversation for the sake of conversation. That's never good."

"I'm waiting for you to tell me what's on your mind."

"Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Galvin's a poor supervisor. Or maybe I shouldn't have threatened to turn him into his supervisor, but his comment was sexist."

"You were right both times, and he knew it. That's why he left so fast. It was interesting you pointed out the rules." Noah grinned. "You never follow them, but at least you know them."

"It's all I could think of at the time."

"I see." Noah faced his team. "Please remind me never to allow Sami and Galvin to be alone again."

Three voices said, "Roger that, Boss."

"Noah?" When his eyebrows rose, Sami continued, "Will you get another chance to arrest Chen?"

"I thought you might ask." He exhaled. "All I can say is probably, but not sure. The reason we went in last night was because Mateo reported there were a dozen or so minors working there. I had to rescue those girls. I couldn't ignore it. He'd mentioned Chen had left. The reason he took the girl to the restaurant was to protect her. I knew and okayed it."

"I trust your judgement and you did what you thought was best. I'm sorry I've caused trouble with Mr. Baldwin."

Rubbing his unshaven chin, Noah said, "Galvin and I've had problems for years. You might have brought it to a head. We'll see." He sipped coffee. "Or you might have frightened him, and he'll back down. I doubt anybody has spoken to him like that before."

Jose said, "You have a few times."

"True. I haven't been fired yet. Let's go outside and talk. I'll shower and shave later." Noah glanced at Jasper. "He can come too."

Outside Noah glanced towards the pond. "Can we sit here? I've only had about an hour of sleep."

Sami nodded, and they sat on the porch steps, before she said, "You're making me nervous. What's this about?"

"I was impressed with the way you handled Galvin." Noah grinned. "I knew you were a gutsy lady, but I didn't realize until now how gutsy."

"I'm worried I've caused problems."

"Nothing I can't handle."

"Are you sure? Jose mentioned you asked about a resume builder."

Chuckling, Noah said, "I did. Don't worry about it." He hesitated for a moment. "I will stop Chen. I want you out of here as soon as possible." When Sami's eyes widened, he said, "That didn't sound right, did it?"

"Depends on what you meant. I have confidence you'll arrest Chen, but..."

"I want you to have your freedom back," interrupted Noah.

"Is that all?"

"Not exactly."

Before Noah could continue, Jose opened the door. "Boss, Galvin turned around and is headed back."

Sami stood. "I'll go inside."

Shaking his head, Noah said, "Don't. Let's see what he wants."

After Galvin parked and stepped from his car, he greeted them, "Noah and Ms. Martinez, I see you're waiting for me."

Noah spoke, "Not really. We were discussing how the happenings of last night might affect Sami."

"You understand that may have been our only chance to arrest Chen."

She glanced at Noah and then addressed, Galvin, "What I understand is that those twelve minors needed to be rescued. I believe Chen will be arrested. I don't know when, but I have confidence in Noah and his team."

"I see your impetuousness hasn't changed since we last spoke." Galvin studied Noah. "I'm not sure how your temper and this young lady have been able to remain under the same roof these past weeks."

Sami sighed. "It's been trying. I think I've been called impossible, her highness, a rule breaker, frustrating, and obstinate."

Noah raised an eyebrow. "Don't forget feisty."

She nodded. "That too."

"I doubt either of you want to be around each other longer than necessary. What I came back for was to set the record straight. Ms. Martinez, I shouldn't have said anything about your eyes. You happen to have beautiful eyes. Can I leave it at that?"

"You may and thank you." She studied Noah for a moment. "Mr. Baldwin, have you also decided that Noah hasn't harmed this case, at least not on purpose."

"Yes. I see no advantage in him doing that."

Sami offered her hand. "Thank you for clearing that up." She stood. "If you don't mind, I'll go inside and start lunch." Her eyes met Galvin's. "Will you be joining us?"

"No, thank you. I need to return to the city."

As Noah opened the door for Sami, and she walked inside, Galvin said, "Those eyes. Do they ever get to you?"

She couldn't hear Noah's response.

*****
Around four o'clock Noah motioned for everyone to get inside the SUV. Sami tilted her head. "Where we going?"

Noah put his hand on the small of her back. "A surprise outing. I think you'll enjoy it."

"Is it allowed?"

His eyebrows rose. "When have you ever worried about rules?"

"Good point." Sami crawled into the backseat beside Bob while Sarah waited, and then sat beside her.

*****
Jose parked the SUV, and Sami studied the picnic area from the window. "My family! What?"

They exited the SUV and Sami started toward her family but turned toward Noah. She put her arms partway around him but paused. "I can't." She took a few steps toward her family, then turned, tightly squeezed around Noah's neck, and kissed his cheek. "Thank you. Nobody's ever done anything like this for me. Thank you." Before running toward her family, she kissed his cheek again.

Sarah rubbed Noah's cheek. "You have lipstick. Sami tried to contain her happiness."

"She did better than I expected." He glanced around the picnic area. "I set it up with her oldest sister, Angela. I know how important family is to her. I couldn't ignore Father's Day. This park is out of the way and not busy. You guys know what to do. Have fun but stay alert." His eyes met Jose's. "I know you've already calculated the security risk."

"It's fairly low. No traffic and there are no other picnic tables or people in the vicinity. We should be okay."

The team walked to the picnic tables, and Sami introduced her parents, sisters, their husbands, and her two nephews.

Angela motioned for everybody's attention. She glanced at the team and nodded. "Thank you for allowing Sami to join us. The day wouldn't be complete without her. Daddy, will you bless the food and then start the buffet line? It's your special day."

As everyone ate and visited, Angela searched through her diaper bag. "Darn!" and then stood, "I forgot to refill Austin's diapers. There's a convenience store a few miles back. I'll be right back."

She headed toward her vehicle, and Sami caught up with her. "Will you do me a favor and get a pregnancy test from the store?"

Angela's voice rose. "Sami?"

Sami took Angela's hands in hers. "Not for me! It's for Sarah. She thinks she's pregnant and doesn't want to tell her husband until she's sure. We're sort of restricted going to the store."

"Sure."

"Thank you." Sami returned to her place at the table and mouthed to Sarah. "It's taken care of."

Sarah mouthed back. "Thank you."

After the meal, Joanne, the next older sister, started a playlist she'd downloaded on her phone. "Daddy, would you start the dancing. Since Mom's accident she's not dancing, choose your partner."

John walked over to Sami and offered his hand. "Sorry girls, but I've missed Sami. I can dance with you girls every day and do at our Sunday dinners. I can't with her right now." He kissed Sami's cheek. "Will you dance with your old dad?"

Tears welled in her eyes. "Of course, but Daddy, you're not old."

After two dances, John went and sat beside his wife, Laura. Sami sat with her parents and watched her sisters and their husbands, and Bob and Sarah dance.

Jose came up to Sami. "Wanna dance?"

"Sure. Is dancing with a person in protective custody allowed?"

He chuckled. "I don't know and really don't care. I'm not a stickler for rules."

She giggled. "I won't tell Noah."

Shaking his head, Jose said, "You're impossible."

"Noah has mentioned that on occasion."

"Not surprised."

They continued dancing until John came over again. "Young man, mind if I dance with my daughter? I'm sure she'll have to leave soon, and I don't know when I'll see her again."

Jose stepped away. "Please enjoy your daughter's company. Sir, all I can say is it shouldn't be too long before you get your daughter back."

John nodded. "I pray you're right."

Father and daughter danced for three dances before they went over and visited with Sami's mom.



~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl whom Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Ryan Brown - All around jerk. He thinks highly of himself.

Marc - Sami's old boyfriend.

Mateo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - a very close friend of Sami's; a rich playboy

Juan Pablo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - Mateo's father



Recognized

#7
August
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for photograph of a family reunion.

Chapter 16 is divided into three parts. This is the second part of chapter 16. Chapter 16 B is a little over 1600 words.

Once again, I made a few changes as I posted.

I appreciate all the encouraging support you give my writing. Thank you for the time you take to review my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.