General Fiction posted August 4, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jenna starts to pick up the pieces

A chapter in the book Spirited Justice

Spirited Justice Chap 4

by Begin Again


As Jenna made her way through the museum, she stopped to offer support and answer questions to the staff and participants, knowing how traumatic the situation was to everyone.
Spotting Sophia with her guide dog, Max, she hastened to her side. "Sophia, I didn't expect to see you and Max here, especially today."

"It's okay, Jenna." She inhaled and smiled. "You're wearing that perfume I love. It reminds me of my mother baking cookies with lots of vanilla."

Jenna laughed. "It's Lamonde Creme Vanilla, my favorite. You're very smart to recognize me by my perfume."

"Guess it's one of the perks of being blind. My other senses kick in."

Jenna bent and rubbed Max's head. "Hi, boy! Are you taking good care of Sophia? It's kind of scary in here today."

"We're not afraid, Jenna. Sad that someone died, but it happens in life, right?"

"Yes, unfortunately, it does, but I was concerned you might feel overwhelmed by memories about Lila."

"She's always with me, but I know she's happy where she's at. She wouldn't want me to stop living."

"I agree. But I want you to be careful and keep Max by your side at all times. You'll promise me that, okay?"

"Not to worry. He never leaves me." Sophia patted her dog's head. "He's my eyes."

Jenna said her goodbyes and continued on her rounds while Sophia and Max headed to their secret place.

"Good morning, Sophia and Max." Trixie, a newbie wardrobe assistant, stopped pushing her rack of costumes and patted Max. She lowered her voice and whispered, "Have you heard what's going on? It's really creepy knowing a murder happened outside our doors."

Sophia nodded. "Yeah, Max and I are just trying to stay out of the way." She'd heard the wheels of the rack Trixie was pushing, so she quickly asked, "Any new costumes?"

"Sure, would you like to check them out?"

Sophia's face lit up with excitement. "I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do right this minute. Do you have the time?"

"Of course, I do, especially with all the confusion happening, nobody's looking for costumes." Trixie scanned the costumes and chose a soft velvet one. "Let me guide your hands. This one is an evening gown. It is a luxurious deep purple velvet with silver sequins across the bodice.

Sophia ran her hand across the fabric and then up toward the neckline. "It's so soft, Trixie. The girl wearing it will swoon."

Trixie picked another one. "This is much more elaborate. It has lace and beadwork. Here, feel the detail." She guided Sophia's hands over the delicate lace and beadwork. Sophia's fingers traced the patterns, feeling the texture.

"Wow, the detail is incredible. What color is this one?"

"It's a pastel pink with dark pink beads. It's designed for a fairy-tale theme." Trixie placed it back on the rack and checked for any others that Sophia would enjoy. "Oh, you have to feel this one, Sophia. It's made of satin, and it shimmers under the lights."

Sophia's fingers glided across the cool, smooth texture, and she sighed. "It must be beautiful. It feels so elegant. What color is it?"

Trixie's eyes lit up. "It's my favorite. The vibrant emerald green matches my eyes. It will be stunning under the lights."

"Thank you, Trixie. That was awesome, but I know you have work to do, and Max and I shouldn't stop you. We'll see you later."

Trixie laughed. "It's never a problem, Sophia. I love knowing you love the costumes as much as I do, even if you can't see them. But you're right, my luck, someone is looking for these, so I better go. See you later."

After walking through the museum a short way, Max abruptly stopped, putting Sophia on full alert. "What's wrong, boy?"

The dog's ears perked up, and he began sniffing. Sophia listened, hoping she could tune into whatever Max was sensing. She thought she heard a muffled cry but wasn't sure. Max tugged gently, wanting to move forward, so Sophia followed.

As they moved among the stacks of crates and boxes, Sophia could hear the crying better. "Hello! Is someone here?"

Max yelped and moved Sophia closer to a few boxes. Finding a girl, he nudges her hand.
She sniffled and mumbled, "Please, leave me alone."

Kneeling beside Max, Sophia reached out and touched the girl's arm. "It's okay. I'm Sophia and this is my guide dog, Max. We just want to help."

"No, just go away."

"If I do, someone else is just going to hear you crying like we did. I know a quiet place to go. Please, let me take you there. You're upset and maybe need a friend."

Hilda looked up, wiping away her tears. She hiccupped as she spoke, "The police, especially the detective, scared me. He asked so many questions."

"That was probably Detective Donatelli. He's having a bad day and not being very nice. Come with me, and we'll go somewhere he won't find us."

Hilda nodded and stood up. "My name is Hilda." She looked at Max and then Sophia. "You're blind! How do you get around this place? I have a difficult time."

"I've been here a lot. Max is an excellent seeing-eye dog and my best friend."

*****

"What is this place?" Hilda asked as she looked around the room.
 
"It was my aunt's dressing room years ago," Sophia explained. "But she —" Sophia hesitated, not wanting to upset Hilda with a mention of her aunt's murder. "She passed away. Over time, it became a storage area. Now it's my hideaway."
 
Soft, muted light from a single overhead bulb cast a warm glow over the room. The walls were painted in a subdued, neutral color. Above a worn-out couch, a slightly faded framed picture of Lila, Sophia's aunt, captured her radiant smile.
 
In the corner stood an antique dressing table with a few items from Lila's past — an old jewelry box, a nearly empty perfume bottle, and a stack of handwritten notes. Sophia had added a soft throw blanket to the couch for comfort. Nearby, overstuffed boxes held various dusty costumes and accessories.
 
Discarded posters, props, and pageant paraphernalia were stacked from floor to ceiling near the front of the room, leaving a narrow walkway for access to Sophia's secret place.
 
Smiling, Sophia said, "I don't mind sharing. This can be your quiet place, too, whenever you need to collect your thoughts."
 
Hilda joined Sophia on the couch. "Thank you. I didn't know where to go. I just wanted to hide."
 
Sophia's eyes softened with understanding. She could feel Hilda's distress, her own heart aching for her friend. "All of this because the detective asked you questions?"
 
"Yes—no—oh, it's just that I'm worried about my brother. My parents sent him to watch over me, but now I think he's in big trouble."
 
"Why? Did he do something wrong?"
 
"The police are questioning him."
 
"About the murder?" Sophia gasped, her eyes widening in shock.
 
"Yes, but he didn't do it. I know Klaus. He was angry with Bennett, but he wouldn't kill him. They argued, that's all."
 
"Do you mind me asking why he was angry?" Sophia's voice was gentle, but her curiosity was piqued. There was more to this story than Hilda was letting on.
 
Hilda dropped her head, unable to look at Sophia. She mumbled, "Because of me."
 
"I don't understand, Hilda. What does he have to do with you?"
 
"I'm so ashamed. I didn't want to be sent home without competing, but he said he would make sure it happened if I didn't do what he asked." Hilda mumbled, "He's a powerful man."

Confused, Sophia asked, "What did he want you to do, Hilda?"

Tears streamed down Hilda's face. "He touched me and made me do terrible things."

Sophia gasped and pulled Hilda into her arms. "Oh, Hilda, how awful. You need to tell the police." Tears streamed down her face as well.

"No! I can't." Hilda's body trembled. "I told Klaus, and now they think he killed him. If the detective finds out I lied, who knows what will happen? Klaus will go to jail for something he didn't do, and I will be sent home."

Max pushed his muzzle against Hilda's leg, giving comfort in his way, too. The three of them sat silently for a few minutes as the girls regained their composure.

An alarm on Hilda's watch brought everyone to attention. She shut it off and stood. "I'm expected to report to the committee in fifteen minutes, so I better go. Thank you, Sophia. You've been so kind."

"Remember, you can always come back, even if I'm not here. It's a quiet place to rewind."

"Thank you. I will." Hilda ruffled Max's fur. "You're such a good dog. Now take care of her."

"Don't worry. He always does."

Hilda hugged Sophia and said goodbye before she hurried out the door. Sophia heard the bell and knew she was gone.

*****
Sophia sat on the sofa with Max by her side, wondering how she could help Hilda. She certainly didn't want to be responsible for getting her sent home, nor did she want to sit idly by while her brother was sent to jail. She raised her arm above the couch, letting her fingers touch the wall until she found Lila's picture. She lifted it from its hook and clasped it to her chest.

"Lila, I miss you so much. I can't believe this is happening again. Another murder and maybe a family member being unjustly accused. I don't know what to do."

A gentle, almost imperceptible chill filled the air. Max's low growl warned her that someone was there, but she hadn't heard the door, which was odd, especially since she'd put a tiny bell above it, a warning when it opened.

"Who's there?" Sophia listened for a sign but didn't hear anything.

Max left Sophia's side and moved forward, sniffing the air. Eleanor's hand ruffled his hair, calming him. "Good boy, Max. I just want to talk to Sophia, okay?"

Wagging his tail, he returned to the girl's side.

"Hello, Sophia. My name is Eleanor. Please don't be afraid," she said in a voice that seemed to wrap around Sophia like a warm blanket.

Sophia tilted her head slightly, her expression cautious but curious. "How did you find me? I didn't hear the door open."

Eleanor's soft voice soothed Sophia's nerves. "I have my ways," she said mysteriously. She moved closer to Sophia. "Do you believe in ghosts?"

"Ghosts? You mean like the ones at Halloween?"

"Not exactly. Those kinds can be quite scary, but there are some who are simply here to help. That's the kind I am."

"You're — a ghost?"

"I'm here to help, and it seems your friend needs help urgently."

"Hilda? Were you listening to us?" Sophia didn't know how to respond to such blatant eavesdropping.

"I was, but in a grandmotherly way. I wanted to help. I think we can do something to ease her fears."

"We, meaning you and me. But how?"

"It will require some trust on your part. Do you think you can do that?" Eleanor gave Sophia time to think about what she'd said.

"Well, Max let you in, and he's a pretty good judge of character, so I guess I can trust you too. But what can a ghost do?"

"Detective Donatelli —"

"I don't want anything to do with that man. He's not nice."

"Actually, he has a heart of gold, but he's struggling right now with a few problems of his own. He doesn't mean to be so abrupt and mean."

"I don't know about that. I've seen him in action, and it comes fairly easy to him."

"You do want to help Hilda, right?"

"Yes, of course I do."

"Then, I ask you to trust me. I will arrange a meeting with the detective. If you want, I'll be there."

"I want! Don't leave me in a room alone with that man, because I can't promise what Max might do."

Eleanor reached out and whispered in Max's ear. His paw patted the air and then moved closer to Sophia, nuzzling her leg. "I think Max is giving his okay."

Sophia laughed. "I think you are right. I'll meet with him, but only if you are there."

"We can do that. Let me talk to him, and then I'll let you know when he can arrange the time. I promise he will be on his best behavior."

"Is that possible?"

"It is. He just needs some encouragement and I'm the person to do that. Now I better go. You get some rest, and I'd stay clear of the pageant area for the rest of the day."

"Don't worry. I've had enough excitement. Max and I will stay right here."

The chill left the room, and Sophia sensed she was gone. She found Lila's picture and spoke to it, "Lila, was Eleanor a sign? Did you send me a ghost?"

She pulled the throw across her legs and rested her head against the arm of the couch, drifting into a restful sleep.




Thanks to everyone who reached out to me regarding the missing three chapters. Thankfully this one was sitting in my portfolio and waiting for me to post. At this time, the others are somewhere in computer heaven... lost to me. The trials of getting old... or maybe it's just that mistakes happen.


Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner

Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective

Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor

Matthew Donatelli -- Detective

Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant
Emily - Jenna's faithful assistant

Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer / ex-lover of Donatelli -
Arthur Bennett - deceased lawyer, friend and enemy of Naomi
Lila - a pageant contestant who was murdered for her research
Sophia - :Lila's sister (blind)
Max - Sophia's best friend and guide dog
Hilda - a pageant contestant and medical researcher
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.