General Fiction posted August 2, 2024 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jenna Wears Two Hats

A chapter in the book Spirited Justice

Spirited Justice Chap 3

by Begin Again


At two a.m., Jenna entered her home, dropped her keys on the table, shut off her phone, and collapsed across her bed, shutting out the world. The dark, ominous clouds outside her window matched her weary body. She needed sleep.
 
Now, less than three hours later, something in her journalistic mind had wakened her.
 
Jenna moaned and rolled over in bed, her blurry eyes straining to see the clock. Another agonizing groan escaped her mouth. It was five fifteen. "Oh, Jenna, go back to sleep."

A late-night dinner with pageant investors had turned into a long night of questions and few answers. While attending a golf outing, Pam Hinsley, the wife of a local software mogul, heard rumors about several murders and scandals connected to the pageant over the past five years. Once she shared her concerns, the table conversation became a frenzied output of suggestions that stretched from canceling the pageant to modifying it and a few doubting Thomases refusing to put any stock in any of it.

 
Jenna fumbled for her phone on the nightstand, finally grasping it and squinting at the screen. She dialed her assistant's number, expecting to leave a message.

On the first ring, a young, trembling voice answered. "Museum of Fine Arts. This is Emily speaking."

"Emily, it's Jenna. What in the world are you doing there so early? I had planned on leaving you a message."

"Jenna! Oh my God, Jenna!" Emily's voice was high-pitched and frantic. "I've been calling you for hours. Something terrible has happened."

Jenna yawned. "Calm down, Emily. I'm sure it's not that horrible."

"It is! Arthur Bennett is dead. Police say it was murder. Right here outside our back door."

Jenna's heart stopped. "What? Arthur murdered! It can't be!" She swung her legs over the side of the bed so she was in an upright position. Her mind was racing with thoughts ranging from who, how, and why to how it would affect the pageant.

"There are police everywhere. Anyone who was here last night has been called in. Everyone is freaked out. It's horrible, Jenna. You've got to come in right away." Emily's words tumbled out in a panicked rush.

"Do you know who is in charge of the investigation?"

"Yes, it's Detective Donatelli, and he's asked me three times why you aren't here." Emily sniffled. "He's not in the best of moods."

"He never is lately. Don't let him get to you, Emily." A wave of dread replaced her fatigue. "I'll be there in thirty minutes." She ended the call and buried her head in her hands. Her worst nightmare had just come true.

Undressing, she stepped into the shower and screamed, "What the heck?" Her old water heater had chosen that very moment to stop working, and the water was ice cold. She lathered up at the sink and then bit the bullet by rinsing off with cold water. By the time she'd finished, all thoughts of sleep were gone, and her head was clear.

With chattering teeth, she dressed while her mind raced back to dinner last night. Pan Hinsley's words echoed in her mind. Had someone at that table known more than they were letting on? Was Arthur's murder a random killing, or was it somehow part of a darker picture?

Grabbing her briefcase, Jenna knew she would wear two hats today. As a journalist, she needed to write the whole truth behind the murder, and as a pageant coordinator, she had to keep the event afloat amidst the chaos. As the door slammed behind her, she shoved the thought of Matthew Donatelli out of her mind, focusing on how everyone else must be feeling.

*****

As Jenna rushed up the steps to the front of the art museum, the glaring signs of a crime scene disrupted the usually stately atmosphere. The museum's grand facade, with its classical columns and intricate carvings, appeared to shrink into the background as law enforcement took center stage. Several police cars parked haphazardly outside in the early morning light, their flashing lights casting a red and blue glow across the marble steps.

Inside, the sounds of official activity filled the ordinarily quiet and reverent galleries. Yellow crime scene tape stretched across doorways, and forensic teams moved carefully among the art pieces, documenting evidence and taking photographs.

Emily, visibly shaken by the ongoing events, waited by the entrance with a look of concern. She hurried over to Jenna as she entered, holding two large cups of coffee.

"Oh, Jenna, I'm so glad you are here." She took Jenna's briefcase and handed her the steaming cups.

Jenna smiled at her assistant. "You are a blessing, Emily. Thanks for thinking of the peace offerings."

"I remembered it was his favorite, so I hurried outside to the vendor and got two cups. Anything to appease the lion!"

Jenna suppressed a chuckle at Emily's description of the detective. "His growl is much worse than his bite."

"You could have fooled me. He's in your office," Emily muttered.

"Thanks for thinking of coffee, Emily. I know I sure need it, too." Jenna thought momentarily and added, "Because I won't be waving any white flag."

Emily winced as she watched her boss hurry toward the elevator. She felt like she'd just sent Daniel into the lion's den, and the outcome might not be good.

Jenna made her way through the busy museum, past the flurry of activity, preparing to face Donatelli. The elevator ride gave her a few moments to prepare for Matthew's unpleasantness, something she didn't understand. When she'd first met him, he'd seemed more vivid, almost with a little devil-may-care attitude, but recently, he had become sullen and difficult.

When the elevator reached the third floor, she stepped off and hurried down the hall to her corner office, a place she usually considered her safe zone, but not this morning.

As she opened her office door, she immediately felt a subtle chill. Though the room was warm, the cool sensation was unmistakable.

Donatelli sat behind Jenna's desk, rummaging through some papers she had left there. He didn't look up nor pretend that he wasn't snooping. Instead, he greeted her with a snarl, "Nice of you to join us, Ms. Mason."

Jenna refused to take the bait. "If I'd known there was going to be a murder or that you would rifle through my desk, I'd have made better plans."

"I'm not —"

"Yes, you were, Matthew." Jenna handed him the coffee and put hers on the desk. "Here, drink this. Maybe it will help your spirits."

"I don't take bribes. And there's nothing wrong with my spirits."

"It's not a bribe." Jenna glanced around the room. "So, you've brought company with you."

Donatelli's eyes finally met hers. "Just a few dozen law enforcement officers. It is a crime scene."

Jenna chuckled. "I was referring to your nemesis."

"My nemesis? I don't know what you are talking about, Jenna."

"Okay, play it cool if you must, but I know Danni is here."

A soft giggle came from the corner by the window, followed by Danni's voice: "I told you she'd know I was here."

Donatelli turned his head toward the window and an invisible Danni, who perched atop Jenna's credenza. He spoke in a low but threatening voice, reminding her of the golden rule when they were in public. "Not seen or heard."

"You're being such a snot-nose today, Matthew." Danni remained invisible but continued to talk, "Forgive him, Jenna. We were at Bennett's reveal this morning when his lady friend dropped in. It wasn't a pretty sight."

"His lady friend. I must have missed out on that one." Jenna raised an eyebrow. "Matthew, are you dating again?"

"Not that it's any of your business or hers, but no, I am not. Now, can we discuss the murder instead of my life?"

"Of course, but I doubt I can shed any light on the case." Jenna drank the steamy brew.

"Your calendar indicated you had a meeting with Bennett last night."

"Hmmm. You weren't snooping, but you know what's on my calendar. If you'd read further in the addendum notes at the bottom of the page, you'd have discovered it changed to a dinner meeting with several investors, including Bennett, which is exactly where I was until two this morning." Jenna sipped her coffee before continuing, "Bennett was not there."

"What can you tell me about him?"

He's a significant investor in the pageant world. I'm not privy to why he didn't attend or why he was at the art museum. I don't recall any meetings he needed to attend."

"Any possibility that he was thinking of backing out of his investment?"

"No, on the contrary, he seemed eager to be more involved. I've seen him talking with staff and the participants every day. From what my assistant tells me, he's even been mentoring a few of them; after all, he has been involved with the pageant since its beginning." Jenna glanced toward the window and smiled, not saying a word, but knowing Danni knew she was happy to know she was here. She turned to the detective and sighed. "You going to drink that coffee or just let it get cold?"

The detective pushed the chair away from the desk, pulled his lanky frame upright, and snarled, "I've got work to do." However, he took his coffee with him as he left the office.

Jenna called after him, "Try to have a good day, Matthew," and closed the door behind him.

She faced the window. "I didn't know you were working here again."

"Neither did I until this morning. I was ripped off the stage in a small theater in England and transplanted into the Metropolitan Police Department's morgue. How's that for transatlantic flights?" Danni giggled. "Especially when he'd been having a late night with the bottle again."

"I haven't seen much of Matthew since Eleanor left. What's going on with him?"

"I don't know the entire scoop, but it's something to do with his lawyer friend, Naomi Henderson. You should have seen the sparks fly when she arrived at the morgue."

"Naomi Henderson. I vaguely remember writing a story about her. She represented a guy in court and got him off on a technicality or something."

"She sure did. It was Arthur Bennett, and Matthew says he had the guy, but she accused him of an illegal search."

"Wow! Accusing Matthew of screwing up and then getting the case kicked out." Jenna grinned. "Doesn't sound like a plan to make friends with our detective."

"It gets worse. He was enjoying some physical exercise with the lady at the time if you know what I mean."

"Matthew was sleeping with Naomi? Oh, brother! No wonder he's a grouch."

"Well, I have to work with him. Speaking of that, I suppose I should see what he's up to now. Maybe I'll see you later." Danni laughed. "Before you see me!"

Jenna grinned. "I got your joke, Danni. Now go and stay out of trouble."

The coolness left the room; then, suddenly, it was there again.

"Danni, did you come back? Is something wrong?" Jenna could sense a presence before she heard the voice.

"No, Jenna, darling, it's not Danni."

"Mother! What on earth are you doing back in Bayside? Not that I'm not thrilled to hear from you, but I thought you and Dad were enjoying time together."

"We are, but I got word that things were going to get rocky around here, and I asked to come. You know, I love you, but I also worry about Danni. She doesn't always take her job seriously, and Matthew needs to count on her now."

"I know you can't predict the future, but should I be worried about the pageant?"

Eleanor hesitated as she considered her answer. "I can say you need to be careful because the pageant isn't what it appears to be. Sinister people are lurking in the background."

"And you can't give me a clue. A man is dead!" Jenna pleaded.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I can only help and try to lead you away from the danger. Matthew will be Danni's problem."

Jenna sighed. "Looks like he's going to need a lot of coffee."

She sank into her chair, contemplating Eleanor's warnings, as the coolness left the room, but not before a gentle breeze touched Jenna's cheek, and she heard a soft "goodbye."



Recognized


Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner

Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective

Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor

Matthew Donatelli -- Detective

Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant
Emily - Jenna's faithful assistant

Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer / ex-lover of Donatelli -
Arthur Bennett - deceased lawyer, friend and enemy of Naomi
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.