General Fiction posted July 31, 2024 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Somethings never stay hidden

A chapter in the book Spirited Justice

When Trouble Knocks Chap 2

by Begin Again




Background
"Beauty, Brawn, or Brains" was a global platform showcasing women's diverse talents, yet murders, accidents, and deceit haunted the pageant worldwide. Was there a common link or merely coincidence?
Matthew tried to slip away while Danni exchanged a few words with Rosa so her silent approach caught him off-guard.

"Aren't we in a hurry? Are we trying to catch up with Ms. Henderson?" Danni's form materialized at Matthew's side as he stepped into the elevator.

"I thought you were chatting with the good doctor. How'd you catch me so fast?" Matthew pushed the button as Danni leaned against the back wall.

"The perks of being me! You know, now you see me, now you don't." Danni chuckled. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to leave me behind."

"I wasn't. I have work to do. We have a murder victim in the morgue."

"So, it wasn't Ms. Henderson you were worried about?"

"Why would I worry about her? I don't know how she found out about Bennett being in the morgue. It's not like he was found in her apartment or anything."

Danni mulled over this for a moment. "Where was he murdered?"

"Outside the rear door of Bayside's Metropolitan Museum of Art."

"In an alley? Isn't it odd for someone like him to use the back entrance? Are there any cameras?"

"The one outside the door wasn't working, but the team is checking for other cameras in the area."

Danni nodded thoughtfully. "So, what's the story with you and Naomi?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but we had a brief relationship."

"You mean an affair? It must have been brief. It hasn't been that long since my last visit."

"Not brief enough." Matthew sighed.

"Touchy!" Danni smirked. "Fine, then what about our deceased and your ex?"

"She represented him in a case a few months ago and won. His wife filed for a divorce and is leaving him with hefty alimony payments."

"Were you involved in the case?"

Matthew sighed, wiping his forehead. "Yes. I was convinced he was guilty, but she found a technicality to get him off."

"What was the technicality?" Danni pressed, sensing this was important to the case.

"Some crucial evidence was thrown out," Matthew replied curtly.

"Evidence you gathered?" Danni's gaze sharpened. "What was wrong with it?"

"I found it in Naomi's house."

"You went into her house without permission and found this evidence?" Danni frowned. "So, you broke into her place?"

"No! It wasn't like that." Matthew's frustration was palpable.

"Okay, instead of me pulling teeth, just tell me what it was like."

Matthew took a deep breath. "We went out for dinner at Manzutto's. She invited me back to her place for a nightcap, and... one thing led to another. I spent the night. In the morning, I was looking for a razor in the bathroom dresser and found Bennett's bank statements. Hefty sums were deposited in his account twice a month, and he was transferring it to an offshore account."

"Hiding it from his wife?"

"I wasn't sure. A red flag went up because, as far as I could tell, it wasn't money from the law firm."

"Hmm. Now you've got my attention. So why was it deemed inadmissible?"

"Because Naomi said it was an illegal search. She denied she had invited me to stay overnight and claimed I got her drunk so I could search her place for evidence on her client."

"And did you?"

"And did I what? Get her drunk? She did that all on her own while putting on a strip show for me. Nothing was planned. It just happened."

The elevator stopped on the second floor. Matthew exited, alone to any onlookers, but Danni swooped ahead, claiming his office chair and sifting through a stack of papers on his desk.

As Matthew closed the door behind him, she spoke. "It took you long enough. You're moving slower these days, are you?"

Matthew spun around, eyes scanning the room. Danni was nowhere to be seen.

She chuckled. "I'm over here in your office chair, which, by the way, needs to be replaced. It feels like I'm sitting on a board with no padding."

"It suits me. I tend not to hang around the office that way," he snarled. "I'm doing just fine, so why did they send you here?"

"I don't have all the details, only that Beckett's murder is just the tip of the iceberg."

"Such as?"

"Now, Donatelli, you and I know it's our job to investigate and uncover the truth. So, shove your attitude in a drawer somewhere, and let's get to work."

"Get out of my chair!" Donatelli rounded the desk and asked, "Is it safe?"

"Yes, Master! You can have your stupid chair."

Matthew sat, sighed, and opened a desk drawer, pretending to shove his temper into it, and closed it, turning the key. "Satisfied?"

Meanwhile, Danni had closed the blinds on the interior windows, blocking out the other offices and allowing her to materialize again. "Perfect!" She smiled, pushed aside a stack of papers, and perched on the corner of the desk.

"That's what chairs are made for," he snapped, quickly adding with an exaggerated smile, "But if you're comfortable."

Danni smiled. "Just checking if the attitude was in the drawer."

Matthew chuckled despite himself. "So, what's our next move?"

Danni leaned in, her expression serious. "We need to follow the money trail. Those bank statements you found might lead us to the killer."

"Agreed. And we need to keep a close eye on Naomi. If she was involved with Beckett, she might know more than she's letting on."

Danni nodded. "I'll start looking into his financials and see if I can trace any suspicious transactions. You keep digging into Naomi's connections. There has to be something we're missing."

Matthew sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Why don't you take Naomi?"

"Because you know her and can get closer than I can. Just don't make it too close."

"I assure you that's not going to happen." He ran his hands through his hair. "This case just keeps getting more complicated."

"That's why they sent me," Danni said with a wink. "To help you untangle this mess."

Matthew couldn't help but smile. "Yeah, you run with that. I think they don't know what to do with you, so they keep dumping you in my lap."

Danni frowned. "Funny!"
*****

"It's not my day," Naomi muttered as she pushed through the Metropolitan Police Department's double doors. "First, Donatelli and Bennett, and now it's raining."

She hadn't expected Donatelli to be at the morgue so early, considering she knew how he spent his nights lately. Finding him there had rattled her, something that rarely happened to her.

As she hurried down the steps, the hair on her neck bristled. Suddenly, she had the eerie sensation that someone was watching her. Her eyes darted around the square but saw no one.

Her mind raced as she hailed a cab. Slamming the door as she climbed in, her eyes met the cabbie's stare in the rearview mirror. "Where to?"

"Lancaster and Rural," she replied, giving her office address. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, still feeling eyes on her. "Actually, no. Take me to Number 12, Eagle Plaza instead."

The cabbie nodded and changed direction. As they drove through the city's bustling streets, Naomi's eyes darted to every shadow and alleyway. She scrutinized every passenger in cabs that stopped near hers. She couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

Twenty minutes later, the cab pulled up to her apartment building. The towering structure was sleek and modern, with reflective glass and a minimalist design. She hurried through the marble-floored lobby, barely nodding to the doorman as she rushed to the elevator. The ride to the tenth floor seemed to take forever, the soft music doing nothing to calm her nerves.

When the door glided open to her floor, she almost ran down the hallway to her door, fumbling with her keys in her haste. Once inside, she locked the door behind her, double-checking the deadbolt. Leaning against the door, she took a deep breath, trying to steady her racing heart.

Her apartment reflected her status as a high-powered attorney. It was spacious, with floor-to-ceiling windows offering a panoramic view of the city skyline. Tastefully decorated with modern art pieces and sleek, contemporary furniture, the open-plan living area enhanced the apartment's aesthetic appeal. A grand piano stood in one corner, untouched for months, while shelves lined with legal books and awards showcased her achievements.

Tossing her suit jacket aside, she moved to the bookshelf lined with law journals and art books. She scanned the journals until she found the one she wanted. She tipped it forward, and the shelf clicked open, revealing a secret door to a small office with high-end computers and surveillance equipment.

As she gathered some papers, a voice from the doorway startled her. "Long time no see, Naomi."

Naomi whirled around, her heart pounding. A man she recognized all too well stood there, his presence sending a chill down her spine. "How did you get in here?" she demanded, her voice shaking.

The man smiled coldly, stepping closer. "Naomi, I'm offended. You were so much friendlier the last time we met."

"What do you want?" She stepped away, keeping some distance between them.

"We need to talk about Bennett and the mess you've gotten yourself into."

"What mess? I had nothing to do with Arthur's death.

"Maybe, maybe not, but I think you know more about it than you're willing to share. Is that why you were at the police department earlier? Did you clear your conscience with your friend?"

"Leave Donatelli out of this. I wouldn't tell him anything, and you should know that." Naomi sneered at him. "For that matter, why would I tell you anything if I knew what Bennett was involved in?"

"Don't play dumb, Naomi. We both know you're smarter than that," he replied, stepping closer. "I have my reasons for being interested in Bennett's dealings. And I know you were involved in something — unsavory."

She glared at him, fear mingling with anger. "What are you talking about?"

Her visitor pulled a small, leather-bound notebook from his pocket, flipping it open to reveal handwritten notes and a photograph. "I came across this while digging into Bennett's background. This notebook has details about a weekend in Mexico years ago. I know you were there. And I know things went terribly wrong."

Naomi's breath caught. She had tried to leave that part of her life behind, but it seemed it was catching up. "What do you want from me?" she asked again, more quietly this time.

"I want to know everything you know about Bennett's activities," he said, his tone serious.

Naomi laughed. "You're the one with the connections. You should know more than me."

Her visitor grinned. "I wasn't sleeping with him. Men tend to talk when they're in bed."

"He wasn't in my bed!" Naomi snapped. "I was simply helping a co-worker, nothing else."

The man reached into his shirt pocket and tossed a 4x6 photograph on the table. "That's not what this says."

Naomi gasped, and her face turned red with anger. "I swear I didn't sleep with Arthur."

"Then explain the picture. It sure looks like you and Bennett are having a good ole time."

"It's a fake!" Naomi grabbed the photo and stared at it. It was a picture of her in bed with Bennett. "Where did you get it? I don't know how someone made this, but it didn't happen."

"You'll have a hard time convincing anyone otherwise." His menacing tone sent chills down her spine.

Naomi ripped the picture into pieces. "It's a lie, and you know it. You're just trying to back me into a corner."

"Not me, but somebody is. And I'm sure that wasn't the only copy either."

"I want to know who gave it to you?" To prove her defiance, Naomi turned her back on her visitor. "If you want anything from me, you will have to give me something in return. Who's behind this?"

His fingers caressed her neck. "I've got a lot to give —" She jerked away.

A woman's voice rang out from the kitchen. "Miss Naomi. It's Claudia. Are you home?"

It was Tuesday, and Claudia was scheduled to clean the apartment. Naomi was usually gone, but today was different.

Her eyes flared, and she inhaled sharply. "She can't see you here."

"Go talk to her. I'll leave by the front door. Just keep her occupied." He didn't wait for her answer, but he stopped when he reached the bedroom door. "Don't think this is over. I'll be back."

Naomi slumped against the desk, catching her breath, telling herself now was not the time to weaken. Claudia's call reminded her she was supposed to be headed to the kitchen.


 



Recognized



Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner

Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective

Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor

Matthew Donatelli -- Detective

Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant

Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer / ex-lover of Donatelli -
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.