General Non-Fiction posted July 25, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One of Jesus' many miracles

Desert Place

by Claire Tennant


This year, more than in recent years, our news is taken up with political arrogance. The tin gods may be clever, good business people, generous and kind-hearted, or total dimwits. However, they, like ourselves, are still humans created for a purpose: God's purpose. God is still in control, as the Bible teaches.
All of us have favourite biblical passages that comfort, console and teach. This is my opportunity to share with you one of my favourite Bible stories and why.

As an excited eleven-year-old, I was invited to read the Bible at the Sunday School Christmas 'do'. Oddly enough Daddy was excited too, and offered to coach nightly for at least a fortnight, so that when the day came, the reading would be perfect. It was, but sadly, the alternative reader, a little boy, more nervous than I, may not remember the event. The reading chosen for me from the Old King James version was that of the Feeding of the Five Thousand. Matthew:14 vs 15-21.

The event happened on the day that Jesus was told by the disciples of John the Baptist's beheading at the request of Herod, who was honouring his promise to his niece Herodias that whatever she wanted, she would get if she pleased her uncle with dancing.
Jesus, as a man, was shocked and, like most of us, took time 'out' in a quiet place, in this case, the desert, to ponder and grieve his cousin's passing. After all, Jesus came to earth as a baby and grew to manhood; his human reaction, like ours, can only be understood. Yet He was not just any man. For there were people who saw him journey by boat to the desert and followed him. They needed His ministry, irrespective of his grief, for He was, after all, the Son of God.

Sensing that the crowd needed help, He set aside his personal issues, got back into the boat, preached and healed. For most of us, the same voice droning on for hours is tedious, but Jesus kept the crowd's interest, and all mundane things like hunger pangs were forgotten. They were so wrapped up in His message and His healing touch.
Eventually, the disciples found him. Aware of the time, they said:
vs 15
"This is a dessert place and the time has now passed. Send the multitude away, that they may go into the villages and buy themselves victuals." (pronounced vitals), in today's terms 'food'.
The ever-practical Jesus said:
"They need not depart. Give ye them to eat."
"But we have here five loaves and two fishes."
(In other words:
"Duh! How is that going to feed a crowd?)
He said, "Bring them hither to me."
And He commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, He blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
20 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full.
21 And they that had eaten were about five thousand men, beside women and children.

Let's put things into perspective. Our imagination, based on today's loaves, depicts that the bread loaf size was enormous and the fish was a reasonable weight. Yet if all that the disciples could find was from the crowd it would be a small amount offered. These were poor people. In reality, even a long breadstick would not be big enough for a crowd and probably too much for one person to scoff. It would be far more likely that the size equates to small bread rolls that you take along with your soup or main course; it is just as likely that the fish would be small. I imagine sardines, but I am no fisherwoman. It certainly was not snapper, or some other enormous delicacy, otherwise the miracle would not touch our hearts.


Further, it would be so easy for Jesus to feed the five thousand men only. As per Jewish custom, men and boys of thirteen and older were important. The bar mitzvah, to this day, signifies manhood. The bat mitzvah (females aged 12) signifies womanhood, but at that time, a young girl or a woman was only something of worth as a wife and mother. The important thing in this story is that Jesus fed five thousand men besides woman and children, therefore there is not an actual figure for the crowd number.

Jesus was the first Equal Opportunity provider in modern terms. Those twelve baskets were filled. Jesus was teaching abundance and acceptance, and if the crowd were not already aware of the Nazarene, you would think this act alone would teach them.

Compare this with the actions towards the end of His human form ministry.
When Jesus knew that His 'God' project was near, He tried to prepare his disciples. The last Supper signified their last moments of joy spoiled by the arrest and subsequent trial.
Soon after, Rome tried to have its way with our Saviour. The fickle crowd, many of whom would have seen other forms of abundance, in healing or socially, rejected Jesus.
"Crucify Him! Crucify Him! We have no King but Ceasar."
Talk about short memories and two-faced reactions!

Pontious Pilate offered, as was the custom at a crucifixion, to release a prisoner. He thought about Jesus, perhaps believing him to be innocent. The crowd wanted Barrabas, a known criminal, saved. Pilate had no option but to grant their request.
Jesus took the undertaking of crucifixion to save us all from our sins, irrespective of our delight in repeating them. This, too, is abundance.

To take the weight of sin on His back, the torture of whipping, the shedding of blood, the internal organ damage and worst of all, the feeling that God had abandoned him would have been too much for any man. Yet He did it because He was God's son. He saved the world from sin. Like the loaves and fish, where there was an abundance of food, this action of dying for our sins includes still being loved irrespective of behaviour. Also, our reluctance to follow Him, of our continual habits of repeating sins, is accepted but not necessarily approved of!

If this is difficult to believe, remember Jesus hung between two known criminals, both thieves. One who, like the crowd, echoed the request to save Himself if He were God. The other knew he deserved the punishment and reminded his cohort.
Imagine the joy of hearing Jesus respond to the request of
"Remember me where you are going" with
"Today, you will be with me in Paradise."

Friends, this continual abundance goes beyond the Resurrection and
our own personal faith. Jesus died for our sins and forgives us again and again if we accept who He is. He loves us, knowing our continual mistakes, our faith "slips", our distress and the 'anger' moments.
Interceding at the cross, Jesus said:
"Father, forgive them. They know not what they do."
The abundance of forgiveness included those who caused his death is seen here.

Of course, the joyous resurrection three days later speaks volumes
We serve a Risen Saviour who, in abundance, forgives and loves you always. God Bless you.













 



Bible writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Take a passage from the Bible that you find especially interesting or meaningful. Then write why you chose it.
1. Exposition: Perhaps you've studied it in depth which gave greater understanding to its meaning. Share what you learned.
OR
2 . Application: It helped you with something personally when you applied it to your life/situation.


Reference Material King James Version Matthew 14 vs 15-21, which
will be included.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.