Children Fiction posted July 21, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Mango & Bert Story

Mango Learns of Homophones

by jmdg1954



 
 

 
 
 

Mrs. Snodwimple is a three and one-half foot tall, wide-eyed owl wearing spectacles and a shawl. She held a wooden pointer in her wing as she taught class.

Mango, a five year-old beagle sat in the front row attentive to her teacher. Sitting on either side of her were Symphony Skunk and Billy the Beaver.

“Okay, class, listen closely, “Mrs. Snodwimple said as she began her lesson. “I need you to use your special focus powers. This can be confusing.”

“I left those powers in my dam,” whispered Billy the Beaver.

“Shh, Billy. This is important,” Mango told him.

Mango is one of the younger students in the class, but one of the brightest. 

“Today’s lesson is on, homophones.” Mrs. Snodwimple just stood there looking at her students puzzled looks. 

“Does anyone know what a homophone is?”

“No, but I know what a cell phone is,” Billy the Beaver whispered again.

“Billy! Put a sock in it.” This time it was Symphony Skunk trying to shush Billy.

Billy the Beaver slouched in his chair, folded his clawed front feet, put on his pouty face and began tapping his flat tail against his chair.

“Billy, why don’t you come up here and help me?” said Mrs. Snodwimple, smiling at him. 

Once Billy stood next to his teacher, she continued. “A homophone is two words with different meanings that sound alike.”

She walked over to her desk and picked up two objects. Holding one, she asked Billy what it was.

Billy the Beaver answered her question. “That’s easy Mrs. S, it’s a flower.”

“And what’s in this bag, Billy?” she asked. “It’s used for baking.” 

“Hmm, looks like flour,” Billy said smiling. 

“Wait!” Mrs. Snodwimple exclaimed. “ I thought you said this was flower?" Holding up the first object. “So how could this be flour?” Holding the second object.

“Mrs. S, Mrs. S,” Symphony Skunk was trying to get attention.

“Yes, Symphony. “What is it? Or is it, watt is it?” Mrs . Snodwimple said with a giggle.

“I have one,” Mrs. S., or do I say, I have won?” Symphony Skunk asked.

Wait a second, weight second,” Billy the Beaver chimed in.

“Okay class, I can sea the excitement building… get it? Sea and see. How about four your weekend homework, ewe can pear up or pair up with a friend and make a list of all the homophones you can think of.”

Yea,” they all cheered in unison.

Mrs. Snodwimple could hear them whispering who will pair up and also mumbling homophones under their breaths… meet/meat, steel/steal, buy/bye/by…

After class, Mango walked home with her best friend in the hole world, Bert, an eleven year old Saint Bernard. 

After Mango told Bert of her weekend homework assignment, Bert pawed her little head and told her how proud he was at her excitement before saying, “remember Mango, just the fax, just the facts!”

“Ah thanks, Bert.”




Teach Me Something (2) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In this round of Teach Me Something, the theme is writing.

Ex: How To--
Craft great comedy, horror, true crime, suspense thriller, etc., or some aspect of it.
Write effective dialogue, character/plot development, world building, etc., or some aspect of it.
Write specific forms of poetry or poetic devices (eg. alliteration, assonance, consonance)
Use literary devices (eg. irony, foreshadowing)
Grammar/mechanics (eg. Use of commas, hyphens, italics, word choice, spelling tips for tricky words)

Assignment:
**Choose a topic you know or have experience with
**Write a tutorial or tips for others to learn about or improve some facet of their writing
**Your title or subtitle should say what that topic is
**Recommended word count: 100-1000 words
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.