General Fiction posted July 19, 2024 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Margaret and the ransom

A chapter in the book Unfinished Brushstrokes

Unfinished Brushstrokes Chap 15

by Begin Again




Background
Sorry, I've been missing in action for a few days. Life happens! I am back and will try to catch up on the story. Thanks for reading and following the story.


Margaret was on the brink of desperation. Her attempts to reach John, whom she believed would help, had failed, revealing his indifference. She paced her living room, her mind in a whirlwind of chaos. Her breaths were quick, sharp, and desperate.

She muttered to herself, "A million dollars." She screamed at the telephone, her voice cracking with desperation. "Where am I supposed to get that kind of money?"

As she collapsed into a chair, her gaze fixed upon a framed photo of Eleanor and herself. "You could have given me the money instead of all your stipulations," she screamed, her voice echoing in the empty house. "If Megan dies. I'll never forgive you." She tossed a pillow, knocking the picture off the mantel and shattering the glass as it hit the floor.

Sobbing uncontrollably, she cried, "Oh God, Megan. I can't lose you. I can't!"

Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, Margaret remembered the diamond necklace. "Oh, Momma, please don't hate me. I know it's worth so much more in many ways, but this is for my child, your granddaughter. Please understand," she pleaded, her voice trembling with emotion.

She raced into her bedroom and removed a picture from the wall. Behind it was a safe. At first, her confusion made her forget the combination, and she fought with the dial, spinning it repeatedly, her panic rising. Then she remembered the combination was in the jewelry box. She hurried to her dresser, pulling tiny drawer after tiny drawer, until she found the yellow slip of paper with the numbers nineteen — twenty-four — twelve written on it.

She entered the combination and pulled the safe door open. The blue velvet box was gone. She pulled documents and miscellaneous items from the safe, but the necklace wasn't there. She immediately hurried to her dresser, pulling each drawer out and frantically rummaging through it, one after another. Nothing was there.

At that moment, the doorbell rang. Margaret scrambled to her feet and stumbled to the door, crying, "Oh, John, you're here."

She flung it open, expecting to fall into her lover's arms. Instead, Jonathan was standing there.

She wiped the tears from her eyes and mumbled, "I - I thought —"

Jonathan stepped into the foyer, wrapping his sister in his arms. "Margaret, what's wrong?"

The floodgates opened, and she sobbed hysterically. "It's Megan."

"What's the girl done now?" He squeezed Margaret. "Come on. Stop with the tears. It can't be that bad."

"They took her," she wailed. "They kidnapped my baby."

"Kidnapped? Margaret, calm down and tell me what's going on. Have you called the police?" He pulled his phone from his pocket.

Margaret knocked it out of his hand. "No, we can't call the police. They will kill her."

"Has someone made a ransom demand?" Jonathan was trying to make sense of the situation and calm his sister at the same time.

"They want a million dollars. I was going to sell Mother's necklace —"

"You can't do that."

"I can. It's mine. And to save my daughter, I would have, but it's gone."

Jonathan bit his lower lip and took a deep breath. "Margaret, you need to calm yourself and listen to me. I have the necklace."

Margaret stared at him, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. "What? How? Why would you have the necklace?"

Jonathan reached into his pocket and pulled out the blue box, opening it to reveal the diamond necklace. He held the box out to her. "Trevor was going to pawn it. I got it back before he could."

Margaret snatched the necklace from his hands, her relief quickly turning into anger and disbelief. "You're lying! Why would Trevor steal it?"

Before Jonathan could answer, a shimmering light filled the room as Eleanor appeared. Margaret gasped. "What's happening?" She collapsed into the chair, trembling violently.

Eleanor bent, picked up the shattered picture frame, and smiled. "Do you remember this day, Margaret? It was your wedding day, and we were so happy, so close."

Margaret nodded, unable to speak.

Jonathan leaned down and took his sister's hand. "It's okay, Sis. She's already visited me, too." His words were a comforting balm, soothing Margaret's frayed nerves.

"Eleanor, is it you?" Margaret whispered, her voice trembling. "But it can't be."

"It's me, and I'm here to help you."

"I don't understand." Margaret's eyes shifted to Jonathan and then back to the vision in front of her. She rubbed her eyes and opened them again, but Eleanor was still there.

"Jonathan is telling the truth. Trevor tried to pawn the necklace, but Jonathan stopped him."

"You stopped him and brought it back to me." She looked at her brother with new admiration.

Jonathan started to confess, but Eleanor shook her head. "That story is for another time." She moved closer to Margaret. "Tell me about Megan. Have you called the police?"

Jonathan shrugged. "I tried, but she stopped me. She says they will kill Megan if the police are called."

Eleanor's voice was a soothing melody. "You don't need to sell the necklace, Margaret. I will give you the million dollars to pay the ransom."

Margaret's eyes filled with tears of gratitude as she stared at the shattered picture. "I'm sorry, Eleanor."

"Water over the dam, dear. Let's focus on getting Megan back home safely. Have they told you when to make the drop?"

"The voice said he would call again."

"I'll take the money to them. You aren't going to do this by yourself." Jonathan looked at Margaret and then Eleanor. "Tell her we should call the police."

"No, they might have the house bugged or her phone tapped. Just do as they ask. I'll do the rest."

"You? But Eleanor, you're dead?" Margaret questioned.

"You're talking to me, aren't you?" Eleanor smiled. "I can do a lot of things I couldn't do when I was alive. Ask Jonathan some time." She glanced in his direction, and they both smiled. "For now, you'll have to trust me."

"How can I thank you?" Margaret sniffled.

"Just by saying it. It takes no more than that."

Margaret stared into Eleanor's eyes. The look of love said more than the words as she whispered, "Thank you."

"Now, you two, wait for the call. When it comes, I will know even if I'm not here."

"You aren't staying? But I — we need you."

"You'll be fine, just the two of you leaning on each other. I won't be far, but I have something I must do."
 
Margaret watched as Eleanor faded away. "She's gone." Looking at Jonathan, she asked, "Was she real?"

"Trust me. She's real."

*****

Eleanor was determined and focused as she quickly found her next stop.

Detective Donatelli pulled his unmarked car into a shady spot at a rest area close to the station. He hadn't slept much and knew he needed a quick power nap with many more hours ahead of him. He tipped his hat down over his eyes and was fast asleep within seconds.

He looked so peaceful when Eleanor found his car, but time was of the essence. She gently tapped on the car window. Donatelli stirred but didn't wake. She tapped again, harder this time. His eyes flickered open, and he slowly sat up, groggily looking around.

"Detective Donatelli," Eleanor called softly.

Frowning, he blinked his eyes, muttering, "It can't be." He rubbed his eyes and looked again. "It can't be you again. I must be dreaming."

Eleanor joined him in the front seat, tired of standing outside the car. "Detective, you need to wake up."

He jumped when her voice came from inside the car.

"Lady, how did you do that?"

"It's simple." Eleanor disappeared and knocked on the car window. "See, it's easy." With that, she rejoined him inside the car.

"Stop that! I know I'm sleep-deprived, but seeing ghosts is a bit of a stretch." Matthew pulled himself up into an upright position. "You can't be real."

"Fine, if that makes you feel better. I don't care, but I need you to listen to what I am going to tell you. It is very important." Eleanor's insistence was unwavering.

"Okay. You're not here, but I'm listening." The detective took a deep breath. "I don't know the trick, but go ahead."

"It's not a trick." Eleanor snapped her finger, and a cup of steaming hot coffee appeared. "Here! Maybe this will help. I need you to focus."

Matthew took the coffee and sniffed the cup.

Eleanor chuckled. "You don't believe I'm here, but you think I drugged your coffee."

He shrugged and took a swallow. The coffee tasted wonderful. "That's my favorite from Papa Joe's. How'd you do that?"

"It's simple when you're a —"

"No, don't say it. I don't believe in things that go boo in the dark."

"Then there's nothing to worry about. I'll never say boo!"

Donatelli drank some more of the coffee. "Okay, saying I believe you're really here and really talking to me. What's so important?"

"Megan Ashley has been kidnapped."

"I haven't been notified. By whom and when did it happen?"

"I'm not sure by whom, but my sister is waiting for the call to tell her where the money should go. My brother will take it. I believe you know Jonathan."

Donatelli thought for a moment. "The gambler. He's in really deep with Veraci. Did he take the girl for the money?"

"My brother — no, he did not." Eleanor scowled. "I don't have much time. Just listen. I need you to put a tail on my brother. So, after he makes the drop, you can catch whoever it is."

"And if he keeps the money?"

"Then arrest him, but he's not going to keep it. He's a changed man. A reformed gambler."

"Overnight? Now both of us are dreaming."

Eleanor grinned. "My presence tends to do things like that to people."

"Listen, lady, if this is some hoax. Who's behind this charade?"

"If I told you, you wouldn't believe me."
 
"Try me," Donatelli insisted.

Eleanor smiled. "Judge Doyle."

"The honorable Judge. Now I know this isn't happening."

"Trust me, it is. Just follow Jonathan. What have you got to lose?" Eleanor disappeared from the car. Donatelli, wide-eyed, looked in the backseat and all around.

Eleanor tapped on the window. "I've got to go, but here's another cup of coffee. With a snap, she held out the Styrofoam cup. "Is it a deal?"

Donatelli took the coffee. "I know I'm going crazy, but it's a deal."
 
As she disappeared, he heard her call out, "Boo!"



Recognized


Eleanor Bennett alias (CJ Grey) - a woman of mystery
Margaret Ashley - Eleanor's sister
Megan Ashley - Margaret's daughter
Trevor Ashley - Margaret's son
Jonathon Williams - Eleanor's brother
Audrey and Jackson Mayfield - Art Gallery Owners
Craig Winslow - Attorney
Matthew Donatelli - Detective
Olivia Esposito - Female detective with Donatelli
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent -
Tango and Poppa - FBI Agents and Garth's sidekicks
Jenna Bradford - neighbor/friend and confidanct of Eleanor Bennett
Danny Veraci - casino owner and crime boss
Charles Weldon - A reknown artist and a memory from the past
Dylan Weldon - Charle's nephew and protege
Charlie (Charlotte) Morgan - Inspector Metropolitan Police. England
Jose Martinez - detective
Judge John Doyle - a prominent member of the judicial court and a crook
Fenton Dawson - court-apointed lawyer
Mr. Donovan - the backstreet jeweler
Sasha - Megan's best friend
Nick - the charming guy at the party
Helen - Eleanor's life time friend
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.