Young Adult Non-Fiction posted July 17, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
3,400 words. Another Rabbit, Allen, and Roy adventure.

The Shame, Hurt, and Wrestling

by papa55mike

It's been a month since Rabbit received that brutal beating from his Mother.

Cast: Michael, Allen, and Roy, the three young men who have been friends since Michael moved there six years ago. Michael's nickname is Rabbit.

Gloria, Rabbit's Mother, and Bill, her new boyfriend.

Pastor Jerry, Rabbit's dear friend and Pastor of the Drexel United Methodist Church.

~

The past month has been long and hot, and Rabbit has endured it silently. He has yet to speak four words to his Mother. The bruises have healed to a degree, though the scar above his nose is still prominent. His glasses cling together with a remarkable Super Glue and Duct Tape formula.
 
Rabbit's spirit is still in despair, swimming just below the surface, and only comes up for air when necessary. A smile hasn't crossed his face since that fateful day.
 
Rabbit hears a knock on his door, and Pastor Jerry is peeping through the screen with a giant smile. After hearing what happened, he wants to talk to Rabbit. The Maple tree calls them both to its grateful shade. They speak of many things, but mostly of forgiveness.
 
With a solemn look, Rabbit says, "That will take a while, Pastor. If ever."
 
"Please, Rabbit, don't allow that root of bitterness to grow in your heart. It will change your life forever."
 
"I believe that has already happened, Pastor Jerry." Rabbit chuckles. "I live by fear now and never know when I'll say something to set Mom off in that murderous rage. Mom destroyed my most treasured possessions, a few measly books. Then, she took away my dreams. There's nothing left but bitterness."
 
Pastor Jerry wipes his eyes and says to his dear friend, "Think of what Jesus endured during the Roman scourging, and He forgave them. Forgive your Mother, Rabbit. Please, do it for you." 
 
With that said, Pastor Jerry rose with a big smile for Rabbit and then disappeared down the driveway.
 
Rabbit goes back to his chores inside with tears creeping down his cheeks. His mind is swirling with questions. What about the shame of that ruthless beating? What about the forgiveness I should have received from Mom? All I wanted to do was to be a friend to Carl. As for my reading and writing, they were a chance to escape to a place of hope. Rabbit screams, "I don't understand!" He flops face down on the couch and weeps.
 
~
Today is the last day left of his sentence, and Rabbit will be free to roam the streets of Drexel again. The Tank is more than ready for road duty. Rabbit has taken great care of it during this time in storage. Its gold paint shines! He can't wait until they weave through the Kennworths and Peterbuilts to see the smiles of his many friends at Jack's Junkyard. Then, there are the adventures with Allen and Roy, where adulthood is not required - to have the freedom to find their way through life.
 
Rabbit slowly creeps into the living room. Gloria, his Mother, sits on the couch reading the Dayton Daily News she took from work while Channel 7 news plays in the background on their old Dumont. She's dressed in her old blue Granny Gown, pink robe, and green slippers.
 
He stands there quietly, struggling to find the courage to forgive her and say it out loud. Gloria sees him standing there and asks, "What do you want?"
 
"Mom, I want you to know I forgive you for what happened."
 
She snaps her newspaper closed and snarls, "I don't need your forgiveness for something you deserved! Who do you think you are, God? Do you want me to get that extension cord again? I'm sick of seeing you constantly moping around the house. Get out! I want some peace."
 
Rabbit stood firmly, thinking, I promise, that's the last time you'll hurt me, Mom. At least I tried, Pastor Jerry. 
 
He slowly steps through the screen door, smiles at the hot sun overhead, and whispers, "To be free, truly free. If only for a moment."
 
Rabbit climbs aboard The Tank, longing to feel the wind flow through his flattop. He quietly glides onto Infirmary Road and stops. Rabbit has waited for this moment for an eternity. Why isn't his joy starting to rise?
 
There, screaming at the back of his mind is fear and the sound of that cord whistling through the air, finding its target. He looks back to the house and whispers, "I'm not going back in there now."
 
Rabbit stands on The Tank's pedals, pumping his legs with all his might, screaming down the road, and blowing past Jack's Junkyard. He might not stop until he gets to Cincinnati.
 
He feels the blood coursing through his body, and it's exhilarating. His mind tingles with excitement. Faster and faster he rides. He wants his life back and more!
 
The Tank begins to slow before State Route 22, three miles away, near the end of Infirmary Road. His legs are shaking, but his spirit is starting to soar again. A half smile begins to show on his face.
 
Rabbit mounts up again after catching his breath. He starts back towards Third Street. Along the way, he picks up two people on his tail, riding silently behind him. All three of them take the tour through Jack's Junkyard to a resounding applause from all their friends. With big grins, every worker is excited to see Rabbit, Allen, and Roy again. Even Jack came out of his office to wave at them. Many of these grizzled junkyard warriors were wiping tears from their eyes. It was a long month without seeing their dear friends.
 
The tour continues toward Third Street, bringing smiles to Mr. and Mrs. Forrest and Rabbit's Grandmother, Dorothy. They were having coffee on the Forrest's front porch.
 
Somehow, life on Infirmary Road had returned to normal.
 
The three riders catch the red light perfectly. They glide across Third Street to the Dollar Store parking lot and park their bikes. Roy stands there with a huge grin. Allen puts his hand on Rabbit's shoulder and asks, "How are you, Rabbit?"
 
"A little better. I've been saving this fifty cents for a while. The Three Musketeer bars and R.C. Colas are on me."
 
The three young men stumble into the store, laughing with their arms linked together in friendship.
~
It's their first Saturday together in a month, and stories have been swapped repeatedly under the Maple tree. The favorite of Roy's is about French kissing a girl named Jill at summer camp. "She's a fourteen-year-old cutie from California with passionate brown eyes. I almost made it to first base."
 
Rabbit has to ask, "What's first base again?"
 
"It's getting your hand up her shirt to unbuckle her bra, Rabbit."
 
"And that helps you how?"
 
Roy shakes his head, saying, "That's the first step to getting her naked."
 
Rabbit is picking at him now. "What do you do then, Roy?"
 
"Do I have to draw you a picture, Rabbit?"
 
"Oh, please do. Don't leave out a thing, Roy. Will you make it like a comic book?"
 
Allen cracks up, "Don't you see that Rabbit is picking at you, Roy?"
 
The excitement in Roy's face drains on the ground. "Funny, Rabbit."
 
"No, it was hysterical." Fear suddenly fills Rabbit's face when he hears a car turn into the driveway. "Mom must have got off early."
 
Allen says, "Dear Lord, she'll flatten us with the car!"
 
"I doubt that." Rabbit answers, "It might hurt the old Ford."
 
Mom slams the brakes, stopping a few feet away. Roy and Allen look for a place to run, but there isn't one. Panic fills their faces.
 
Rabbit looks a little confused, but he isn't running.
 
Gloria gets out with her giant black purse in hand. Her red-blonde hair is messy, and her orange paisley dress is a little sideways. For some reason, there's a smile on her face. "Hello, boys!" She sounds a little tipsy, too. "I have a surprise for you three."
 
Rabbit is really confused now!
 
"I have tickets for all of us to tonight's wrestling at the Fairgrounds. How does that sound?"
 
Allen and Roy look at Rabbit with pleading eyes, and he doesn't have an answer.
 
Rabbit asks, "That sounds great, Mom, but where did you get them?"
 
"If you must know, Michael. There from Bill at work, he'll be here at five-thirty. He's taking us for burgers and fries before wrestling. I hope you three will take a bath and wash a little extra, Roy."
 
Roy meekly answers, "Yes. ma'am."
 
Gloria wobbles into the house, paying no attention to them now. Rabbit hears her purse plop on the kitchen table and a big sigh when she hits the couch.
 
Roy and Allen turn to Rabbit, and Roy says, "What the crap is going on Rabbit?"
 
"I don't have a clue!"
 
Allen asks, "Who's Bill?"
 
"He's a new one on me. We'll find out later. You had better ask your Mom if you can go."
 
Roy answers, "They'll be thrilled to get us out of the house on a Saturday night."
 
"Well, I better get in there. Be sure to wash extra, Roy."
 
"Stick it, Rabbit!"
 
"Ah, good one, Roy. I like that one."
 
"Thanks, Rabbit. I do try." Allen and Roy disappear down the driveway.
 
Rabbit slowly opens the screen door and sees his Mother asleep on the couch. Her purse lies open on the kitchen table. He glances in to see what he can see. The first thing is a half-empty bottle of Peach Schnapps. She does have some matches. But what is she doing with condoms? Why doesn't he carry his own? Is Bill married?
 
Rabbit whispers, "Well, well, the plot thickens."
 
It's about six-thirty, and they're heading for the fairgrounds in Bill's, Navy Blue, Crown Victoria. The burgers and fries came from a pub downtown and were excellent. Rabbit noticed Bill and Mom having a few drinks while eating theirs.
 
Allen leans over and whispers, "I wonder how many people bit the big one in here?"
 
Roy chimes in, "You do know this is a gangster car, Rabbit?"
 
"Well, that makes it easier for Mom. She'll just hire a killer to take me out."
 
The boys chuckle, and Roy says, "Good one, Rabbit."
 
Rabbit cut out the card for tonight from the Dayton Daily News. Six big matches on the card, opening with Baron Von Raschke versus The Oklahoma Kid. Then Louis Martinez takes on Jess Ortega. Johnny "New  York" Valentine and Cowboy Bob Ellis renew their vicious feud in the third match.
 
The last three matches are the ones Rabbit is very interested in. First, it's Wild Bull Curry versus Chief White Owl. Curry slipped into the TV studio while the Chief was wrestling and destroyed his full headdress. White Owl demands blood for his actions. 
 
A U.S. Tag Team Championship match is the first main event. The champs, Pampero "Wild Man" Firpo and Kid Colt take on Flying Fred Curry and Tony Marino. Fred is Wild Bull's son and wrestling's highest flyer.
 
The main event pits Bobo Brazil against the dastardly Shiek. The dirtiest wrestler in the game, and it's for the U.S. Heavyweight championship.
 
Rabbit smiles and whispers, "What a card!" 
 
It took them a few minutes to get parked, through the turnstiles, and find their seats. What great seats they are. The ring is on the horse track, surrounded by ringside seats. The grandstand seats reach for the darkening sky and are full of people. Rabbit and the bunch are on the mezzanine, about ten feet from the ring.
 
Roy says, "This is so much better than TV!"
 
Allen asks Rabbit, "How many people do you think are here?"
 
"At least, 7,000 to 8,000. Your guess is better than mine. I don't see any empty seats."
 
Roy sees several kids standing along the fence where the wrestlers come to the ring. Baron Von Raschke is standing there with his security guards. They are laughing and joking with each other. Which is strange; he's a rude butt in the ring.
 
Roy asks Rabbit, "See if your Mom will let us go down there?"
 
"Hey, Mom. Can we go to the fence where the wrestlers come in?"
 
They break their liplock long enough to answer, "If it gets you out of our hair, yes."
 
"Thanks, Mom." The moaning increases.
 
Rabbit, Allen, and Roy reach the fence when the ring bell chimes. The Baron turns to the officers and shakes their hands with a big smile. 
 
Instantly, he turns into his character and starts goosestepping toward the ring, waving his Nazi flag, hurling insults at all the ringside patrons while he circles the ring. Many of them jump up, screaming at him as he passes.
 
Rabbit leans over to Roy and says, "It's off to a flying start!"
~
 
The buzz of the crazed crowd after the last match is slowly dying. Rabbit, Allen, and Roy are standing by the fence cackling. Roy says, "It's happened like we thought so far. The Baron pounded The Kid into the mat."
 
Allen adds, "The Kid got a few licks in, but the Martinez, Ortega match was fantastic. Those two guys were flying all over the ring."
 
Rabbit chimes in, "Too bad it was a draw. I don't know what to call that last match. Watching Valentine sneaking through the crowd with that tire iron was so funny. Everybody was screaming at him. He and Cowboy Bob never made it in the ring, but to the hot dog stand!"
 
Allen says, "I couldn't believe it when Bob smashed that massive bottle of mustard on Valentine's head. It splattered all over that woman in the crowd."
 
Roy laughs, "Then he dumped the rest on Valentine."
 
The three of them crack up again!
 
Rabbit wipes his eyes, saying, "The best matches are still to come."
 
Allen asks, "Who is going with me to the bathroom?"
 
"My bladder may explode," Rabbit answers. "But I'm not moving from this spot!"
 
Roy says, "I have to go to." They meander through the crowd toward the bathroom.
 
Rabbit glances back at his Mom and Bill. They have yet to come up for air. He wonders what all of this is leading to. How will it change his life?
 
Roy and Allen return to the fence when the car arrives with the next participant inside. Allen points to the car and says, "It's Wild Bull Curry with his big, bushy eyebrows."
 
A larger crowd of kids gathers at the fence to see the other despicable villain on the card. He's the man who knows every dirty trick in the book because he wrote it. 
 
Rabbit finds it amazing that Wild Bull is standing there joking with the two security guards. He hears Curry say to them, "Watch this."
 
Here comes the Wild Bull running at the fence, growling like a lion, "Roar!"
 
Every child at the fence, including Allen and Roy, ran, screaming back to their seats—except one. Rabbit just stood there grinning from ear to ear.
 
That's when the dastardly villain's face changed to that of a loving grandfather. Curry smiles and asks, "What's your name, son?"
 
"Michael, Mr. Curry, it's a pleasure to meet you."
 
"I like you, Michael. I have a grandson in Indiana who looks like you, and I don't see him often enough."
 
"Can I shake your hand, Mr. Curry?"
 
"It would be my pleasure, son." 
 
Curry reaches his hand across the fence, and they join hands. His hand swallows Rabbit's.
 
"Good luck tonight."
 
Curry smiles and says, "I won't need luck against that bum."
 
Allen and Roy slowly return to the fence, asking, "Did you shake his hand, Rabbit?"
 
"Yes, and it was hard as a rock!"
 
Roy says, "I'd hate to feel it against my head."
 
Allen smiles, "He'd knock you into next Tuesday, Roy." 
 
The three young men turn to the announcer with Wild Bull already in the ring. Before he can speak, Chief White Owl jumps into the ring and attacks Curry from behind, clearing the ring. White Owl beats Curry up for the next ten minutes, with the referee constantly trying to break them up. 
 
The ref finally gets White Owl away from Curry so he can get on his feet. That's all Wild Bull needs. Everybody watches him dig deep in his trunks and pull out some Brass Knuckles. The crowd is screaming at the ring, trying to warn the ref. That's when White Owl gets loose and charges Curry, who steps aside. He hits the Chief with his big 'Brass Knuck' right hand. White Owl falls like a rock, and Curry quickly pins him. The crowd explodes in anger, throwing popcorn and drinks at the winner. Wild Bull Curry soaks it all in before leaving the ring.
 
Rabbit hollers at Allen and Roy, "I told you Curry would beat him."
 
Roy answers, "Yeah, but the Chief got some revenge."
 
Shortly after that, Pampero "Wild Man" Firpo and Kid Colt start for the ring wearing the U.S. Tag Team Championship belts. They torment the crowd with every step. The hairy Firpo is flexing his right for his finishing move, The Claw. Supposedly, he's sent many wrestlers to the hospital. 
 
Flying Fred Curry and Tony Marino come running to the ring. Fred always jumps over the top rope with ease. This match is a clash of styles: the power of Firpo and Colt versus the speed and agility of Curry and Marino. 
 
The match was back and forth for the first twenty minutes until Firpo put his Claw hold on Tony Marino's head. He's lying there, twitching, and you could count to ten. For some reason, Kid Colt jumps in the ring without being tagged in, and the ref turns to get him back out. That's all Flying Fred needed. He jumps to the top rope and leaps - soaring through the air with a flying dropkick that catches Firpo right between the eyes. Curry quickly throws his partner's arm over Firpo and slips out of the ring. The ref sees it and dives to the mat, counting one, two, three. The crowd erupts with a roar that you can hear in Xenia. 
 
The announcer grabs the microphone and says, "The new U.S. Tag Team Champions, Flying Fred Curry and Tony Marino!" The crowd goes wild again. Rabbit, Allen, and Roy are arm in arm, jumping in a circle while screaming at the top of their lungs.
 
With the ring now empty, a nervous quiet envelopes the crowd. Cheers break out when Bobo Brazil jogs into the ring in his gold tights and boots.
 
Rabbit says, "One title has changed hands; can another?"
 
Out of the darkness appears the evil Shiek. He's waving his Iranian flag just above the inflamed crowd. He whips off his turban and cloak and climbs into the ring. The six-foot-eight-inch, 320-pound Brazil is trying to get to him, but the ref is in the way. 
 
The Shiek is known for using anything to win, including pencils, knives, nails, and salt in the eyes, and he possesses the gift of fire. He's thrown it in the face of many foes. Tonight is no different. The Shiek catches the ref, admonishing Brazil, and goes to the trunks. When the ref turns, he catches the flame in the face, meant for Bobo. The ref screams, falling out of the ring. The Shiek, who stands at six-feet-two and weighs 240 pounds, is now alone with a furious opponent.
 
Bobo proceeds to pound the Shiek all over the ring. His patented move is the Coco Butt which is a head butt from his massive noggin. The beating lasts a few minutes until the fourth Coco Butt, Brazil wraps the Shiek up for a pin to win the title, but there's no referee to count him out. Finally, a replacement ref runs in from the back and counts one, two, three. The crowd goes wild again.
 
But wait a minute.
 
The first referee, burned by the fire, crawls back into the ring and says he disqualified the Shiek before the match started. The title can only change hands with a pin. 
 
The lights flicker while thousands of happy faces head for the exit. Rabbit watches the wrestlers, the referees, and the announcer head to the showers, knowing they put on a great show tonight. 
 
Other people quietly emerge from the shadows - dark, silent figures with brooms, bags, and cans to clean up the mess left by the sold-out crowd. Their faces look sullen and unaware of the happiness left behind.
 
After midnight, Rabbit climbs into bed, leaving his Mom alone at the kitchen table. Thoughts of meeting Wild Bull Curry fill his mind when he turns over with a big smile.
 
A few minutes later, he hears the screen door close and the car start, then slowly back out of the driveway.
 
Rabbit whispers, "I wonder what Motel they're at."




Xenia is a small town about fifteen miles from Dayton.

I remember seeing every one of those wrestlers so many times, either at the Fairgrounds or at Dayton's legendary Hara Arena. Hara Arena is a great Google search. It hosted so many wrestling events and concerts. The greatest entainers passed through that little arena. Sadly, it was destroyed by a tornado in 2013.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.