General Non-Fiction posted July 8, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Daddy is home

Welcome Home

by BlueMarble


I was somewhere close to four years old that memorable day.  I remember it must have been a warm summer day because the front door was open, and we could see outside. 

There was a hook and latch type lock on the screen door to keep my sister and me from running in and out and getting into mischief when our mother was too busy with household chores to watch us, and our older brother was not in the mood to go out and play with us.

That’s pretty much the way it was the day that man I didn’t remember ever having seen before came up on the porch and tried to open the door. 

“Damn it open the door or do I have to tear it open” the man shouted as he dropped his duffel bag on the porch.

My mother let out a scream that frightened me, as she ran to open the door, but instead of chasing him away with the broom, she jumped into the man’s arms.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I was standing there watching in confusion when my brother came in the room.  “Who’s that man kissing mommy?”  I asked in confusion.

“That’s your Daddy dummy” was his answer.

 * * * His enlistment was over, and Dad was home.  * * *




First Memory writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
What is your earliest memory? Get descriptive in telling us about that memory in as much detail as you can remember. Try not to put your adult sensibilities into it. Keep it to the point of view of the child you were.

No word count limit
Any style
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BlueMarble All rights reserved.
BlueMarble has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.