General Fiction posted July 8, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A special gift from a special lady.

Shopping Day

by Claire Tennant


"Oh, Nanna, look!"
Nanna smiled, looking at me with a tenderness felt but rarely shown, Grandpa being the more effusive of the two grandparents. This day was the exception. We entered the shoe shop. I fancied a pair of red leather lace-up shoes that were displayed outside. Since I had health problems and therefore 'funny' feet, the style may not suit me. The sales lady was empathic. She could see the excitement in my face. Nanna sat beside me, letting me make the decisions. In other words, if the shoes were comfortable, Nanna could afford the cost. My eyes were shining. I looked like everyone else with fancy shoes, and I sensed that Nanna would deal with Mummy. Even at three years old I also sensed that Mummy was too protective.

"Can we have ice cream?" I asked
There was a cafe, run by two brothers and always busy. When we visited, Nanna always gave me the money, and I had to ask for what I wanted. She stood behind me, saying nothing. Ice cream in a cone; was often called a 'pokey hat'; in other words, it resembled an upside-down pointed hat.

Happily, the shoes were comfortable. I danced my way back to Nanna's house. Mummy was delighted but concerned. I wore those shoes at every opportunity until I grew out of them.

Sadly, Nanna did not have much longer to live, so my education in independence was curtailed. Fear not, I still love ice cream, but the pokey hats are out of fashion, as are red leather lace-up shoes. Oh well, I am much older than three now!



First Memory writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
What is your earliest memory? Get descriptive in telling us about that memory in as much detail as you can remember. Try not to put your adult sensibilities into it. Keep it to the point of view of the child you were.

No word count limit
Any style
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.