Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 4, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A struggle

Imaginary Scars

by Terrence Francis


The flickering streetlights cast long, haunting shadows along the cracked sidewalks of Lafayette’s Northside, where Montrel Malveaux shuffled silently into the abandoned night. The Marine Corps had been his crucible, shaping him into a bonafide warrior across four grueling combat tours. In Hit, Iraq, where the landscape blurred into endless dunes and the air reeked of sweat and gunpowder, an IED had left him with more than just scars – it splintered his reality into shards as sharp as the shrapnel that had pierced his helmet.
It was a night like any other, as he trudged into the Northside High School, the janitor’s keys clinking mimetically with the eerie hum of the fluorescent lights – a numbing symphony of desolation. He patrolled the dim corridors, sweeping away the remnants of adolescent chaos. The school was silent, save for the soft padding of his only loyal companion, an old mutt named Blue, whose eyes held the kind of grizzled wisdom Montrel now saw in his own reflection.
Forty years had slipped through his fingers like sand. He remembered a life that felt borrowed – a wife whose laughter lingered like a haunting melody, kids whose faces blurred into a collage of wistful memories, and a couple of rambunctious dogs who had bound together their little world with a leash of unconditional love. It was a life filled with Sunday barbecues, school recitals, and the rustling leaves of autumn afternoons. But now, in these ghostly halls, Montrel realized that reality had been nothing but a cruel illusion.
Montrel’s nights were eerily punctuated by the silent company of mannequins, discarded by a world too fast to care for the broken. He’d dragged them from department store dumpsters, positioning them around his empty house like phantom family members, twisted echoes of a life he had crafted in his mind to escape the relentless void. Their blank faces, frozen in an uncanny and perpetual mockery of human expression, seemed to stare into his soul, a reflection of the desolate silence that echoed within him.
“Time to retire,” he muttered, his voice swallowed by the cavernous emptiness of the school’s gymnasium. In reality, Montrel was retiring from the nocturnal grind of janitorial duty, a monotonous oasis in his storm-tossed psyche. The clean linoleum floors and the pristine surfaces were the only signs of order in his fractured world.
As he locked up for the night, stepping out into the cold embrace of twilight, memories tugged at the fringes of his mind – the searing heat of the Iraqi desert, the deafening roar of the explosion, the ringing silence that followed. The TBI had been a curse, trapping him in a waking dream, but here, now, clarity emerged like a cruel dawn. 
His house stood silent in the quiet streets, Blue’s nails clicking against the wooden floor as they approached the door. The mannequins, lifeless sentries, stood as testimony to his silent suffering. He sank into his worn recliner, staring at the blank faces surrounding him, the sickly yellow of a streetlamp casting grotesque shadows across their plastic features.
Montrel Malveaux, a Marine forged in the crucible of combat, was now a prisoner of his own mind. The mannequins stared back, empty and eternal, as he finally allowed himself to embrace the dark truth – the last 40 years had been nothing but an intricate fabrication of a shattered mind, a dream within the desolate wasteland of his reality.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terrence Francis All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Terrence Francis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.