General Fiction posted July 4, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Fiction it is, or call it wishful thinking. Laughter, please

May It End With Laughter

by Reese Turner

Final Words Contest Winner 

Retired Navy Chaplain (a/k/a Pastor Bobby) arrived at the hospital as directed, mid-afternoon. The front desk directed him to the room of retired Chief, Malcolm Tucker.

Arriving at the door, ready to knock, he heard laughter inside.
 
“Laughter? This old sailor has a short time to live and there is laughter? Got to be the wrong room!”

“No, that’s his room. They laugh in there. They mix margaritas in their RV in the parking lot and sneak them in.  They use our rocks and they roll”, said the desk nurse.

“Isn’t that against the rules?”

“Sure it is, but when an old man is dying we are a little more flexible. Or blind. Whatever… Anyway, it is different to hear laughter at a time like this. Not sure what church they go to, but I might visit. What kind of preacher are you?”

“That is beautiful.” Said Pastor Bobby. “I am with the Navy Retired Chaplain Corps. Mr. Tucker was Navy. I got a call this morning that his time is near.”

“He was Navy, huh? Well that explains their drinking doesn’t it?” she laughed.

Pastor Bobby was shocked at first, then smiled, then laughed, “Well, I guess it does. I think I will go join the party."
 
He knocked and the door opened…

“Mr. Tucker? I am Pastor Bobby. Permission to come aboard?”
 
“Permission granted, preacher,"said Malcolm from his bed. "Thanks for coming by. Join us for a margarita? Salt?”
 
“Sure. No salt, thanks.”
 
“Preacher, this is my family here. Daughters, their husbands. I’m a lucky man. And that is my wife, Meg, over there.”
 
“Nice to meet you ma’am and all of you. I must say I have never seen a situation like this.”
 
“Well, we all know what is happening and nothing we can do. Why not enjoy some laughter to the end? Anyway, long as you are here, I have a question,” said Malcolm.

“I will do the best I can, tell me...”

“Nearly every funeral I have ever been to, the preacher says that the dearly departed will be waiting for the surviving spouse and that they will be together for eternity.”

“Yes-sir. That is my belief as well.”

“So my question is this: Is that negotiable? That there is the world’s meanest woman and I think one lifetime is enough. So?”

When the laughter calmed, Pastor answered, “To my knowledge, nothing in the Bible is negotiable. Sorry. But, in your case, sailor, I believe that you will always be in need of a commanding officer. I do not know of a brig in Heaven, but I’ll bet you could find it. Just wait at the Gate and behave yourself.”

“Roger Wilco, preacher!”

Pastor Bobby and the family laughed and hugged and he worked his way around the room.  Suddenly, Malcolm’s expression and color changed. His voice grew weak as he said, “That RV in the parking lot was always my favorite ship. Especially for a long trip. Any chance you all could get me down to it?”

“I will make the arrangements at the Quarterdeck, sailor,” said Pastor Bobby, and left.

As the family wheeled Malcolm by the nurse’s desk, he looked over and smiled. “Thanks much. Permission to go ashore?”

“Permission granted”, she smiled. “And wishing you fair winds and following seas.”


Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death. Fiction only.

Final Words
Contest Winner


Is my Navy showing? Those were some of my best days. This old sailor would like to pass with the same joy as going on liberty...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Reese Turner All rights reserved.
Reese Turner has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.