General Fiction posted July 3, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
thoughts on life

The Last Reflection

by gansach


"Why isn't she in the hospital where there are professionals to care for her?" the niece asked in a quiet voice.
 
The second niece shrugged. "Grandma died at home in her own bed. Technically,
G-pops died at home. She wants to be in her home, too."
 
"Well, it seems like quite an imposition and a lot of extra work for Martha to deal with all this invalid care. But what can you expect, I guess?"
 
After a short silence, the second niece spoke softly. "It really isn't that much. She doesn't have a ton of complicated meds to take. She's content listening to her Audible books for hours. She doesn't have a high maintenance diet to follow . . . she's not eating much at all. And there is a home help aide to handle the sponge baths and toileting needs."
 
The first niece raised her eyebrows. "Oh, I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that. She's always been one to make her presence and opinions known. I can't imagine that's changed . . . even now."
 
The second niece shook her head sadly. "You'll never let it go, will you? Can't we just have peace at the end? What good does holding a grudge do at this point?"
 
The first niece just sniffed and turned away.
 
 
The door opened and Martha appeared, a tray in her hands. "She almost finished her milkshake this time. I think she has a bit of appetite today."
 
The second niece smiled. "That's great! Do you want me to sit with her awhile?"
 
"No, thanks," said Martha. "Noah's with her. He's playing her some of her favorite music. Then she'll probably nap."
 
"Anything you need us to do?"
 
"Not at the moment," answered Martha. "We're good for now. It must be kind of boring for you. Why don't you take a drive, get some fresh air? I appreciate your company, but you could probably use a break."
 
"Are you sure?" asked the second niece.
 
"Let's go!" said the first niece.
 
"I'll text you if I need you," said Martha.
 
 
In the sunny bedroom, the sounds of Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream filled the air. Noah sat in the comfy armchair beside the bed where his grandma lay, eyes closed, smiling, fingers keeping time with the music.
 
As the piece ended, he leaned forward. "Do you want Beethoven's 7th Symphony now, Grandma?"
 
"In a bit," the soft voice replied. "I want to tell you something first."
 
"Okay."
 
The old lady smiled as she looked at him. Such a fine young man. Even though he was in his thirties now, she always saw him as the youngster she watched grow up before her eyes. Where had the time gone?
 
"It goes by so quickly," she sighed. "In my young days, time seemed to stretch out forever. I had such a wonderful childhood. So much fun, so carefree. Summers went on and on, filled with sunny, happy days, good friends, lots of family times. We had adventures, made discoveries, saw new places on family vacations. I loved the camping road trips to all the different states, seeing all the sights. It was wonderful! I just wish I could have realized at the time how special it all was, how lucky we were to have all we did, so I could have appreciated it more.
 
"I had such opportunities, and I was such an innocent, thinking this charmed life would last always. And it did in some ways, but then it's suddenly time to be an adult, to make your own way in the world, to make your mark. There's a lot to learn, mostly the hard way. Getting out on your own, earning a living, being responsible. Oh, I made mistakes and bad choices, silly decisions without thinking things through. But that's how you learn, how you figure out who you are, what you believe in, why you're here. How you know what kind of person you are, what you're made of, how you stand up to what life throws at you. Others can tell you, but you don't know until you see and do it for yourself.
 
"I have some . . . not regrets, exactly . . . just wonderings of what might have happened if I'd chosen the other path at the time. Who can know? Perhaps you wouldn't be sitting here beside me if I'd chosen differently. So I don't regret my choices because I would never want anyone else to have been my family. I love you and your sister and am so proud of you both. And your mother who was a precious gift and has been with me always. I wouldn't change any of it.
 
"But time speeds up the older you get. In my mind, I'm still the young girl in the summers of my childhood; the naive teen trying to figure out my life; the wild child woman searching for my soul mate; the young mother in awe of what I have created; the hardworking mom trying to do all and be all for my daughter; the happy teacher helping my students; the proud grandma in love with her grandchildren . . . they're all inside me, reliving every memory, good and bad . . . inside this old lady praying she's done what she was meant to do in this world."
 
She held out her hand to Noah and he took it in his.
 
"Look around you, stop and smell those roses, take time to appreciate every little thing and realize how amazing this life is in this place, on this planet, in this universe. We are surrounded by miracles! We are miracles!"
 
Noah heard the breath leave her body as her fingers went slack in his. For a moment, he sat there thinking of all she'd said, tears filling his eyes.
 
Then he rose and went to the door. Opening it, he called, "Mom! Grandma's gone!"
 
 



Final Words writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Your character is going to die within moments. What are the final words? Describe the circumstances of the pending death. Fiction only.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. gansach All rights reserved.
gansach has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.