Biographical Non-Fiction posted June 29, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Haibun (rules in my author notes)

A chapter in the book 2024 Gypsy's Prose

Eastern Winds

by Gypsy Blue Rose

After my mom died, my relationship with my dad deteriorated. He was not a good single father, and after five years, he married a horrible woman.  She didn’t want my siblings and me so she kicked us out of her house. My dad went along with her decision. I realized he was a coward.

I lived in Spain when jobs were hard to find.  At 15 years old, I was homeless and without an  income.  But thank God my mother’s sister offered to take me in. She paid for my ticket to America and took care of me until I was able to live on my own.  My sister was 25 years old and decided to stay in Spain. My brother was only 10 years old and it was illegal to kick him out until he turned 18 years old.

 

dark shadows

over withered flowers —

vase full of pain

 

My relationship with my dad was not always bad.  When I was little, he was my idol. He was handsome, smart, strong,  and so much more.  

Dad taught me to ride a bike, I still remember the way the air on my face felt and how excited I was when he let go.  Before he taught me to swim, I held on to his feet as he floated around the swimming pool, it was so much fun!   At weddings, I would step on the tip of his shoes and we danced.  I loved dancing with my dad, I felt so grown up. I remember him brushing my tangled hair, it hurt and mom did it much better, but I didn’t complain because he was trying.  On the weekends he took us on long car rides around Madrid and the cities closeby. 

At the beginning I was mad at him, but after a few years I forgave him. I chose to have peace of mind.  I never stopped loving him.

 

eastern winds sweep

dead leaves off her driveway —

as she picks ripe apples


 

 




Recognized


I welcome constructive criticism

Withered flowers, in Japanese folklore, are seen as a symbol of sadness, despair, and unrequited love.

A reviewer asked me to write more about my life so I added some of it.

My Dad and Mom passed away a long time ago. I have three children and three grandchildren. They are my treasure, the best thing of my life. I would never give up my children for a man. I have a bachelor's degree in business administration. I worked in the social field and teaching most of my life and I loved it. , I have a bipolar disorder, but with medication I live a normal life. I am divorced but I like being single, I don't need a man to complete me. I am a poet and artist. I love writing Japanese poetry and stories. For me, poems are easy to write but I need to practice my prose. I would like to write the story of my life. I'm at peace and happy. I love Fanstory, I have learned a lot and made wonderful friends. I had a challenging life but I wouldn't change anything because it made me who I am today. I'm not perfect but I'm whole.

Haibun is richly varied, in matter and technique. It's a vast genre and only marginally explored by foreigners. Most westeners are not familiar with classic haibun. Haibun can be written in present or past tense. It can be a couple of sentences with one haiku, to long journals with intermitent haiku added at the end of each complete scene.

Japanese poet, Master Matsuo Basho, made haiku and haibun popular in the 17th century. He traveled most of his adult life and wrote haiku and haibun all throughout his journey. Japanese people consider his haibun, "The Narrow Road to the Deep North", the best in their history. It was a travel journal with long entries and haiku in between each section.

Haibun is a poetry form that combines haiku with prose.

Guidelines:

TENSE: present or past

SUBJECT MATTER: autobiographical, travel journal, slice of life, memory, dream short sketch of a person, place, and event.

TOPICS: life as a journey, love affairs, illness, human concerns & experiences

POINT OF VIEW: first person (everything seen through the author's eyes), third person (he/she)

SENSORY: uses imagery, sensory, concrete details, no abstractions

LENGTH: varies from very brief (1-2 sentences) with one haiku, to long journals with interspersed haiku, to memoir-length works Styles Haiku/prose Prose/haiku Haiku/prose/haiku, Prose/haiku/prose/haiku/prose/haiku etc.

PROSE tells the story, gives information, defines the theme, creates a mood through tone, provides a background to spotlight the haiku

HAIKU: moves the story forward, takes the narrative in another direction, adds insight or another dimension to the prose, resolves the conflict in an unpredictable way, or questions the resolution of the prose. Prose is the narrative and haiku is the revelation or the reaction.

Guidelines for Writing Haibun in English by Margaret Chula
click here to read guidelines for writing haibun

for Haibun Today examples and more information click here

for wikipedia definition click here

for Graceguts- more information click here



Thank you very much for reading and reviewing my poem,
Gypsy

pictures from Pinterest account. I have the copyright to presentations and writing; they are also registered in Fanstory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.