General Non-Fiction posted June 29, 2024


A true story about a young girls' tragedy.

Precious Loss

by Brenda Strauser


 
One of the most heartbreaking situations of my teaching career is with a student named Julie, who was in my 12th grade homeroom.
 
Julie was stunning,  with her chesnut colored hair, sparkling blue eyes and a smile that lit up a room. She was witty, funny and full of life. Julie was an academic student and on track for college.
 
A month into the school year, I saw a big change in Julie. She was depressed, withdrawn and failing classes. 
 
I pulled her aside one day
and asked her,"How are you doing?"
 
Tears welled up in her eyes as she told me she was pregnant. My heart sank and feelings of pity for her consumed me. I put my arms around her and held her tightly. Then we discussed the different options she had.
 
As time passed by, Julie accepted her pregnancy and decided to keep the baby. The father didn't want any involvement with her or the baby. Her mom supported her with everything she needed. 
 
In April, Julie delivered a healthy baby boy. She missed 6 weeks of school. 
 
When she returned back to school, she was not the same person. Her behavior was erratic. Julie was depressed, angry and combative with her teachers.
 
I approached her after school one day and asked her, "Julie, How is the baby?"
 
Barely able to speak, Julie said, "I wanted to check on the baby and see if he was awake, but when I went into his room,  he wasn't breathing. I shook him, but he wouldn't wake up."
 
She pitifully looked at me and struggled to say the words,"He was dead."
 
I was speechless and couldn't believe what she had said. A knot tightened my throat. I wrapped my arms tenderly around her while tears were streaming down her grief-stricken face.
 
The doctor told her the baby died from SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, which is the unexplained death of a child under 1, usually during sleep. 
 
I set up counseling for her in school and also mental help out of school. I did not see Julie again after she graduated.
 
Dealing with the death of someone close to you is difficult; but the loss of a baby has to be unbearable. I hope Julie is coping the best way possible after the tragic loss of her son.
 




Picture from Google.
SIDS has no warning signs. They show no signs of struggle and they are often found in the same position as when they are placed in their bed. Babies who die from SIDS seem healthy before being put to bed.
Pays 10 points and 77 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brenda Strauser All rights reserved.
Brenda Strauser has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.