General Fiction posted June 20, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
It turns out well in the end.

Oh No, Not Joe

by Claire Tennant


I was running late for that very important date. It had been one of those days and the price I paid for loyalty caused some anxiety. I tried to call Joe; the mobile phone bell rang for ages. You know the drift when "it" goes into the message bank.
"Hi, you've reached Joe. Leave a message, and I will get back to you..."
"Pickles," I said to myself.
"I need you now, Joe. I'm gonna be..."
Well, the good Lord already knew the predicament, and the general public did not need to. I decided to get on the train and assume we were still meeting for dinner at our favourite restaurant. It was common for us to remind each other or arrange an alternative if something came up.
Suddenly, my mobile phone sang its merry tune. I answered it expecting Joe Hall's melodious, melt-the-kilos-off voice.

Hello. This is Anna."
"Hi Anna, This is Doris. Joe asked me to call you. He has been held up and might be late for the appointment."
"And you are?" I asked.
"I'm Doris."
"Your relationship with Joe is?"
"A friend."
"I see. I..." Was that a crack in my voice?
Doris hung up.
How did she get to use Joe's phone?

That was all I needed after the day of torment. I heard on the grapevine that my boss of six years was leaving, but today it was confirmed. Also, the replacement was someone I could not stand. He was, in my opinion, a prize jerk. I was very stressed. Doris, whoever she was, did not help matters. Yet, still the train chugged on in a sense of normality.
What if Joe was onto pastures new?
'Say It Ain't So Joe, say it ain't so!' I thought.

Like a scratched LP record the thought repeated on the same track.
It was the end Joe was on to...
The Destination reached, I stepped onto the platform with a sense of foreboding. I marched out of the station towards the restaurant, not knowing what to think, my mind racing.
I stopped in my tracks, seeing Joe and another chit of a girl. She started to speak.
It sounded like Doris.
"Oh, Joe, I love you."
So, did I. Would I have to love enough to let go...again? Were men always callous and cold? I really did not think that of Joe. Tears welled in my eyes.
Doris, heedless of her surroundings, stretched up to kiss Joe, no, eat him in a public place. Clearly, she had plans. Joe stood back, embarrassed. He spoke firmly.
"Doris, I did say I am waiting for Anna. We are to have dinner together. Were you not listening?"
"So, the cosy meal is a last hurrah?" she laughed.
I stood holding my breath
"Far from it," he answered.
"I have plans for my life Doris, and someone who is the same age as my niece is not one of them."
"It can't be. Say it is not so, Joe!"
As an answer, Joe walked away from her, ignoring the Oscar-winning, tear-jerking performance. She turned towards him, yelling:
"I hate you, Joe."
Unruffled, Joe walked towards me, his arms outstretched.
"My darling Anna," he said as he drew near, then knelt before me. I saw Doris in the distance, aghast.
"Love of my life. Will you marry me?"
"Yes, Joe. In a heartbeat."
Joe took my left hand and placed a solitaire diamond on the ring finger.
"Let's eat," he said
Roast beef never tasted so good.








 



Say It Ain't So, Joe writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write whatever you please about any or everything. It might be a rant, or an Ode to Remember. Just run and have fun where your mind takes you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Susan F. M. T. at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Claire Tennant All rights reserved.
Claire Tennant has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.