Family Non-Fiction posted June 6, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
How my kids put me in poverty

My Inheritance

by Monica Chaddick


For twenty one years my husband told me that if he died first, I would be well taken care of due to his life insurance. When he died, unfortunately, I had to use half of the life insurance to buy a new car. My children all signed the succession stating that they were not receiving money from the life insurance as I was disabled and this was meant to take care of me. Three of my children began asking to borrow money for various reasons. Trying to be fair, I agreed to loan them money. I purchased a receipt book and kept track. Periodically, they would ask what they owed. That was in 2019. I asked numerous times for payments to be made, and all I got was excuses. When it came down to my needing a co-signer for an apartment, my daughter refused. None of them ever paid me anything back. Finally, for my own piece of mind, on Christmas 2022, I gave them receipts stating that their loans were cleared, as I knew by then that they were never going to pay me back. Now, in 2024, I am living paycheck to paycheck with no savings, and I can't get a dollar from any of them for anything. They won't even help with medication or doctor payments. So much for trying to help and be a good person. The total owed between the three of them came to around $20,000.00. Today, one of them even has a savings built up, while I struggle. Another doesn't speak to me anymore. The third hasn't come home to visit since the funeral in 2019, and has told his brother that he probably won't come home until it is time for my funeral.




A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Monica Chaddick All rights reserved.
Monica Chaddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.