General Fiction posted May 28, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
He visited a place of magic.

David's Carlsbad Caverns

by Jake P.

Sense of Place Short Story Contest Winner 

David stood by his mother’s gravestone long after the burial service. He rubbed the cold stone remembering images of her and himself  as he grew. From his earliest memories it was just the two of them. His father passed while he was an infant, and she had worked hard as a receptionist at Hailey’s Used Cars in the mornings, and a waitress at Peppers in the evenings.

She still managed to see he had food, finished his schoolwork, and spend time with him on the weekends. It was a hard life, but she never complained.

 He had been intrigued by the stories she used to tell him about Carlsbad Caverns. As a young boy, he would eagerly snuggle under his covers as his mother weaved tales of the underground marvels, describing the caverns as if they were a bedtime story to help him sleep. Her words painted vivid images in his young mind, and her descriptions were so real that he carried the vision with him to this day.

Her voice would lull him to sleep with vivid descriptions of the caverns, sharing how she felt something magical had touched her that day she visited. Her eyes would shine with wonder as she recounted the majestic underground world filled with stalactites and stalagmites, glittering with crystals and echoing with the whispers of ancient secrets. David would drift off to sleep, dreaming of the hidden wonders beneath the earth's surface that she had experienced firsthand.

I’ll go there one day, and you’ll be with me in my heart.
****
 David stood at the entrance of the caverns, his heart pounding with anticipation. As he stepped inside, he was enveloped by a cool, damp air that smelled of earth and mystery. The darkness seemed to swallow him whole, but soon his eyes adjusted to the dim light, revealing a world unlike any he had ever seen.

Glistening formations hung from the ceiling like chandeliers made of stone, their delicate beauty reflecting the soft glow of the lights. Stalactites dripped with moisture, creating a symphony of dripping water that echoed through the caverns like a haunting melody. Stalagmites rose from the ground like frozen fountains, their intricate shapes resembling works of art sculpted by nature's hand.

As David ventured deeper into the caverns, he discovered chambers filled with surreal formations that seemed to defy gravity. He marveled at the towering columns that stretched towards the ceiling, their surfaces shimmering with an otherworldly iridescence. Crystal-clear pools reflected the intricate patterns on the cave walls, creating a mesmerizing dance of light and shadow.

Every corner he turned revealed a new wonder, a new masterpiece crafted by the slow passage of time. The walls seemed to breathe with life, their surfaces alive with the ancient history of the earth itself. David felt a sen

As he reached the deepest chamber of the caverns, David stood in silent contemplation, surrounded by the silent beauty that seemed to transcend time itself. In that moment, he felt a connection to his mother, a shared love for this place of wonder and mystery. He closed his eyes and whispered a silent thank you to her, grateful for the gift of her stories that had led him to this sacred place.

And as he emerged from the depths of Carlsbad Caverns, David carried with him not only memories of its breathtaking beauty but also a newfound appreciation for the bond between past and present, between mother and son, that would forever be etched in his heart.


Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word story that describes a place. This should be a descriptive so make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!

Sense of Place Short Story
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jake P. All rights reserved.
Jake P. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.