General Non-Fiction posted May 25, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
True Story Contest Entry

Remembering Bobby

by John Cranford


Bobby Jones was a high school friend. He traveled a later path to Vietnam than I, since after graduating from high school, he went on to become a medical doctor. I had already finished college and completed my tour as an Army combat engineer when He joined the U.S. Air Force.
 
He volunteered for duty in Vietnam as a flight surgeon. On a routine mission shortly after his arrival, his F-4 Phantom jet disappeared over Da Nang. There is speculation that his plane was either shot down or accidentally crashed into the mist-covered mountains surrounding Da Nang. Neither the wreckage nor the bodies of Bobby and the pilot have been recovered.

Interestingly, the identification number Bobby was carrying on his person was discovered next to a tree and positioned in a manner that whoever left it there wanted it to be found. Unfortunately, the local population is reluctant to be forthcoming with any information for fear of reprisals from the North Vietnamese government. Several investigations have been conducted to bring closure for Bobby's family, all to no avail.

Bobby's name has been listed on the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C., as missing in action (MIA) for fifty-two years. I hope one day the cross etched in the Wall next to his name will be chiseled into a diamond signifying that, finally, he has been brought home.

The tragedy of this story is that Bobby's whole life was spread out before him, and his future potential was limitless. But, like thousands of others of our generation, he chose to give his "today" so that we might have our "tomorrow." We owe them a tremendous debt of gratitude and our highest honor for their ultimate sacrifice.

Whenever I go to Washington, I always visit the Wall and touch the cold dark stone where Bobby's name is etched. I'm confident that one day that cold dark stone will reveal its secrets, and he can be put to rest with the honor and glory he deserves.

I truly believe we will meet again in the life to come and exchange stories about the war that changed my life and took his. Until then, I will show my deepest respect this Memorial Day, and all those in the future, by standing and saluting a long lost friend and his comrades in arms who gave their all to defend and preserve our freedom.



True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized


"So in this way he died, leaving in his death an example of nobility and a memorial of courage, not only to the young but to the great body of his nation." - 2nd Mac. 6:31 (NRSV)

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.