General Fiction posted May 19, 2024 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sit back and watch God work

A chapter in the book Right in the Eye

Right in the Eye, ch 25

by Wayne Fowler


In the last part Ben, Sylvia, Slim, and Mary were warned of danger by Benji as they began an early morning hike to watch the sunrise. Benji bit them both and Slim shot one of their guns.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Sylvie,” Ben began, “I’m thinking that we go to Los Cerrillos now, right this minute. I’m feeling it.”

They had just arrived at The Antlers and were about to call Slim and Mary.

“What about what we told the sheriff and Detective Albion? And the room’s already paid for.”

Ben looked at her with an expression of earnestness.

“Okay, honey,” Sylvia agreed. “You want to call Mary and Slim’s room and tell them? You know, have them make sure there’s a room for us at their motel while I pack up?”

Ben reached for the phone, but changed his mind. “I’ll take Benji for a walk, and tell them in person,” Ben said to Sylvia’s confused, but resigned, look.

Ben knocked on Slim and Mary’s door.

“Ready for dominoes?” Slim asked.

“Well, actually, we’re packing.”

Slim studied Ben as Mary walked to Slim’s side. “The Holy Spirit moving ya?”

“Guess you could say that. Thing is, until you two came along, I haven’t had to do much more than decide on eggs or cereal for breakfast.”

“I’m sure that’s not a hundred percent true,” Mary said.

“But we get your point,” Slim finished. “You gettin’ some kinda feelin’?”

“Yeah. Not feeling too safe around here. My first thought would be to send the ladies to Cerrillos. You and I deal with whatever the threat is. But that wouldn’t be right for you.”

“And we wouldn’t do it,” Mary said with a degree of finality.

“So, we all stay here where none of us might not be safe…” Ben knew he’d misspoken, but also knew that they understood him. “And maybe get picked off whenever one was alone, or we all head to Cerrillos and see if we can’t winnow down the potential culprits.”

Neither Slim nor Mary quite understood who Ben wanted to winnow, but that point didn’t matter to them.

“Also, I thought that maybe you girls would allow Slim and I to go in one car, and let you two get away in a different route.”

“But you couldn’t be sure they would follow us, and not the women, using them as hostages.”

Ben nodded. “And the same thing, they could use you two as hostages.”

Mary gasped just the tiniest bit.

“So we need to caravan. Hold tight. Not one get ahead, or too far behind.”

“I wish I knew what my father would do.”

“Or what Jesus would do,” Slim added, a smile on his face.

“Watch God work?” Mary offered. “Might be why they burned down your California home. At least one reason… Keep you right here close.”

Ben nodded. “How about right after lunch. We get all packed and loaded up. You two stay together. And when we finish eating we sneak to the parking lot and zip outta here.

“Like a thief in the night,” Slim said.

“Well, I would use a different analogy, but, yeah. So, on the road, you lead. If we’re followed, we’ll flash our headlights twice. That’ll mean for you to slow down, and we’ll let whoever it is pass us, if they will. Another flash will mean speed up, as fast as you can go safely, and we’ll try to get a policeman to pull us over.”

Slim nodded the whole time as he thought about Ben’s plan. Not finding fault, he continued nodding.

“He means all right,” Mary said, shouldering Slim, grinning.

At lunch, the four kept conversation to a minimum, the women attempting the weather, the food, and maybe a clothes shopping trip to Albuquerque in the future.

There were others in the restaurant, but they didn’t recognize any of them.

As they drove out, Slim and Mary in the lead, Ben told Sylvia of the driving plan. It was a few moments later that Sylvia groaned. “Uh-oh. We’re not real low on gas, but we won’t make it far.”

“Sign back there said South Fork was 21 miles.”

“We should make that, easy enough. Just have to signal Mary.”

“How about if we flash our lights, meaning to slow down, and then use your turn signal and pull over? They should get the message.”

“Yeah, but that might keep us from making the gas station. If it stalls and we have to restart.…”

“Okay, flash your lights twice, and slow down. They’ll think we’re being followed and will slow down like we planned.
We’ll just keep going and when we see the service station, we’ll use our turn signal. They’ll figure it out.”

The plan didn’t work out. With less than two miles to go to get to town, they felt the first chugging of a starved-for-fuel engine. Sylvia shifted to neutral and allowed the car to coast to a stop.

“Turn on your lights,” Ben said. But by then, Mary and Slim were out of sight.

“Do we have any water?” Ben asked. Seeing Sylvia’s confusion, Ben said, “For the gas tank. Water will raise the level of the gas that’s still in the tank. As long as ….”

“There’s a car coming behind us. I think it’s pulling over,” Sylvia said.

“Quick, change places with me. Hop over. Hurry.”

Sylvia did, allowing Ben to scoot under the steering wheel.

“Reach over and get your shotgun, Sylvie. Be careful with it, though.” Ben saw who was getting out of the car that had pulled up behind them. “He’s getting out to come up here.” Ben positioned the barrel of the shotgun across his lap under the steering wheel. He rolled down his window.

Just then, Benji alerted. He’d been disturbed from a sleep by Sylvia’s reaching for the shotgun, but had settled back down. Benji leaped over the seat back and onto Sylvia’s lap. As soon as Donald spoke, stepping close to Ben’s open window, Benji leaped onto Sylvia’s lap growling and snarling.

“Hello Donald,” Ben said as Sylvia attempted to quiet Benji.

“Ben. Thought you weren’t leaving until tomorrow, and then I see your cars are missing. Both cars missing means leaving Creede.”

BOOM! The noise was near deafening as the shotgun erupted, firing into and through the driver’s door and directly into Detective Donald Albion’s abdomen when in Benji’s excitement he kicked at Sylvia’s hand. Albion was blasted backwards into the street.

As Albion fell, Slim and Mary drove up from the opposite direction. Sylvia was nearly hysterical.

Ben opened his door, climbing out carefully to avoid stepping on Albion. “It’s all right, Sylvie! Come around! Mary, would you park where no one will run over Albion? Sylvie, I need you!”

Sylvia was sobbing, but attentive to Ben’s call.

“Donald, Donald!” Ben called. Ben surveyed his wound, a huge, hideous hole right where his belt buckle should have been.

Albion was conscious, his mouth flapping soundlessly.

Having nothing handy to use as a pillow, Ben sat on the ground, stretching out his leg for Albion’s head.

“How’d you know?” Albion finally groaned out, Slim and the two women looked from Ben and one another, confused about Albion’s question.

“You were going to do it at Sylvia’s house yesterday, weren’t you?” Ben asked.

“Didn’t know where she was with her shotgun.” Albion’s eyes glanced toward Sylvia. “How’d you know?” he groaned.

“One thing: you didn’t go to the sheriff’s like you said.”

“Huh,” Albion choked, racking in pain. “And for that, you shoot me?” Albion gasped with pain.

“And those weren’t state or county men at the house. They were FBI. And you had all the hotels and motels canvassed for the out-of-state men, but not the resorts. Not the resort where we were staying.”

“Ben, isn’t there something we could do?” Mary asked.

“He’ll be gone before we could get him anywhere. But thank you, Mary.

“Donald, do you know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? Would you like me to pray with you?”

Albion choked again. Looking from one to the other of the four. When he got back to Ben, he flinched and bucked, his legs kicking as he screamed. As he settled back Slim saw that he’d drawn his revolver. Slim took a half step with his left and firmly planted his right on Albion’s wrist. As he did, the pistol fired, the slug sent harmlessly underneath Sylvia’s car.

As the echo of the shot faded, the four heard the sirens from Creede.

+++

“Folks, I’m awful sorry the way things turned out. You were never… we didn’t intend to put you in so much danger.”
 
Agent Fisher snapped a glance toward Sheriff Tate. “We’ve been on this case from the start.” Fisher pointed to Albion’s corpse. “He was a dirty cop. We let him think he was in charge, but put our men out there. It didn’t go quite as we mapped it out. Shoulda had you folks more involved. I apologize.” Another eye dart toward Tate.

“Albion pulled up to your disabled car. You shot him in the guts. He fired his weapon, hitting the bottom of the car frame on the opposite side. Then Albion bled out and died.”

Sylvia gulped, choking on what went down wrong. Mary gasped at the report.

“But here’s the way it’s going to be written up.” FBI Agent Fisher donned a voice of authority, Sheriff Tate leaned in with as much a posture of attention as he was capable. “I’ve interviewed all four of you. Detective Albion pulled up to your car. And in the melee of events, Albion fired his gun, and was prevented from harming any of you by a shotgun blast to his gut. That about cover it?”

The four looked to one another.

Ben began to speak, but was interrupted by Slim. “Agent Fisher, there might be, you know, in the confusion, a nit-pickin’ ‘bout the sequence, but that’s what happened. Albion was kept from hurtin’ anybody by that shotgun.”

“That’s the way it’s going to be then. I have all your contact information, but I doubt if there will be a need for any follow-up. Any questions? I didn’t think so. Have a good day.” His dialogue left no room for comment.

“Just one thing,” Ben called to the law officer’s retreat. “You wouldn’t have a gallon of gas, would you?”

Sheriff Tate did.

“You know, Ben,” Slim said. “Believe I’ll make us a sign fer the sittin’ room wall: Sit Back an’ Watch God Work.” Slim exaggerated a wink with his good eye.

The end
 



Book of the Month contest entry


Ben P. Persons: 81-year-old son of Ben Persons
Sylvia Adams: grand-daughter of Livvy and William Ferlonson
Isaac Fisher: FBI Agent
Donald Albion: Colorado State Trooper detective
Sheriff Tate: sheriff of Creede and Mineral County, Colorado
Slim Goldman (Herschell Diddleknopper): miner who Ben (senior) rescued in 1886
Mary Diddleknopper: Slim's wife, great granddaughter of LouAnne (Slim's girlfriend from the1870s)

Thank you to each reviewer. I have greatly appreciated your many helps and your tremendous support throughout the Ben Persons/Tony Bertelli/Ben Paul Persons saga. Now, if only we could watch it in a movie.
My prayer is that someone might see that all it takes is faith and a willing heart to answer God's call. The call may be great, or small. That the rewards may never be seen is of no consequence.
I wanted so much to run the rabbit trails of every life affected by the three main characters, Slim, being the only one I allowed.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.