General Fiction posted May 9, 2024 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The conflict begins.....

A chapter in the book The Unwilling Heir

The Unwilling Heir - Chap 16

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 15

Her hand shot out, seizing Madeline's wrist in a painful grip. "You should heed what I say, or I promise you'll regret it. The treasure will never be yours, nor will Noah. If you value your mortal existence, flee this mansion. Otherwise, the next time we cross paths, I might forget my ladylike manners, which is more than I can say for you."  Victoria's breath, a chilling mist, touched her prey. "Well, let's just say —" Her grin a chilling promise as she concluded, "There are fates far worse than death, my dear."

Madeline's eyes widened in terror, her scream piercing the serene afternoon. She yanked her arm from Victoria's grip, the ghost's long fingernails leaving angry red marks on her skin as she stumbled and collapsed onto the creaking floorboards.

Lorrie's urgent voice cut through the air from within the house. "Madeline, what's wrong?" She appeared in the doorway, her eyes narrowing as she caught a glimpse of Victoria's retreating figure. "Victoria, you have not chosen your fight wisely," she muttered as she knelt beside Madeline, her voice low but filled with a steely resolve. "Behind this kindly face lurks a warrior's heart."

Victoria glanced back, a fleeting expression of irritation crossing her ethereal features before she vanished into the shadows, leaving a chill lingering in the air long after she was gone.

Sandra, James, and Tim rushed onto the porch. Sandra joined Lorrie's side as she tended to Madeline. James recognized the lingering scent of Victoria's cologne and muttered, "That woman, ghost or not, is determined to cause problems."

Lorrie raised her head to look at James. "She's declared war, James, and it will not be a pretty sight."

******
CHAPTER 16

While Lorrie attended to Madeline's wounds and helped her inside, the others returned to the study. Having regained her composure, Madeline was upset.

"Did you know that woman was waiting for me?" Madeline probed as she delicately sipped her tea, her voice laced with anger.

"Oh dear, no! Noah had asked to see you. I never would have placed you in that situation." Lorrie busied herself with the bread dough rising on the counter. She brushed a loose strand of hair away from her face, sending a fine flour spray into the air.

"Why does she despise me? I've never seen her around the mansion. This is all so confusing," Madeline voiced, her brows furrowing. "Is it because of Noah?"

Lorrie chuckled, her eyes glinting with a hint of anger. "Noah? The woman would scratch your eyes out if she wanted him, but I assure you she doesn't." The housekeeper seemed lost momentarily, staring blankly across the room before she continued, "It wasn't to Victoria's advantage to allow you to see her until today. That woman believes she rightfully holds the position of the mansion's mistress, and she wants nothing more than to drive you from the house. Especially since she knows you want to find the treasure, too."

"The mistress of this mansion!" Madeline's hand flew to her mouth, and she turned away from Lorrie before asking, "Oh heavens, was she Noah's wife?"

"Oh dear me, no!" Lorrie poured herself a cup of tea and joined the distraught woman at the table. "Madeline, you seem to accept the spirit of Noah as being possible, but you've decided everyone else is a figment of your nightmares."

"Weren't they? As I sit here with you, I even doubt Noah was anything more than a wishful dream," Madeline confessed, her voice trembling with uncertainty. "The idea of ghosts, spirits lingering in this world, it's just — unbelievable."

Lorrie heaved a heavy sigh and twisted her apron several times, her heart aching for Madeline's struggle to accept the truth. She cleared her throat, took a deep breath, and reached for Madeline's hand. "I'm well aware that you consider the existence of ghosts to be sheer nonsense, but you are wrong."

Madeline was quick to continue her skepticism, "Lorrie, you've lived in the mansion for years. I can't imagine you'd have stayed if the place was haunted."

"Tsk-tsk —" Lorrie muttered, shaking her head as she stared at Madeline. The woman hadn't been on her list of favorite people, but it was her duty to keep her from harm, if possible. "Changing your way of thinking, dear, is essential for your own well-being. Look at your arm and tell me those fingernail scratches aren't real."

Madeline glanced at her arm and shivered as she felt her entire body turn cold. "You want me to believe the vindictive woman is a ghost?"

"That's exactly what I want you to believe, Madeline. And you appear to be a threat to her. She will stop at nothing to get what she wants."

Madeline gasped. "I was married to Noah and had every right to be here. Why is the treasure so important to her if she's dead?"

"She has her reasons, and now you have given her another one. She considers herself at the top of the hierarchy in this mansion. You are a threat to her." Lorrie sighed. "There's a flaw in her thinking, of course, but that won't help you. Forget the treasure, Madeline, if you value your life."

Madeline mumbled, "Maybe you are right, Lorrie." Her eyes dropped from Lorrie's gaze, but something needled at her as she sipped her tea.

Lorrie's keen eyes watched Madeline, sensing the turmoil brewing in her. Was it because of Noah, or had Victoria tossed her a gauntlet she couldn't turn away from?

Across the table, Madeline silently questioned herself. Ghost or not, I'll not let that woman drive me from this mansion. Finding the treasure might be the perfect payback. It belongs to Noah, not her.

She lifted her eyes toward Lorrie and smiled. "Of course, you know best. If it's okay, I'll stay another day or two to rest and then leave the mansion." The words no sooner crossed her lips than an unexpected icy finger strummed her spine, reminding her of the danger.

*****

Sandra settled into one of the study's plush armchairs, her legs tucked underneath her. Her eyes scanned each man in the room, studying them carefully. As an investigative reporter, she understood the importance of knowing the people, or in this case, ghosts that surrounded her. She recalled meeting Ryan, Benny, and the Judge at Noah's funeral. They had appeared friendly and relaxed then, but now she sensed an underlying tension and unease among them. The recent events and Tim's arrival had transformed the atmosphere from cordial to suspicious.

James pulled a chair beside Sandra and gestured for everyone to gather closer. "Sandra, I intended to have this conversation with you much earlier before you became embroiled in things you couldn't possibly understand."

The other men nodded, and Sandra smiled nervously. "Weeks ago, I would have laughed if someone said the mansion was haunted. But now, I must admit, regardless of what I thought, I know it's true."

James touched her arm, trying to assure her before he continued, "You won't be alone, I promise you. We will always be nearby unless you must leave the mansion. If that happens, only Lorrie, I, and Madeline, of course, can leave the property, which includes the cemetery." James looked at the men and added, "I think each of them should briefly summarize why you're here and what's keeping you in limbo. Let's start with you, Judge."
 
The Judge nodded to James, took a deep breath, and exhaled. "We met at the cemetery, and I introduced myself as Judge William Parker. I'm sure finding the book in my office must have raised a lot of questions in your mind, including the possibility that I have a criminal history. But the truth is, the book belonged to my grandfather, the first Judge William Parker."

Sandra breathed a sigh of relief. "So, you aren't that man." She dropped her eyes toward her lap and murmured, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you."
 
The men chuckled and exchanged knowing glances. James shared their reactions and then spoke to Sandra, "Excluding Billy and myself, everyone is here because their history wasn't without blemishes." He nodded toward the Judge. "Please, continue."

"My grandfather led a very colorful life but tried to make amends before passing. He began hiding his ill-gotten gains within the walls of this mansion, intending to somehow return them without exposing his fellow cohorts. Before he could, he was murdered."

"Murdered?" Sandra stared at the men, once again wondering if she belonged in this atmosphere. Losing Peppy, a blue parakeet, to Killer, the neighbor's cat, had been too traumatic before now.

Billy nodded. "In the criminal world, grudges don't disappear easily. Each generation searched for the book, hoping to find it and the treasure. I met a similar fate when the wrong people discovered I knew about the book. I refused to give it up and paid the price."

Sandra frowned. "But why come here? What do you hope to achieve?"

"Unlike most, I hesitated to enter the gates of the hereafter. Instead, I pleaded for the chance to redeem my grandfather. My intentions were noble, but my abilities were limited in limbo. I'm here, seeking his redemption by uncovering the hidden treasure with your help."

"Every person who exists in purgatory passes through the mansion. The undesirables live deep in the bowels of the cellar, awaiting their final destination: the fiery pit of damnation. The ones given a chance at redemption wait within the confines of the mansion or roam the cemetery at night until the prayers of someone in their past are answered. Hopefully, a wrong is repaid. Then James must write the ending of each person's story, give it to the panel, and a final decision is made. I hope to discover where the treasure is hidden and, with your help, return it to the rightful owners."

"Why doesn't your grandfather just tell you where it is?" Sandra prodded, hoping for more information.

"The bullet that killed him went through his head, shattering most of his memory. The book was our only hope."

Sandra's eyes widened, and she gasped. "Oh, I lost the book! Have I doomed all of you?" Her entire body trembled as she imagined the worst.

James clasped Sandra's hand in his and squeezed it lightly. "Don't get upset. Victoria said you had the key, but no one can get to the treasure without it. There is still hope that we can uncover it. You have it, right?"

"The key?" Sandra shifted her hand from James's grip and patted her pocket. "I remember I took it from the book, but —"

"Think, Sandra. What did you do with the key?"

Deep in thought, Sandra struggled to push past all the latest events. She rubbed her temples, trying to remember. Suddenly, she blurted, "The jewelry box. I put it in the jewelry box before following Victoria."




Sandra Monroe - fledgling investigative reporter
Annie - Sandra's loyal assistant
Les - Sandra's boss
Detective Ryan Hamilton
Judge William Parker
Benny Gonzales - The Hitman
Lorrie - the housekeeper
James Matthews - writer living in the mansion's carriage house
Noah Wakefield - deceased
Madeline Wakefield - widow
Tim - The Familiar Stranger
Kitty, Maggie, Frank, Teresa - ghosts from Madeline's past
The sheriff - An evil man given one last chance to change his ways
Victoria - the ghostly FORMER mistress in the 1800s
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.