Horror and Thriller Fiction posted May 6, 2024 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Getting nowhere fast!

A chapter in the book Lair Of The Seductress

Cravings

by Douglas Goff


Previous Chapters:

A truck driver had an unfortunate encounter with the mysterious Lilith. She killed three men the year before while Greg was dealing with the hag. Now she is back with a vengeance and Wolf Bend Chief Greg Harsen is called to the scene by FBI Agent David Harkins, a man who really dislikes him. What Greg finds awakens him to the realization that more bad things are coming for him and his little town. Further, Harkins managed to wrangle him into Task Force Ash, which was created to capture the killer.

A county wide call-out for a jail riot interrupted the hunt for Lilith. At the riot, Greg finds out that Jenny's violent ex-husband, Lenny Benslow, has escaped from the jail. They race to his cabin, but Greg's beloved wife had been taken. Through good investigation techniques, they may have found the bad guys' hideout. A shootout ensues, with Jesse getting shot while they rescue Jenny. When Greg went after Lenny to finish him, Sheriff Watson convinced him to take the felon back into custody. Batty Betty Benslow was taken into custody for assisting with Lenny's escape.

Greg thought he was in for a rest, but another Lilith victim, 'Satin Shorts' had been found revealing new clues. Then Greg and Jesse found Lilith's lair, getting closer to the killer. Then Greg had a meeting in the alley with Lilith where he barely escaped with his life. 

New Chapter:

FBI Agent David Harkins slammed his fist down on the table, his frustration apparent. “I really don’t understand what’s going on here. Thanks to Chief Harsen, we know our killer’s shoe size is six as well as her clothing sizes. But we got nothing else.”

“No DNA on the clothes from the taxi driver?” Agent Lee cocked his head. 

“Not one damn follicle. The taxi driver . . . what the hell was his name?” Harkins ran his hand through his salt and pepper hair.

“Harry Naguma.” Greg frowned. What’s this about no DNA?

“Yes. Mr. Naguma stated that the woman stripped to the nude in the back of his taxi. How is it possible for no DNA to have been left behind? Not one hair follicle? She was wearing damn thong panties. I’ve never seen anything like this.” Harkins sighed. 

“And the tow truck guy, Nick Meredith? Anything of value from him?” Colville officer Chenoa Charlo asked. She was Tahoma Charlo’s granddaughter.

“According to Greg’s report, nothing evidentiary. I mean, we couldn’t even pull a print from the Meridith truck or the Naguma taxi. Is this woman really that good? To leave absolutely nothing behind on her clothes or in her hideout. Is she a damn ghost?” David looked perturbed. 

“Not to mention we’ve had no victims in Wolf Bend, but now we have two attempts?” One of the state troopers asked the question that Greg was hoping to avoid. “What do you make of that Chief Harsen? Is she sending you a message now?”

“Could be a message.” More like a warning to back off would be my real guess. “Could be she’s just claiming more territory.”

“It’s certainly an interesting change.” Harkins shrugged. “Still, we aren’t moving the markers forward. We need a break in the case.”

“I don’t agree that we got nothing.” Greg’s comment turned all eyes on him.

“What ya mean, Chief?” Officer Kelsey stared at him. 

“I came here an hour early to study the victimology. Does anyone else find it interesting that none of our vics are even remotely the same?”

“We’ve gone over them with a fine tooth comb, Greg.” Harkins frowned. “Wide range of ages, races, body shapes, and hair colors. Doesn’t appear that she’s seeking anything in particular, aside from male.”

Greg stood. “That’s just it. The lack of any pattern is a clue. Henry Morgan liked a certain female type. John Wayne Gacy liked young boys. The South Shore Slasher went after blond women. They all sought what fulfilled their needs.” 

“So what’s fulfilling Lilith’s needs?” Agent Lee shrugged. 

“Guilt.” Greg smiled while Harkins started digging back through his reports and pulled Greg’s interviews out. 

“Yes. The guilt of attached men. She asked Mr. Naguma if he was married and if he loved his wife. Then she asked the tow truck guy if he was attached and lost interest when he showed no connections to anyone.” Harkins got it. 

“Exactly.” It didn’t hurt that I spoke with the killer in the alley, but I can’t possibly explain how I unloaded my gun into her. 

“So our killer gets off on making it with married or attached men, the guilt and shame driving her to murder? Sounds plausible. Very good, Chief.” Harkins smiled for the first time since the Task Force Ash meeting had begun.

“Very good, Boss.” Katie Kelsey looked at him with admiration. 

“You’re on a roll, Chief Harsen, anything else?” Chenoa Charlo seemed equally impressed, then her smile flipped to a frown. “Wait. What about the Stoggers? They don’t fit that theory. They had no women.”

Damn, Tahoma’s granddaughter is clever. It took me awhile before I stumbled over that. “Yes. The Stoggers don’t fit, but everyone else does. All the others were either married, or in committed relationships. I’m really not sure why she killed the Stoggers. It doesn’t support my theory, but the rest of the victims do. I think we’re on the right path.” I hate it when things don’t fit. 

“Yes, it’s great that we’ve discovered what motivates our killer, but how do we use it to capture her?” Harkins rubbed his hands together. 

“I haven’t figured that out yet, David.” Greg frowned. “But I do know she’s going to kill again, and soon.” 

“How do you know that, Chief Harsen?” Agent Lee was chewing on a pencil. It seems to be a habit with him. 

“She struck out with the taxi driver and then with the tow truck guy. Trust me. Her desire to kill is growing. It’s an obsession for her. She needs it. She will kill again. It’s only a matter of time.” 

“What about the press?” David Harkins held up a plastic bag containing Lilith’s clothes causing the group to lean in and study the contents. A black leather mini-skirt and red sweater were visible through the see-thru evidence bag. “Why don’t we get pictures of these out to the public and see if anyone recognizes them?”

When other task force members nodded in agreement, Harkins continued, “How sure are you that Lilith’s going to strike soon, Chief?”

“One hundred percent.” Greg pointed at one of the wall charts. One hundred and ten percent. If you look at our kill line you will notice she’s struck just about every two weeks. It’s been nearly double that since Satin Shorts. She’s obviously trying with the two near misses.”

Harkins rubbed his forehead. “Any guess as to when?”

“Maybe within the week, but more likely in a day or two.” That’s not easy to figure. 

“Okay. Perkins and Lee, I want you two to get on the phones after this meeting ends and get me as many undercover agents as you can from the other offices in the state. I need at least three hundred to pepper the taxi companies, truck parking lots, rest areas and massage parlors across this part of the state. We’ll work in pairs and use the DHS emergency channel.”

“Three hundred agents is a lot.” Lee whistled. 

“Get what you can from Washington. Then start hitting up the Oregon and California offices. The Deputy Director for this region has already authorized a week. I just needed to nail down the best possible window to use my ace in the hole.”

“I like it.” Greg nodded. It’s better than sitting on our hands, and just maybe we’ll get lucky. “Make sure they all wear wedding rings and have a love story.”


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.