Romance Fiction posted May 5, 2024 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Noah overreacts.

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 11 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, close down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him?
Noah and Sami met 15 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Back inside, Noah gathered the team. "I need to mention two things." He pointed at a ceiling air vent. "Earlier I realized voices carry through these vents. If you happen to overhear a conversation, please inform the people talking. I know it's close quarters, but everyone has the right to privacy."

Sarah sighed. "Noah, did you...?"

He nodded. "I did. I've already taken care of what needed to be taken care of." He touched his lips and grinned. "Now for what I forgot to mention. We still have physical fitness tests so we'll need to remain in shape. Workouts need to happen. Jose, make sure a weight set is delivered, free weights will be fine." He glanced at Sami. "And a chin up bar. I think one that fits between door jambs will work."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 11 A

Around two-thirty Monday morning, Bob, Sarah, and Noah gathered outside Sami's door. Noah whispered, "What's going on?"

Sarah shook her head. "Sounds like Jasper's sick."

Noah motioned for Sarah to knock. He and Bob stood back.

"Sami, is everything all right?" asked Sarah.

Sami opened the door, surprised to see everyone. "I'm sorry."

Thunder crashed. Jasper wailed.

"Storms petrify him."

Bob studied the gigantic dog. "As large as he is, he's scared of storms?"

"Yes. I'm sorry he's disturbing you. Any idea where I can take him?"

Noah hesitated. "No."

Jose joined the team. "I saw the light. What's the problem?" Thunder sounded and Jasper howled. "Got it."

Sami addressed Jose, "You didn't hear him in your cabin?" He shook his head, and she asked, "Can we go out there? Jose can use my room."

"No." Noah set his jaw. "The cabin's not secure."

"It's storming. Who would cause trouble now? I'll be safe." Sami glanced at Jasper. "Besides I'll have this chicken with me. Even during a storm, he'd protect me." She paused. "Noah, please. I can't keep you guys from sleeping. It's not fair."

A long hesitation continued before Noah said, "I don't like it, but okay."

"Thank you."

Sami worked to encourage Jasper to follow her outside. Every time it thundered, he lay down, trembled, and wailed. Eventually, he made it inside the cabin.

*****
A little later, Noah knocked on the cabin door. When Sami answered, she asked, "Why are you here?"

"Couldn't sleep imagining every possible thing that could go wrong with you by yourself."

Sami tilted her head. "Isn't there some regulation about us being alone? You could've sent Sarah."

"True, but I'm the one who authorized the dog." Noah studied the mattress on the floor. "Why aren't you using the bed?"

"I needed to be close to Jasper. He needs hugs and reassurance." Sami pointed to the box springs. "You can sleep there."

"I'll move it over here. There'll be a distance between us."

Sami watched him move the box springs to the floor on the opposite side of Jasper. When he finished, she said, "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome." Noah swallowed. "Just don't kiss me for it."

She smiled. "I wouldn't think of it."

"Good." He chuckled and lay down. "Goodnight. Try to get some sleep."

"You too." After a few moments, she asked, "Why'd you okay it for Jasper to come with me?"

"When we listened in on your conversations, I overheard numerous talks you had with him and couldn't imagine you without him."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

*****
Eventually the storm passed. It was after seven o'clock when Jose opened the cabin door. Sami's arm surrounded Jasper, and Noah slept on the other side of the dog with his hand on Jasper's head.

Bob scooted Jose aside and whispered, "Should we wake them?"

Sarah smiled. "I suspect they didn't get a lot of sleep, but the techs will be here before long. Any idea how?"

Jasper moved and stood, waking them.

Jose nodded. "That's how."

Noah stood as he studied his team, before he could say anything, Bob said, "We already know this will never be discussed."

"Roger that." Noah leaned over and offered Sami a hand. "Ready to start the day?"

She stretched. "I don't have a choice. I'm sure Jasper needs a walk."

As soon as Jasper finished his walk, Sami went to the kitchen and started breakfast. I'll shower and change later. With breakfast over, she quickly prepared lunch.

Sarah came into the kitchen. "It's my day to clean the kitchen. You don't need to."

"I made chicken salad. There are sandwiches for lunch." She opened the refrigerator and pointed. "It's here." She started walking. "I need a shower."

With her eyes meeting Sami's, Sarah asked, "You and Noah okay?"

She smiled. "We're good."

Hearing a vehicle engine, Sarah said, "You'd better get in your room. I think that's the techs."

*****
Over an hour later, Sarah knocked on Sami's door. When she answered, she asked, "I'm glad to see you, but I figured you'd be busy all day."

Sarah pointed toward Noah. "Boss told me to check on you often. He said something like 'A bored Sami, equals a Sami causing trouble.' So here I am."

"He didn't say that, did he?" When Sarah nodded, Sami said, "I'll talk with him about it."

Through the air vent came Noah's voice, "I said it and believe it to be true. I think I have plenty of evidence."

"You may have evidence of me in trouble, but it had nothing to do with being bored. It had to do with me wanting to help teenage girls." Sami paused a moment. "On the back side of the pond I've noticed some wild blackberries. Some are ripe. Can Sarah and I pick them? If there's enough, I'll make a blackberry cobbler for dessert."

"Ugh!!!" Silence. "Okay, Sarah..."

"On it, Boss," interrupted Sarah as she left Sami's room. "I'll be right back."

When Sarah opened Sami's door, Noah's wide stance stood in the living room and ensured nobody saw Sami leave her room. The women and Jasper left through the backdoor.

*****
As they picked blackberries, Sami asked, "Why's all this computer stuff being put in?"

"Bob monitors the city's human traffic rings. The Internet here isn't secure enough for him to safely do it. They'd be able to track the computer to us. We needed an upgrade so he can ping off different satellites and cell towers. Our mission is to arrest the people in charge. It takes time to work up to that level. We bug many of their conversations, so we know what's going on, hopefully to arrest them and rescue as many girls as possible. All while working up their chain of command."

"That's why Noah was buying those girls the day I was kidnapped."

Sarah nodded. "Yes, he bought them before somebody else had a chance. That's what happened with your friend. We didn't know that hit was going down. If we knew, we could've arrested them and returned the girls."

As tears welled in Sami's eyes, Sarah said, "We'll get her back."

"I'm confident you will. Today's her fifteenth birthday. Saturday I was having her Quinceanera."

"What's that?" asked Sarah.

Drying her tears, Sami said, "It's a celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday. It marks her passage from girlhood to womanhood. Myra's mother was Hispanic. The Tuesday after she was taken, we were going shopping. I was buying her a pretty dress. She wanted a lavender one."

"How'd she get in the system?"

"Her mom was sixteen when she had her. Her dad was in a gang and was killed in prison by a rival gang member. To support her, her mom became a prostitute. She died of an overdose when Myra was three."

"Myra's lucky she has you."

"Not lucky enough for me to arrive in time to save her."

Sarah touched Sami's arm. "We'll find her." She glanced toward the house. "We'd better finish and get back. Noah's probably ready to send out a swat team."

Sami laughed. "You're probably right."

Finished filling the bowl with blackberries, the women headed toward the house. Once inside, Noah met them in the kitchen. "You okay?"

Sarah nodded. "Yes Boss, we're fine. Nothing happened."

His eyes met hers. "I'm pretty sure girl talk happened."

Sami put the blackberries in the refrigerator. "It did. In case you're wondering, you weren't discussed. We talked about Myra. Today's her birthday."

His eyes met hers and he nodded. "We'd better get you back to your room."

"I think I'll wash up and rest for a little while. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night."

Sarah said, "I'm sure you didn't. I'll check with you later."

Noah scanned the living room before he motioned for Sami to go into her room.

*****
After washing up, Sami came from her bathroom. Her door opened.

Jasper snarled.

Sami screamed.

Jasper's fur bristled as he bared his teeth.

With weapons ready, Noah rushed in followed by Sarah and Bob. Noah yelled, "You're not allowed in here."

The intruder's stare glued on Jasper. "Call off the dog."

"You're not in a position to make demands." Noah's gun aimed at the man. "I explained which rooms you had access to. This isn't one of them."

The man's hands remained above his head. "I'm Ryan Brown. I overheard a female voice. I had a break and thought I'd introduce myself."

Noah shoved him into the living room and closed Sami's door. "Wrong answer." He opened the front door and yelled, "Jose, get over here."

Jose jogged to the main house. He held his weapon. "Your tone said I'd need this. What's going on?"

Pointing, Noah answered, "Brown thought he could search the house."

"Wrong."

Holding out his hand, Noah asked, "Who has a disposable phone?" After Sarah handed him one, he said, "Watch him. I'm making some calls."

Sami cracked open her door. "Noah?" He glanced in her direction, and then she motioned for him to come closer. He stood beside her, and she whispered, "The day you took me into that room, he was one of the men who wanted a prostitute. He asked for Star."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "Positive."

He touched her hand. "Thank you. I forgot to ask. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Jasper made sure he didn't get closer."

"I'm sure he did. I'll take care of this." Noah faced Brown. "These two fine gentlemen will watch you while I make some calls."

"You can't hold me. I only opened a door. That's not a crime." Ryan glanced at his ringing phone.

Jose took it. "It's a crime here."



~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl who Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Ryan Brown - All around jerk. He thinks highly of himself.



Recognized

#3
May
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for a photograph of a scared Great Dane. They really are big chickens. I grew up with one but are extremely protective of their humans.

Today's post is the beginning of Chapter 11. It's a longer chapter so I broke it in to two sections. This is the first section. It's a short chapter. It only has a little over 1600 words.

Yesterday I made huge changes. I've edited this post daily for two weeks and made major changes yesterday. DARN!!!! I wish just once; I'd be completely happy with what I've written. As I posted, I made corrections. I hope it works. I appreciate all of your support and the review. THANK YOU!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.