Romance Fiction posted April 28, 2024 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sami kisses Noah!

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 10 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, close down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him?
Noah and Sami met 14 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

His eyes started at her feet and ended when his met hers.

"Noah!"

"Sorry." The tips of his ears turned slightly pink. "I was trying to figure out what exercises you do."

"I'd like to hear your guess."

"You jog."

"How far?"

"At least two miles. Probably some sit ups, pullups, and some type of weights. How'd I do?"

"You did a good job. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, while I walk Jasper, I jog three miles around my apartment complex playground. Then I do overhand and then underhand pullups on the swing set. After that I put my toes on the bottom of the slide for incline pushups. Jasper and I jog back to the apartment. Inside I do sit ups and up-downs."

"I'm impressed."

"On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I jog four miles. Every day, alternating days for upper and lower body, I lift weights at school."

He gulped. "I'm sorry about the once over. It was unprofessional. I really was wondering about your workout procedure."

She studied him for a few moments. "You are a man, but for some reason, I believe you."

"Thank you." He glanced toward the house. "We'd better get back."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 10 B

With groceries put away and the pizzas eaten, Noah said, "Let's get this cleaned up. We need to talk." He scanned the area. "Where should we have this brainstorming session?"

Sarah said, "Probably the dining room table, but it's so formal."

"There's the living room," offered Sami.

Bob counted. "We need another seat."

"I have a comfortable chair." Sami walked toward her room. "I'll get it."

Noah rushed to her side. "I'll carry it."

Tilting her head, she continued, "I'm capable."

He grinned. "With your workout regiment, I'm sure you can, but it's not going to happen."

Jose glanced at Bob. "We've missed something."

Bob agreed, "You're right."

Noah carried the chair. "I'll tell you later."

After everyone found seats, Noah said, "I guess we need to catch Sami up." There was a short pause, before he continued, "Sami, your girls came through. Thank you. The church dance ended up being a senior citizen travelogue. Chen was not happy."

Bob shared his laptop screen. "Chen's offered a ten-thousand-dollar reward for the capture and or murder of Trey Morgan."

Sami's hands covered her face. "No!"

Noah stood. "Sami, let's go outside and talk." He glanced at his team. "We'll be right back." He held the door for her.

They walked a short distance from the porch, Noah said, "I don't want them to hear." He studied the stars.

Before he said anything, Sami said, "I'm sorry you're forced to remain here."

"It's not like that. True, I can't leave now." Noah swallowed. "I don't want to. When we returned Saturday night, our eyes met, and then I followed you into the kitchen. We shared a hug. At that moment, I knew I couldn't leave. It felt good knowing somebody cared." He took both her hands in his and leaned in for a kiss but stepped back. "I'm sorry. I need to remain professional. We'd better go inside."

"Noah?"

"Sami, it needs to be this way." He pointed to the house. "Inside."

*****
In the living room, Bob explained the changes to the computer system. "Tomorrow when the techs come, where are we setting up?"

Blowing out air, Noah said, "Good question. Maybe we could section off part of the living room."

Shaking her head, Sarah said, "It's already too small for all of us."

Jose offered, "There's always my cabin."

"Not enough security." Noah walked around the living area. "Sarah, I know the bedroom's small, but would you mind sharing it with a computer?" He chuckled. "I know being a computer geek, Bob wouldn't mind."

Sami slightly raised her hand.

Noah noticed. "Sami, speak your mind. We're brainstorming ideas. There's no right or wrong."

"My room's the largest. I'll move into theirs, and they'll have more room for the computer."

Jose tilted his head. "It's a thought. Thank you, Sami."

Sarah reached over and touched Sami's hand. "Thank you for the offer." She glanced at Noah. "Isn't there some regulation about a person in protective custody needing a certain amount of privacy? Galvin's already questioned the sleeping arrangements."

Nodding Noah said, "There is."

"What if I sign something that says I'm volunteering to do it?" asked Sami.

Squeezing her hand, Sarah said, "We can't. One of the guys might accidently walk in on you or you on them in the bathroom."

Sami replied, "I doubt anybody would be shocked or damaged for life."

Chuckling, Jose said, "I see your point. We've all seen it, but it's a regulation."

"What are we going to do with Sami while the techs are here?" asked Bob. "I doubt we want to risk them knowing she's here."

Noah released a deep breath. "We don't. Sami, I hate to say this but you're going to spend a good portion of the day in your room. Don't worry about lunch. We'll find something to eat."

"What about Jasper?"

"We'll sneak them both out the back door through the kitchen." suggested Sarah. "We'll make sure the techs are in the bedroom."

The movement of agents was discussed, and agreed they'd discuss the changes on Tuesday as previously decided upon.

"That'll work. Anything else?" Nobody had anything else to discuss, so Noah glanced toward the kitchen. "Any snacks in there?"

"I have blueberry muffins and fruit salad left over from the brunch."

Jose stood. "Sounds perfect." He left the area.

*****
When Sami went to her bedroom, Sarah followed and then shut the door. "What happened outside? You've been reserved."

"Nothing."

Sarah studied her. "You know I don't believe that."

"Noah told me that he'd made the decision not to leave Saturday evening, before Chen put the reward out for him."

"Did he say why?"

"He said it felt good knowing somebody cared."

Smiling, Sarah said, "I knew he's falling for you." She studied Sami. "What else?"

"He started to kiss me but stopped and said he needed to remain professional."

"He does. If he kissed you, he'd relieve himself from duty. He shouldn't be in a relationship with a person in protective custody."

"That doesn't make sense. It's okay for him to grope my entire body, slip money deep inside my blouse, ogle my breasts, and force his tongue down my throat all against my will, but it's not okay to give me a sincere kiss. That doesn't make sense."

"That about sums it up. As Trey Morgan, undercover, he can do anything he needs to do to make sure his cover isn't blown, and people are safe. As Noah Taylor, he needs to remain unapproachable."

"There's something wrong with that."

"I agree it doesn't sound right. Once you're released from our protection. You and Noah are free to see where your relationship goes, but not until then."

Sami watched Jasper paw the door and checked the time. "He wants out. Thank you for explaining things. I thought there was something wrong with me."

Laughing Sarah added, "There's nothing wrong with you. It's the system." She studied Jasper. "I think you'd better hurry."

*****
As the women left Sami's bedroom, Noah stepped from his room and pointed at Jasper. "Ready for his walk?"

Outside they walked around the pond, as Noah released a deep breath.

Sami faced him. "Something on your mind?"

He avoided eye contact. "I accidently overheard you and Sarah."

"What?" interrupted Sami before he could continue. "You were listening?"

"Not on purpose."

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"I was embarrassed. I should've explained the almost kiss myself, but I didn't know what to say. Sarah did a good job."

"Were you outside my door?"

"Sound travels through the air vents. We need to watch that. When we go inside, I'll share that information." He stared at the stars. "As long as we're in this situation, I can't have feelings for you."

"I didn't know people have control over their feelings."

"I'm finding that to be true." Noah exhaled. "They do have control over their actions."

"Noah?" When he faced her, she put her hands on his shoulders and kissed him.

"What are you doing? You know I can't return it."

"I know this conversation was difficult for you. I wanted you to know I appreciate it." Sami hesitated. "I didn't expect anything in return."

"Don't make it a habit."

"I'm not planning to."

Noah grinned. "Good." He touched his lips. "I'll admit I enjoyed it and the previous hug."

"Good to know."

They continued walking, before Noah said, "I forgot to address the working out."

*****
Back inside, Noah gathered the team. "I need to mention two things." He pointed at a ceiling air vent. "Earlier I realized voices carry through these vents. If you happen to overhear a conversation, please inform the people talking. I know it's close quarters, but everyone has the right to privacy."

Sarah sighed. "Noah, did you...?"

He nodded. "I did. I've already taken care of what needed to be taken care of." He touched his lips and grinned. "Now for what I forgot to mention. We still have physical fitness tests so we'll need to remain in shape. Workouts need to happen. Jose, make sure a weight set is delivered, free weights will be fine." He glanced at Sami. "And a chin up bar. I think one that fits between door jambs will work."

Jose headed toward the door. "I'm on it, Boss."


~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl who Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#1
April
2024


Thank you, Google Images, for a photograph of a ceiling vent.

Again, today's post is Chapter 10. It's a longer chapter so I broke it in to two sections. This is the second section. It's a short chapter. It only has a little under 1400 words.

I wish just once; I'd be completely happy with what I've written and didn't change something. Do any of you? Or am I strange? As I posted, I made corrections. I hope it works. I appreciate all of your support and the review. THANK YOU!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.