General Fiction posted April 24, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
And the beat goes on

Sounds of Fear

by Lobber


The concert hall was a grand space, with tall, gilded ceilings and velvet seats that filled quickly with an expectant audience.
 
I knew it was going to be a special evening. The orchestra would be performing with soloists from across the country.
 
I was the solo clarinetist, excited and still nervous, as I took my seat on the stage.
 
The evening began well. The orchestra played beautifully, and I joined in, my clarinet adding a soft, smooth timbre to the ensemble. Everything was going perfectly according to plan—until my solo moment arrived.
 
I stood up, ready to play the intricate piece I had been practicing for weeks. But as I looked down at my music stand, my heart sank. There was no sheet music. I had left it backstage in the rush of getting ready. 
 
At first, a wave of panic swept over me. I took a deep breath but the fear remained.
 
I took another deep breath, closed my eyes, and hoped that I could visualize the sheet music in my mind. 
 
I had practiced the piece countless times, but playing it perfectly without the notes in front of me was a challenge I hadn't anticipated. The audience's silence was deafening as they waited for me to begin.
 
Like a robot, I started to play. Without thinking I responded to the imaginary notes on the music in front of me. I began to relax as the first few bars of music flowed smoothly. By magic, I began to lose myself in the music.
 
But as the piece progressed, I stumbled slightly, missing a note here and there. I pushed through, knowing that stopping would only make the situation worse.
 
The Conductor knew I was in trouble and somehow the orchestra sensed I needed help. Together we knew the piece needed our best.
 
The audience seemed unaware of the situation, focusing on the beauty of the music rather than my struggles.
 
When the final note rang out, I lowered my clarinet. The conductor and I were relieved that I made it through the piece.
 
Somehow the audience remained unaware of our struggle. Despite our challenge, the audience was more than pleased to erupt into applause.
 
I smiled, grateful for their support, but vowed never to perform without my sheet music again.
 
The conductor came up to me and gave me a warm handshake. I could tell by his eyes he understood the difficulty of the situation and the challenge for all of us. Still shaking inside, I took my seat.
 
However, I learned a valuable lesson.... that fears can be overcome.



My Worst Fear Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.