Writing Non-Fiction posted April 23, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Cause of too many concussions, in NRL

Injuries, affect players careers

by LittleIrishman

Of all the contact sports in the world, Rugby League, Rugby Union, and Grid Iron would have to be the most physical and dangerous.

Compared to former years, top, elite level sports are now professional, increasing the level of skill and talent, strength and conditioning, power, and endurance.

With such contact sports, any part of a sportsperson's body can become generally or heavily injured.

Almost half and more of training for players in contact sports is physicality, becoming consistently and long-term to take on and receive almost any knock or injury to the body.

This important training must last game-to-game, season-to-season, and up until the end of sportspeople's careers.

Some-to-most players do survive such knocks, injuries, and concussions. But there are a few sportspeople who have season, even career ending problems here.

Certain sportspeople may have injuries from time-to-time, others go through their careers with minimal or hardly any knocks.

Both forwards and backs can obtain these constant injuries.

There is this general dangerous bravado in these contact sports, with an approach to just put up with it and continue on regardless of such knocks and injuries.

There are now more head-knocks, known as Head Injury Assessments (HIAs), currently arising in contact sports more than ever before. Most are accidental, some indirectly or directly on purpose.

Now the head is the like the computer of the body, and if the head is not functioning properly, the rest of the body also does not work properly.

For certain players, once the weakness of concussions gets in, it could very well continue to arise and happen again.

Some players have gone back to former days when players wore padding. Head-gear is the most common here. But certain players may use separate padding like shoulder and forearms, groin/crotch, hips, shins, and ankles.

In fact, there may even be made a complete body player padding out-fit similar to the SKINS lycra suit for swimmers. It would obviously be light, fitting, and strong.

A concussion study was carried out in 2020 on 151 NRL players. About 55.7% of players reported having at least one diagnosed concussion over the past 2 years.

About 17.2% of these players had concussions over the past 2 years, and did not report this to team and medical staff. Some 22% of these players did not report these concussions during 2018 and 2019.

Some examples of National Rugby League (NRL) with reoccurring head knocks and concussions are:
- Dale Finucane, second-row, Cronulla Sharks.
- Ryan Pappenhauzen, fullback/back utility, Melbourne Storm
- Luke Keary, half, Sydney Roosters.
- Christian Welch, forward-prop, Melbourne Storm
- Joseph Manu, back utility, Sydney Roosters
- Victor Radley, forward, Sydney Roosters
- Ryan Matterson, second-row, Parramatta Eels
- Jake Friend, dummy-half, Sydney Roosters
- Boyd Cordner, forward, Sydney Roosters
- Matt Dufty, fullback, St. George Illawarra Dragons
- Adam Reynolds, half, South Sydney Rabbitohs (now with Brisbane Broncos)
- Jaxson Paulo, winger/back utility, South Sydney Rabbitohs (now with Manly Sea-Eagles)

Bibliography
- Bruce, Jasper. (April 23, 2024) 'No decision to make: Concussions end Finucane's career,' Australia Associated Press (AAP)/MSN.com
- Kemp, Emma. (March 23, 2021) 'Hidden Toll on NRL Players in Spotlight After Spate of Head Knocks,' The Guardian
- Longworth, Thomas. et al. (2021) 'Do rugby league players under-report concussion symptoms? A cross-sectional study of elite teams based in Australia,' BMJ Journals/ BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LittleIrishman All rights reserved.
LittleIrishman has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.