General Non-Fiction posted April 12, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Do all politicians lie or do only liars run for office?

Clowns, Dorks and Buffoons

by T B Botts


I voted, but sometimes I wonder why. I understand it's my civic duty, and I really don't have a leg to stand on if  the person in charge does something stupid and I didn't bother to vote. Still, I wonder how much my vote does count. If anyone can vote in an American election, whether a citizen or not, if there is no need to identify the voter at the ballot box, if days before and after the election votes are being counted, does my vote really mean anything? I don't know.
 
 Choosing an elected official should be a privilege of a citizen of this country. I don't go to Mexico or Argentina or China and vote. At least in those places they understand that you can't have people come from around the world to cast a vote. Why is it so difficult to understand the concept here?
 
Then there is the problem with my fellow citizens who are so short sighted that they will allow one issue to dominate their reasons for how they vote. Be the issue abortion, the border, Biden, Trump, crime, inflation, gay rights, transgender rights, cisgender rights, animal rights, good Lord! How about if everyone acts like an adult and looks at the full picture?
 
Almost unanimously we can agree that things are not going well in this country. Everything costs too much, we're so divided politcally that nothing can be accomplished in congress, our children are being bombarded with messages straight out of hell, we can't afford to buy groceries, China is stealing our technology and buying up farmland near military bases and at least half the country doesn't have a thousand dollars in the bank to pay for an unexpected expense. Is this the United States that you grew up in? I sure don't recognize it. 
 
How about if we take the fox out of the henhouse? Asking politicians to voluntarily enforce term limits is like asking a pig to fly. It isn't going to happen. Part of it is our own fault. We all want something for nothing. "Hey congressman, how about a new road? I'd like a museum for one - armed paper hangers in my town, can you do it? I'd really like to see a new park built close to where I live. It's only about $5,000.000.00 - that's pocket change to the government. When are you going to build some more low- income housing? I can't afford the college loan I took out because I discovered that there isn't a market for artists who work in meat balls, would you just forgive it?" 
 
Wake up folks! These politicians stay in office because of us. I say throw the bums out. Demand an end to lobbyists and insist that there is a federal budget that makes sense. The future belongs to our children. We were given a pretty good one. Our children can't say the same anymore.



Recognized


I'm so aggravated by the state of this country. Our military is falling behind China's, our technology is being ripped off, we're being told what we must drive, what we must cook with, how we must heat our homes and we're being forced to fund things like the United Nations, the most useless organization that mankind has ever thought of. We support our enemies and turn our backs on our friends and allies. We're printing money that is losing it's value as fast as it's printed. We've allowed teachers unions to dictate when they will teach and what they will teach our children and God forbid that a parent should have a say in their kids education. Too many young people can't afford to even leave their parent's basement, much less buy a home of their own. The technology companies control so much of our lives, much to the detriment of the whole nation, especially our kids. We have open borders and known terrorists coming in. As the director of the FBI said, it's not a matter of if we're going to have a terrorist attack, its a matter of when. To parrot the actor from the movie, Network -"I"M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. T B Botts All rights reserved.
T B Botts has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.