General Fiction posted April 11, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
music and voice in the night air

Madrigal By Moonlight

by jim vecchio


I played with dance bands all my life. Very low paying dance bands. Bands in the middle of nowhere.

There’s a special feeling you get from playing a gig. You walk outside. Only the darkened sky and the blackened walkway know you’re there. As if you’ve stepped out of the bonds of reality and are living in a shadowy world known only to you, while the ghosts of music echo somewhere from land’s end.

The blues kept creeping up on me and I cried much of the night.

Sometimes, I’d stroll by an old bridge at city’s edge, a remnant from a bygone era that had outlived its time.

 My thoughts turned to her. The things I said, why she left me.

Tonight, as I reached the bridge, I heard a still small voice. I couldn’t tell who or what it was. It mingled with the thoughts in my head.

“Come,” it seemed to say. “Come and join me.”

Trembling, I crept to the center of the bridge and looked down.

One leap, Eternity. Then my soul would be troubled no longer.

Then, I realized it was her. Streaming from her heart.

I would return to her. Beg her forgiveness.




200 Word Flash writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story on any topic. 200 Words Exactly! Title not included in count.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jim vecchio All rights reserved.
jim vecchio has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.