Horror and Thriller Fiction posted March 22, 2024 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The grande finale

A chapter in the book Old McDonald

Final chapter

by Martin Sibley



Background
Dwayne has got the Professor and is about to dissect him. Tanya is on her way to the Professor's.
"Oh, no you don't."

He gripped her tight. Tanya wriggled herself free and actually made it to the door before he grasped her again. This time, Tanya slammed her knee into his groin. Dwayne doubled up with pain. Tanya shoved him out of the way, clearing the way to the front door, which she unlocked. Freedom! She ran out of the house, saw the Officer's patrol car, and ran to it.

"It's Dwayne. He's the dissector. He did them all."

"Right. Get into the car and stay put. I'll tackle him."

So saying, the Officer left the car, drew his gun, and went up to the front door. Dwayne had locked it. The officer went back to his car, got a battering ram, and forced the door open.

"Police!"

No reply. He called for back-up and searched the house. He noted the back door was open, so it looked as if Lee had escaped. Tanya was watching the house from the rear of the patrol car. Thinking, she ran through the sequence of events.

'I had invited myself over; Dwayne had confessed to being the dissector; a human would be the last dissection; it was to be me simply because I was there; the original target was...the Professor!'

"Officer! Officer!"

Tanya yelled at the top of her voice. The back of the car had a grille, and the doors locked automatically. All she could do was yell. Eventually the Officer emerged from the house and walked to his car. He noticed Tanya was waving and yelling, and so he opened a rear door.

"What is it?"

"He's going after the Professor! He was his original target. We must get there as soon as we can."

Dwayne had been busy in the meantime. After recovering from the knee to the groin, he picked up his knives and dissection kit, grabbed his phone, and escaped using the back door. He walked a few houses down the road and then called an Uber. He paid using his phone and gave the Professor's address.

Sergeant Garcia was watching Professor Stone's house and failed to see Dwayne coming up behind him, knife in hand. The Sergeant had the window wound down to get fresh air. Dwayne reached inside the car and slit the Sergeant's throat. Then, using his dissection kit, he skinned the Sergeant's face and put it over his own. He took the Sergeant's gun and put it in his waistband.

'An excellent job, if I say so myself.'

He then wore the Sergeant's badge and cap, went up to the house, and pressed the doorbell with his knives and dissection kit in his left hand. He put his face to the spyhole, holding the face and the badge alternating where the Professor could see it.

"Who is it?" came the voice of the Professor inside as he peered through the spyhole.

"Sergeant Garcia," came the reply. Dwayne disguised his voice. "We got him."

There was the sound of a key in the lock. This was the moment Dwayne had been waiting for. As soon as he was able, he shoved his foot in the gap between the door and the door frame and pushed the opening door with all his might. This caught the Professor off guard. This was unusual behaviour for the Sergeant. When Dwayne got inside, he locked the door, removed the face and brandished the gun.

"You. It was you who did the dissections. I remember you. It's Dwayne Lee, isn't it?"

"Yes Professor. You interviewed me and told me my dissection skills let me down and I would fail in the final year. Well, I think I have shown you my skills are worthy of an A+ now."

"Yes, the cow is worthy of an A+. It was a very difficult dissection."

"Now, Professor. I have done so many that I have a day to spare. We are here now. What do you think? A frog; a mouse; a rat; a guinea pig; a rabbit; a cat; a dog; a sheep; a pig; a cow; the birds; a Professor. How about it?"

"You're mad. Put the gun down and stop it now."

"I'm perfectly sane. Now, into the kitchen."

Dwayne ushered the Professor into the kitchen where he unpacked his knives and dissection kit. They heard a siren in the distance. This seemed to galvanise Dwayne, who picked up a large knife.

"Now, Professor. Smile, please."

Dwayne moved to bring the knife to the Professor's throat as there was the sound of a crash from the front door. He whirled round and fired his gun at the Police Officer who fell to the ground. In the car, Tanya had heard the gunshot and broke the glass in the back door of the car. She climbed out and ran up to the front of the house. She noted the police officer lying on the ground and heard Dwayne's voice coming from the kitchen. She saw the Sergeant's face on the floor and figured out how Dwayne had entered the house.

"Anaesthetic? Tough. We don't have..."

Tanya launched a kick at Dwayne's back. Whether she broke it was insignificant. The fact was, Tanya had incapacitated Dwayne. The Professor was safe. It was over. This time Tanya did not let go of the Professor when she hugged him. She made the Professor call his wife and then 911 emergency.

"Hello 911. What is the nature of your emergency?"

"This is Professor Stuart Stone. I'd like to report the death of two police officers and the incapacitation of a murder suspect."

"Right Professor. Touch nothing. Stay right where you are. Help is on its way."

A week later and the Professor and Suzy were at the rescue dog kennels picking out a new dog.




This is the last chapter. I hope you enjoyed the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Martin Sibley All rights reserved.
Martin Sibley has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.