Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted March 16, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Two teenagers go through our fence

Beware the Youth

by Aussie


Today, youth crime is on the increase and the police don't seem to be able to catch these thieving teenagers. When they do, they are put in a detention cell and within days, set free.

Around eleven o'clock last night, as I was preparing for bed, there was an almighty crash next door. My dog Benny was barking his head off. I crept towards the fence in my power chair only to see a car up against my neighbor's tree, the car had taken out around twenty feet of his side fence.
There was an attempt to open my front door. They couldn't get in because I had a deadlock. Wheelchair people are more vulnerable, we can't run away. These teenagers running wild, stealing cars and I might add stabbing people. I digress.

So, Steve, my neighbor related what happened and why the brand-new MG car was lodged against his tree.
These youths broke into a house where a single mum and new baby resided. They snatched the house/car keys and then taunted her by driving up and down in front of her house.

What they didn't know was the local mechanic was watching them. He jumped into his tow truck and gave chase.

Skidding around the street with the angry mechanic on their tail. He decided to hit the MG up the backside to slow them down. Instead of slowing them, he pushed the car towards my neighbor's fence.

The teens crashed through Steve's fence and ended up wrapped around his tree. Luckily no one was hurt. When the car stopped, they bolted and were caught by the mechanic; Steve grabbed the driver (a fifteen-year-old girl.) And the mechanic grabbed her brother.


The Police arrived almost straight away. The kids were charged and promptly put inside the Paddy Wagon. The mechanic was charged with dangerous driving! The poor fellow was only trying to stop them.

The parents of the young mother arrived shortly after to inspect the car they had bought for their daughter. The mother burst into tears. She was assured by the police the car would be replaced by insurance.

These teenagers know they don't face jail sentences, their age prohibits putting them in with dangerous criminals. Our police are fed up with stealing and in some cases, stabbing folks for no reason.

Well, insurance will cover Steve's fence and the new MG but nothing assures us that it won't happen again. Moral is low in our City. Oldies are too scared to venture out at night. I'm adding a footnote because I think it is relevant.

Last year, a thirteen-year-old boy driving a Mercedes drove into the back of a nurse who was coming home from her shift at the local hospital. His speed flipped her vehicle to the wrong side of the road. Her car rolled over the oncoming car and killed two women. The nurse was already dead. After twelve months in detention, he is home here. No, I won't go out at night.






Nonfiction Writing Contest contest entry


Contest for True Story. This happened on the night of the 14th.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.