General Non-Fiction posted March 6, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A memory form my younger yesrs

The Big Oak Tree

by Karen Dougherty Estep

I Remember Contest Winner 
I remember it as though it were yesterday. Even though it was many years ago. My dad came home from the hospital and annonced that my mother was gone. At first, my teenager thought was, "gone where?," but I did not speak that aloud. I guess I knew. The problem was that my father hugged us (my sister. brother and I) and retreated to his room. My brother and sister followed suit and went to their
rooms. I didnt want to go to my room; that felt like punishment to me.  Instead. I gazed out the back sliding doors at the bayou. I walked outside and found my favorite tree, the old oak that grew near the water. There were so many emotions happening. Panic, sorrow, fear and pain were churning inside of me.  I went and sat in the natural seat formed in the trunk of the old oak. It enveloped me as if it were wrapping its arms around me. 
     
I gained a certained independence that day. It was not one I asked for, but perhaps it was given to me for a reason.  That tree, that big oak tree gave me strength that reached beyond its' roots, and a purpose, for a reason.


Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.

I Remember
Contest Winner


True story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Karen Dougherty Estep All rights reserved.
Karen Dougherty Estep has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.