General Fiction posted March 6, 2024 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
unforgettable...

A chapter in the book Life, Death, Up, Down

With Kit And Bill On Memory Lane

by jim vecchio


“Listen, Kit, you’re a top notch Injun scout! Everyone knows that!”
“What’re you getting at, Bill?”
“Well, have you ever in your life met an Injun with a lick of sense?”
“Let me tell you, Bill. The wisest, most smartest man of all I ever met was an Injun.”
“How so?”

“Well, y’see, Bill, ‘twas in the April of ’86. I rode into the Arapaho camp, just’a thirstin’ for water.”
“What happened then?”
“Their chief greeted me. He said, “Got plenty of water for you” afore I could say a word.”
“How’d he know?”
“Well, I wondered myself, so I asked him. He said, “You seem confused, lightheaded, somewhat dizzy. All signs of dehydration.”
“An Indian Chief actually said all that?”
“All that and aplenty more! I was invited to rest there a few days and the things what I seen were plumb amazin’!”
“Tell me ‘bout some of them, Kit!”
“Well, one day, I seen a redskin walk up to him. Before he could open his mouth, the Chief said, “Take three leaves of the Ongawa plant. Boil water, stir in the leaves, and make a poultice.”
“Gee willikers! What’d he tell him that for?”
“Well, Bill, I found out seven years earlier, the same redskin had a terrible infection and the Chief recognized him, though he only seen him that onced.”
“Were that the onliest thing you seen him do?”
“Oh, no! There werst so many, I kin hardly know whar to begin!”
“Tell me some more!”
“One day, an Injun by the name of Dyami came into camp. I found out later he had only met the chief once in his life, when he was a young’n. His family moved to a location fur west.”
“Then what happened?”

“Well, the Chief, he not only called him by his name, but asked about his fathers and forefathers, Ahtahkakoop, Elan, Ciquala, a whole mess o’them, I tell ya!”

“He remembered them all?”
“Them, and a whole lot more! And there were dozens o’times just like that, I promise!”
“Say, Kit, whatever happened to that old chief?”
“I purely don’t know, Bill! One day, I asked him about how he growed that memory of his.”
“What’d he say, Kit?”
“Well, he told me ‘twas his diet. He said he always started off with a mess o’ eggs.”
“And…?”
“Well, just at that point, the calvary rode in, a’thinkin’ I were captive, and they tore me away.”
“Gee, Kit, do you think we could go visit that chief? I’d like to see for myself!”

“Well, Bill, ‘tis been a long, hard ride, but now, I’ll show you the chief. I’ll make sure I greet him, friendly-like!”

“How!”
“Scrambled!”





 




Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jim vecchio All rights reserved.
jim vecchio has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.