General Fiction posted March 2, 2024 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When generations clash, sparks fly!

A chapter in the book Life's Twisted Road

Life's Twisted Road - The End

by Begin Again




Background
A time when the nuclei of three generations unraveled, exploded, and tragically, changed their lives forever.
END OF CHAPTER 32
"She's old and set in her ways. I've warned her about those rugs. She probably tripped over something. Nobody thinks it was your fault, sweetie."

"I guess I was afraid someone might blame me since I was here."

"You found her and hopefully, saved her life. No matter what happens, it's not your fault. Anyone who says it was, well, they can go to hell."

"Thanks, Mom." The teenager sighed, relieved she'd locked her mother into her corner. "Love you."

"I love you, too. Now, I've got to get to the hospital and see what's going on with your grandmother."

Natasha disconnected the call. She stared out the window for a moment before whispering under her breath, "Stupid old lady should have minded her own business."
*****

CHAPTER 33 THE END

The giant oak trees swayed as an evening breeze rattled their branches. The hundred-year-old frame house creaked and moaned. Inside, Natasha stretched out on her bed, listening to music, content to be alone. Fears about her grandmother had somehow dissolved as the ambulance drove away. Becky had gone home. Ava was at the hospital. All was right in her world.

A familiar voice called out, "Natasha."

Not sure if she had imagined it, the teenager turned down the music and listened. For a moment, the house was silent.

The voice spoke again. "Natasha."

A chill raced down Natasha's spine. Wide-eyed, she bolted to an upright position, turned on the light, and looked around. "Becky, if that's you, it's not funny. You know I don't do scary movies."

The voice was calm but determined. "Natasha, I need to talk to you. We've unfinished business."

"Stop it, Becky." She threw her legs over the edge of the bed and jumped up, rushing to check the hallway. "Come out wherever you are. Or better yet, go home!"

"It's not Becky, sweetheart. And I'm not going anywhere, just yet." Isabella stepped into the light. "It's me - your grandmother. I need to talk to you."

Natasha stared at the figure. Her face paled as she questioned what was happening. "Grandma - but how?" She shivered as her eyes darted around the room. "I thought -you're at the hospital with Mom. Did they send you home already?"

"No." Isabella sighed. Her eyes were dull and lifeless. "I'm in a coma at the hospital." She stepped closer.

Natasha gulped, shaking her head, mentally denying what she was seeing. "How - She rubbed her eyes. "Am I cracking up?" She choked back the bile in her throat. "How can I be awake and still be having a nightmare?" She collapsed in the chair, rubbing her eyes to make the vision disappear. "You can't be real. You can't be here and at the hospital."

"Yet here I am." Isabella reached out her frail hand, but Natasha backed away.

"No, this isn't happening." She pinched her arm and flinched. "Ouch!"

"I have little time, so you need to listen to me."

The young teenager covered her ears, shouting, "No, go away. I don't believe in ghosts or spirits or whatever you are. This can't be happening."

"It is happening, Nat. I'm your grandmother and I'm not here to hurt you."

"Then go away! I mean it, or I'll make you go away."

As the words escaped the teenager's lips, she rushed forward, her arms outstretched toward Isabella, but no one was there. She spun around in terror. "I don't know how you are doing this, but stop."

Isabella spoke, but she was on the opposite side of the room this time. "My time is short. Your lies are catching up with you. Either tell the truth or - ?"

Natasha snapped, "Don't you ever listen? I told you I can't."

"You can and you must. You can't continue to hurt the people you love." Isabella moved closer and pressed a simple cross into her granddaughter's hand. "The cross is a symbol of love, but more importantly, it's His love for you."

"His love?" Natasha scoffed. "Right!"

"It's God's love, Nat. This is your last chance - ?"

Before Isabella finished her sentence, Nat heard sirens outside. Red and blue lights flashed against the house. She moved to the window, pushing the curtains aside. "There are squad cars out front. Did you - "

"Call the police? No, Nat. Like I told you, I'm lying in a hospital bed in a coma. Your mother is pacing the room, wondering how she'll make all this go away."

For once, Natasha was speechless. The ringing of her cell phone startled her.

Sadly, Isabella gazed one last time at her granddaughter, murmuring, "Maybe you should answer it. It could be important."

As Nat answered, she looked back toward her grandmother, but the room was empty. Isabella was gone.

*****

Becky was frantic. At Nat's hello, she screeched into the phone, "Have you looked outside? There are cops everywhere. Mr. Clayborn found Juan in his backyard." Becky gulped and fought to catch her breath. "Someone shot him," she said to Nat, her voice filled with panic. "He's dead."

"Murdered? No, it can't be." Natasha shivered as she remembered the beating. "Oh God, Beck, do you think it was Big Frank?"

"Who else? His guy threatened us, too, remember? Nat, are we next? He knows where I live."

Nat glanced around the room, hoping Isabella had returned. Maybe this had all been a terrible nightmare and she could make it all go away. But Isabella was gone. Nat's skin felt icy. Fear replaced her cockiness. "I don't know. I don't know what to think right now."

"If Clayborn tells the police that he saw us leaving Juan's house, they might blame us. We didn't kill anyone, Nat, but how do we prove it?"

"I don't know, Beck."

*****

Officer Lakewood was finishing her reports when several squad cars arrived on Isabella's block. Her radio squawked as the dispatcher directed different units to investigate, and that the coroner was in route. Jackson's car pulled in behind hers. They both exited their vehicles and met in the street.

"Lucille, I thought you were off duty. Did someone tell you to respond to this call?"

"The body?" She shook her head and pointed toward Isabella's house. "I was the officer responding to the ambulance call. They just left, and I was writing my report when all hell broke loose."

"Ambulance? I'm confused. Did something happen to Isabella? Did she have a heart attack?"

"No, she took a nasty fall. She hit her head on the dresser. She wasn't conscious when they carried her out. From the mixed stories I got from those girls, I'd say they are up to their necks. They know more than what they will share with me."

Jackson frowned. "Like what?"

"I hate to point fingers, boss, especially when I don't have all the answers yet."

"You're not accusing anyone, Lucille, but your gut instinct is usually better than most. Tell me what you think."

"The two girls said it was an accident, and they found her on the floor. Broken trinkets and picture frames were scattered around the room, with glass everywhere. Not to mention, it looked like the grandmother had some bruising on her arms." Lucille glanced at the house before looking at Jackson. "Perhaps someone forcefully shoved her."

"Damn shame! Isabella's granddaughter has a temper, and your theory sounds workable. Why don't you corral the two girls while I check with the team across the street? If they've got it under control, I'll have a chat with the girls."

*****

Thirty minutes later, Jackson and Officer Lakewood found themselves in Isabella's front yard with two highly nervous girls.

"Is Juan dead?" "Do they know what happened?" Was it over drugs?" A flurry of questions tumbled out of their mouths.

Jackson stared at the two girls, evaluating the situation. "Your neighbor found a deceased person in his backyard. It's under investigation, and I can't discuss that with you right now." Putting on his official on-duty face, he continued, "If you have any valuable information concerning your friend, we'll discuss it later. But right now, I need to clear up what happened in this house tonight."

"Here?" Becky looked confused. "With Isabella? We already told Officer Lakewood that she fell. We found her on the floor. Well, Nat found her first and screamed. I ran inside and joined her."

"Officer Lakewood has read your statements about Isabella to you. Do you need to hear them again? If not, do you both agree that's how it happened?"

Becky and Natasha nodded, though their attitudes were subdued.

Jackson turned to Natasha. "This is your last chance to get the story right." He paused and then threw an invisible gauntlet at Natasha, hoping to catch her off guard. "Did you physically shove your grandmother?"


Before Nat could speak, Becky interjected, "We told you. We were outside. Nat went in and found her grandmother. She screamed and I rushed inside. She was lying on the floor. Nat called 911."


Jackson nodded. "That's your story. Now, I'd like to hear it from Natasha."

The teenager looked from Becky to Jackson. Her fingers caressed the cross in her hand. As she opened her mouth to speak, a flurry of prickly nerves ran up her arm, away from the cross to her heart. She could hear Isabella's words ringing in her ears. "You've got to tell the truth."

Natasha stared at the ground, motionless except for her fingers rubbing the cross in her hand.

Jackson broke the silence. "Yes, or no? Is that your story, Nat? Your grandmother fell, and you found her lying there unconscious?"

A tear fell from her eye and then another until a steady stream covered her face. She couldn't bring herself to look the sheriff in the eye as she stammered, "Every - thing's been - a lie." She gulped hard. "I'll - tell you - the truth - about my grandmother - and my father." She took in a deep breath, sobbing, "I'll even tell you what I know about Juan, the drugs, and Big Frank."

Lucille frowned, "Big Frank?"

The name meant nothing to Jackson, either, but something told him he needed to let the girl talk. He wasn't sure how Juan's murder case had anything to do with Isabella, but stranger things had happened on his watch. "Okay, the floor's yours."

"But there's one condition." Natasha sniffled and forced herself to look directly into the sheriff's eyes.

"I'm listening."

"I'll tell you every detail about it all, but I need to see my grandmother first. Take me to the hospital. I'm begging you."

Jackson pondered the notion and then nodded, agreeing. "It's a deal. I'll give you five minutes with Isabella if the doctor allows it, but then you and I will sit down for a talk. No lies! Agreed?"

Becky stood with her eyes closed but didn't utter a single word. She knew Natasha was going to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Their lives were about to make a drastic change. There wouldn't be any way out this time.

Natasha answered. "Agreed."

"Becky, I'm afraid you'll have to come along with us, too." Jackson turned to Lucille. "Maybe Jones can give her a ride to headquarters while we stop at the hospital."

*****


The officer exited the elevator with Natasha at her side. Jackson followed steps behind. Her heart was pounding violently against her chest. The vision of Isabella kept playing over and over in her head. She could hear her grandmother's voice. "It's your last chance before it's too late."

Nat whispered, "I hope you'll forgive me."

As they approached Isabella's room, Layla, the nurse on duty, was leaving. She pulled the door closed, surveying the group, ending with Jackson. She shook her head. "You can't go in there."

Natasha's eyes shot wildly to Jackson. "I have to - "

"It's okay, Layla. It's her grandmother."

Sadness filled Layla's eyes. She reached out for Nat's hand. "I'm sorry, Honey. Your grandmother is gone."

Bewildered, Nat cried, "Gone? Gone where?"

Layla's eyes darted to her brother and then to Natasha. "She passed away about five minutes ago. Her daughter is in there with her now."

Blood-curdling screams echoed through the corridor as Natasha's legs crumbled and she sank to the floor. "Nooooooo! She can't be dead. I have to tell her I'm sorry."

Hearing her daughter's cries, Ava raced to the door, kneeling to wrap her arms around her daughter. Doing her best to comfort her daughter, she said, "It's okay, Nat. She led a good life. She was old and things happen. It's not your fault."


Nat lifted her head, wiped away her tears, and looked into her mother's dry eyes. Suddenly, everything was clear. "It is my fault, Mom. And it's yours, too. She just wanted to love us and be a family, but we wouldn't let her."

This was a part of the job Jackson despised. He knew there wouldn't be a good time, so he joined Nat and Ava, standing above them. "I'm sorry about Isabella. She was a kind woman. Natasha, I kept my end of the bargain. Now it's your turn." He helped her from the floor while telling Ava, "I'm going to have to take Natasha down to headquarters."

Natasha's face was tear-stained as she stared at her mom. "I'm sorry about Grandma, but I've got to go with them now."

She allowed Officer Lakewood to lead her away while Ava screamed, tugging on Jackson's arm, "Noooo, it's a mistake. You can't take my baby."

Jackson hugged his distraught friend. "I'm sorry, but she's got a lot to answer for, Ava, including the death of her grandmother."

Ava couldn't tear her eyes from Natasha's back until she disappeared into the elevator.

*****

Surrounded by a sea of fluffy, white clouds, Isabella felt a sense of tranquility. The sound of gentle waves splashing against the shore and a calming breeze carrying a faint smell of salty air reminded her of James and all the love they shared in their happy place.

Somewhere in the distance, a song drifted amongst the clouds. The choir's sweet words floated until they reached Isabella's ears. Their melodious sound flooded her thoughts with memories of days gone by; wonderful days of singing in the church choir and praising the Lord. Days filled with joy and family gatherings.

Finally at peace, Isabella's eyes fluttered open, and she found herself in the arms of the man she'd loved for a long, long time. Her heart was overflowing with joy.

James kissed her cheek, brushing a stray hair from her angelic face. "Welcome home, Gorgeous."

She smiled and whispered, "James, is it really you?"

"Yes, my love. I've been waiting patiently at these gates for you. We all have."

Isabella's eyes traveled from person to person. Her heart overflowed with joy as she saw everyone she loved and lost smiling at her. The moment was perfect.

James's finger tilted her chin upward as he gazed into her eyes, repeating the words he'd once said to her every morning and night. "Have I told you how much I love you?"

Isabella pressed her head against his shoulder and sighed. "Not for a very long time."

Her husband chuckled. "Prepare yourself to hear it every day throughout eternity, my love."

Arm in arm, they walked into the fabulous home God had prepared for them. Isabella's family welcomed her with open arms, knowing she was finally blessed.


*****


Epilogue:

Regardless of Natasha's admission of lying, the DCFS pressed charges against Nat's father. She presented her decision to the grand jury. He had to hire a lawyer for $8000, which was money the family did not have. Months of lies, pain, and accusations destroyed the foundation of Nat's family.

The school produced records and videos showing Natasha breaking many rules, including smoking in the bathroom and lying about a group of girls jumping her after class. The records indicated that she and Becky had vapes in their possession, which were stolen from Becky's dad's pharmacy.


During the DCFS Officer's testimony under oath, she faced questions about why her records contradicted the evidence. She responded by saying the detective on the case had verified all the accusations and agreed she should proceed with charges. She admitted the case had earned her a promotion.


Detective Panara swore under oath and produced 873 pages of reports, affidavits, and miscellaneous information proving that Natasha's father was innocent and the charges were false. He also stated that he had given a copy of his records to DCFS and told them that the police department would close the case. Regardless, DCFS decided to proceed. The case was submitted and declared unfounded.

At this time, Natasha's life has returned to normal for her. Her habit of lying has slowly returned and her mother, Ava, continues to cater to her. Due to problems, she has changed schools three times. The father goes to work, comes home, and hangs out in his two-car garage. He lost what once was his happy home, regardless of the verdict. He refuses to talk to anyone about it.


As for Isabella .......

The story is fictional, but as many of you have guessed, unfortunately, versions of the lies and the characters are true. The grandmother has been cut-off from the family (a death of its own) but has found peace in her writing.


Personally, I want to thank everyone who has continued to follow the story and left so many touching and thoughtful reviews. I can't tell you how much this has meant to me. Also, I owe a very special thank you to a few who have offered their encouragement and support before and after I returned to FS. Without dear friends like Karenina, Sandra, lyenochka, Barbara, Beth, Carol, Ric, Wendy, LJbutterfly, and so many others, I doubt that I would have found the strength to return to my passion â?" writing so others might enjoy my efforts. Once again, I've found a reason to Begin Again.


Thank you and may you have a blessed day!

Smiles, hugs and love to all, Carol


HOPE TO SEE YOU IN MY NEXT ENDEAVOR....

Writing "Living on the Edge" for the Book in a Month contest.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


ISABELLA - Natasha's grandmother
AVA - Isabella's daughter and Natasha's mother
DION - Star quarterback and Jason's best friend
JASON - Dion's best friend and teammate
COACH - the high school football coach and team counselor
GABBY - Jason's girlfriend and best friends with Natasha and Becky
BOBBY - Gabby's father
AUDREY - Bobby's sister and Gabby's Aunt
JUDY -THE BLONDE - Bobby's drinking date for the day
PADDY -THE JOGGER - A nice older Irish gentleman
AMANDA - Paddy's wife
LUCILLE LAKEWOOD - one of the arresting officers
OFFICER T. JONES - new officer on the force
CHARLIE - Department Manager for the Sheriff
JACKSON - the sheriff and the man dating Bobby's sister, Audrey
JUAN - Local pool boy and behind-the-scenes drug supplier
AUSTIN - semi driver and owner of Roscoe
ROSCOE - Austin's co-pilot, a German Shepherd
AL - a firefighter at the scene
TAYLOR - a town resident and mail carrier
ALEJANDRO - a local farmer
LAYLA - a registered nurse and Jackson's sister
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.