General Fiction posted March 1, 2024 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When push comes to shove....

A chapter in the book Life's Twisted Road

Life's Twisted Road - Chap 31

by Begin Again




Background
A time when the nuclei of three generations unraveled, exploded, and tragically, changed their lives forever.
END OF CHAPTER 30

"My friend in Chicago said they'll investigate and do a lot of paperwork, but sooner or later it will all disappear."

"I don't know, Nat. I hope you're right."

"I am. For now, we can use this to our advantage. My mom wants to make me happy, so I'll get anything I want. And no one is any wiser about Juan, the parties, or anything. We're in the clear."

"I don't want to be a part of this. I'm sorry. You're my best friend but this is way over the top." Struggling with her friend's outrageous plan, Becky moved to the doorway. "Listen, I can't stay. Jeremy is coming over, but I'll be back in the morning. Hopefully, by then you'll have come to your senses."

"That's not happening. If I admit to this, my life is toast. I've got to stick to the story and let it play out, which it will. Trust me!"

Time to retreat! Isabella eased her aching knees to a standing position. She shoved the box into the closet, praying she wouldn't be seen by the teenagers. Her arthritic joints screamed in revolt, but she ignored the pain and hobbled to the safety of her bedroom. Her granddaughter's ugly confession felt like a drum beating inside her mind. She had to do something, but what?




*****

CHAPTER 31

"Hey, Sheriff, isn't that pretty lady over there, the same girl I saw hanging on your arm a week or two ago? She looks kind of lonely."

Jackson and Officer Jones had stopped for coffee and a pastry, not realizing how close it was to lunchtime. Chuck's Diner was buzzing with customers. Jackson scanned the room until his eyes focused on Audrey. He hadn't seen her since their argument. His eyes spoke volumes as he smiled, suddenly realizing how much he'd missed her.

Unsure of where he stood with Audrey, he hesitated about speaking to her. He simply nodded. "Good eye! She's probably meeting someone."

"You're not going to keep a girl that way, boss. Go over there and say hello. I'll get us some lunch and meet you outside."

Sensing Jackson's hesitation, the junior officer gave him a poke in the side. "Cat got your tongue? Go!" A couple seated at a table overheard their exchange and chuckled.

Jackson scowled and shot Jones a look, who responded with a mischievous smile and a shrug. Audrey looked up from her table and her eyes met his. Decision made. He wound his way through the tables toward her.

Nerves weren't a customary characteristic for Jackson. He felt off-center as he spoke. "Hi, Audrey. Good to see you." He grinned. "It's mighty busy in here today."

Audrey sensed his discomfort but wasn't ready to let him off the hook. She teased, "It's lunchtime. People do eat around this time."

"Yeah, makes sense." He grinned sheepishly. "Kind of stupid on my part."

Audrey looked into Jackson's eyes, hoping to see the same love they'd share. "Sometimes we say stupid things like I did when we aren't thinking straight." Afraid it was too much, she added, "It's nice to see you, Jackson. How are you?"

"I'm good. The department's been busy." Jackson shifted his position and checked on his officer's progress in the line.

Audrey didn't want to lose him just yet, so she questioned, "Investigating the crash?" She paused and then added, "Gabby told me what Bobby did. It's hard to believe he'd do something so horrible. Guess the alcohol was controlling him. I'm glad that Dion is innocent, especially since Gabby seems to be attracted to him."

"Maybe in time, something will come of it. She's got to take one step at a time with a baby coming."

"I couldn't believe it when she told me Dion was fine with her being pregnant and insisted on helping her. It's got to be difficult for both of them since Jason is refusing to step up."

"She's better off without Jason. He's a jock, focused on football, not a family."

"I didn't want to believe my brother was so angry." Audrey paused and studied her hands for a moment before continuing, "Guess we all say or do things we regret. Bobby struck out at Dion and in my own way, I wanted everyone to pay for his death, even you. I'm sorry about that."

"Grief makes us do strange things. You were hurting. Not to mention everything else that was coming down on you."

Her voice was soft, barely above a whisper, "I've missed you, Jackson. Can you forgive me?"

"I already have." He bent and softly kissed her cheek. "I missed you too."

"I've got some steaks in the refrigerator. And I could make those garlic potatoes you like." She smiled at him, secretly crossing her fingers.

He returned her smile. "I could bring some wine. A bottle of your favorite."

"That sounds perfect." A tinge of pink colored her cheeks.

"See you around seven tonight then, if that works for you."

"I can't wait. I missed you a lot, Jackson."

"Me, too — I'm sorry —I gotta go. My officer's waiting outside."

She stared at Jackson's back as he walked away. She could feel butterflies fluttering inside her stomach. She needed to get home and plan a special night, one they'd both remember. She now knew Jackson would help her and things would work out in time.

*****

Natasha stood at the entrance to her grandmother's bedroom. As far as the teenager was concerned, she'd pulled the wool over all the adult eyes. She'd managed to fool them with her hoax. Now, she needed to get out of this house. Becky was tied up with Jeremy, but maybe Juan was at the pool house.

"Gram, are you asleep?" She hoped for no response, and quickly added, "I'm going for a walk. See you later."

Isabella placed her wedding picture on the table, inhaled deeply, and called to the teenager, "Natasha, wait, you need to stay in the house." Expecting a swift rebuttal, she paused and then added,  "I believe the papers said you were not to leave unless accompanied by an adult."

Natasha puffed out her cheeks in disgust. "What idiot made that decision? I've been going places since I was seven or eight without an adult. I'm not in jail and I certainly don't need you or anyone else holding my hand."

"I'm sorry, Nat. I didn't make the rules. If you want, we can call your mom and ask her if you can go."

"I'm not calling anyone. It's my life, not yours." Natasha's temper was escalating. She needed a plan, a way out. Did this old lady think she could stop her from leaving? Instantly, she hatched her exit strategy. Isabella didn't like confrontation, so she needed to start a fight. A blowout would change the hag's mind.

Nat stepped into the room and executed her plan.  She needed to be rude and obnoxious. "Listen, we're talking about my life. I know you don't think my dad did this to me, but I can tell Mom does. You always say you're here for us, but it's all a lie, isn't it? You don't care about me."

"I care more than you will ever know, that's why I can't let you continue with these lies. It's got to stop before people are hurt."

Nat snarled, "People — what about me? I'm the one hurt."

Isabella moved closer to her granddaughter, carefully choosing her words. "Nat, it's time to stop this charade."

Anger sparked in Natasha's eyes. "Charade? What the hell are you talking about, stupid bitch? I think you're going senile."

Isabella ignored Nat's outburst as she chose her next words. "I was in the hallway. I'm afraid I heard what you told Becky."

Natasha's eyes went dark as she spat in her grandmother's face. "You were spying on us?"

"I'm not sorry, but this isn't a game. You admitted to Becky that it was all a lie. Your father is innocent, and you are going to destroy him. What can you gain? Why would you do this?"

"You wouldn't understand. It will be just Mom and me. We can do things without checking with him first or listening to him say we can't afford it. I can do what I want because Mom will let me. Life will be so much better." She chuckled. "Maybe Mom will be so pissed off at you that we can get rid of you too. No more listening to you. How's that sound?"

"You think this is fun, but you aren't thinking straight. Your lies will destroy your family. Let me call your mom and the two of you can tell the police and DCFS the truth."

"No!" Natasha screamed at Isabella. "You stupid ole hag. I'm not telling them anything and neither are you."

"Nat, you're young. You've got plenty of time to experience all the things you want in life. Don't do this."

"You don't care if I'm happy. Always telling Mom to rein me in, to stop letting me do things. Well, it's not going to happen. You're going to keep your mouth shut, if you know what's good for you, bitch."

"Natasha — I'm your grandmother. Are you threatening me?" Tears formed in Isabella's eyes. "I love you. You don't want this lie hanging over your head. You'll never forgive yourself. I just want to help."

"No, I'm not stupid. You want to prevent me from being young and enjoying life. I can't help you're old and your life's over. Mine isn't!"

You're wrong!" Isabella opened her arms and reached to hug her granddaughter. "I love you."

Natasha grabbed Isabella's arms and squeezed. "Get away from me." She gave her grandmother a violent shove, snarling, "Why don't you do me a favor and die?"

Unable to catch herself, Isabella stumbled backward, falling and slamming her head against the large wooden dresser.

She lay motionless on the bedroom floor.

*****

Natasha paced the floor, knocking her grandmother's treasures to the floor as she continued to berate her, "Don't you die, you ugly old bitch. You hear me? I'm not taking the blame for this. You're the one — always meddling in someone else's business."

She pounded her fist against the wall, knocking one of the many family photos off its hook. It clattered to the floor, shattering the glass. "Great! Now I'll have to listen to you moan and groan about respecting our ancestors. When will you learn nobody cares? They're dead!"

Bitterness dripped from her mouth, yet a lone tear glistened from the corner of her eye. She picked up one of Isabella's crocheted blankets and tossed it across her grandmother's legs. "Wake up, Grandma, please wake up!"



Recognized


ISABELLA - Natasha's grandmother
AVA - Isabella's daughter and Natasha's mother
DION - Star quarterback and Jason's best friend
JASON - Dion's best friend and teammate
COACH - the high school football coach and team counselor
GABBY - Jason's girlfriend and best friends with Natasha and Becky
BOBBY - Gabby's father
AUDREY - Bobby's sister and Gabby's Aunt
JUDY -THE BLONDE - Bobby's drinking date for the day
PADDY -THE JOGGER - A nice older Irish gentleman
AMANDA - Paddy's wife
LUCILLE LAKEWOOD - one of the arresting officers
OFFICER T. JONES - new officer on the force
CHARLIE - Department Manager for the Sheriff
JACKSON - the sheriff and the man dating Bobby's sister, Audrey
JUAN - Local pool boy and behind the scenes drug supplier
AUSTIN - semi driver and owner of Roscoe
ROSCOE - Austin's co-pilot, a German Shepherd
AL - a firefighter at the scene
TAYLOR - a town resident and mail carrier
ALEJANDRO - a local farmer
LAYLA - a registered nurse and Jackson's sister
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.