Humor Poetry posted February 28, 2024


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Wisdom through Humor

Ode to Will Rogers

by John Cranford


His humor was wise
He stripped away their disguise
And laughed at their lies

 



Ode 5-7-5 writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a an ode poem using the 5-7-5 syllable count.


Will Rogers was born November 4, 1879, in the Cherokee Indian Territory, U.S. present-day State of Oklahoma. He died in a plane crash on August 15, 1935, near Point Barrow, Alaska. He was an American entertainer, radio personality, film actor, and writer who was famous for his pithy and homespun humor and social commentary. He was particularly adept at poking fun at politicians, no matter what their political affiliation.

Some of his more notable quotes include:

"There are men running governments who shouldn't be allowed to play with matches."

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

"Democrats are the main reason for voting for Republicans."

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."

"The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back."

"We always want the best man to win an election. Unfortunately, he never runs."

"With Congress, every time they make a joke it's a law, and every time they make a law it's a joke."

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

"The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected."


Artwork compliments of the National Portrait Gallery/ Smithsonian Institute

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.