General Fiction posted February 17, 2024 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Fighting to Survive

A chapter in the book Life's Twisted Road

Life's Twisted Road - Chap 19

by Begin Again


END OF CHAPTER 18

"Alcohol and drugs? What makes you think they were involved?"

"Now, it doesn't take a forensic scientist to figure it out. The one truck smelled like a brewery, and I saw the white packets in the kid's truck when I pulled him out."

Lucille made a notation in her book. "What else did you see?"

"Two idiots racing side by side, coming directly at me. I was fighting to keep my rig upright when it started to jackknife. Caught the pickup in the rear end, I think, and sent it rolling into the ditch. Didn't exactly see the kid go over the cliff."
 
"In your opinion, who do you think was at fault?"

"Can't say. I told you alcohol and drugs don't mix. Maybe it was a stupid drag race or maybe â?" well, maybe someone had an ax to grind. That's your job, officer. Not mine."

"Looks like a split decision right now. Too bad, too. The kid had his whole life ahead of him."
 

*****

 CHAPTER 19
 

"Jackson, they won't make me identify his body, will they?" Her voice quivered under the stress. Her tear-stained eyes begged him to rescue her.

His arms tightened around her, pulling her closer to his body. "I'll take care of it if you want."
 
She leaned her head against him. "Morgues are so cold. I — I don't think I can go there." And then she thought of Gabby and pulled away, sitting upright. "Has Gabby been told? Oh, God, don't make the girl see her father lying on that cold slab. Tell me, you won't, Jackson."

"I sent out an officer, but we haven't been able to locate her yet."

"You've got to find her. First, her mother, and now Bobby. She must be going crazy. What will this do to the baby?"
 
"What baby?" Jackson's brain signaled a high alert. A clue he'd missed?

Audrey closed her eyes before answering. "Gabby's pregnant. She's hiding from Bobby."

"So that explains why Bobby attacked Dion." Jackson made a mental note to question the boy about the baby.
 
She'd been sitting on her front porch for hours, wrapped in Jackson's arms. One minute she was inconsolable, dissolving in a flood of tears and then, she was angry, determined someone would pay for this gut-wrenching pain.

"Jackson, it's just too much. I don't think I can do this."

"Babe, you're not alone. I'm here."
 

She tipped her head back so she could look at his face. "Jackson, please don't take this wrong, but your job demands your time. I see you a few hours here and there throughout the week."

"I admit it's been difficult with the department cutbacks, but I'll try to do better. We'll work it out."
 
"I know your heart's in the right place, but there's the funeral, and Gabby, and —"

"Stop! We can do this together."

"We've only been dating for six months, Jackson. We don't really even know where we are headed. I can't do this."
 
Audrey jumped at the sound of Jackson's phone ringing. He pulled it from his pocket, checking who it was, then shrugged, "I'm sorry. I left instructions for them to call if it was important. I've got to take it."

"It's okay. Duty calls." She stood, staring into his eyes for a moment, and then moved toward the door. "Just go, Jackson. I'll be fine."

 

*****

"Sheriff, what a surprise. Our boy just woke up about thirty minutes ago."
 
"Sorry for interrupting your visit, Coach. The doctor notified our office that he was awake. I'd like to speak with Dion, just to clear up a few things. Maybe you could step out and I'll make it fast?"
 
"No. I've nothing to hide." Dion's throat was hoarse, making it difficult to speak. "I want them to stay."

Jackson nodded. "I know the coach, but who are you, young man?"

"My name is Jason, sir. I'm Dion's best friend. We've known each other since first grade."
 
Jackson directed his next comment to Dion. "I'm sorry for what's happened to you, son, but it's my responsibility to sort this out."

"A crazy lunatic ran me off the road, that's what happened."

"That's one version." Jackson studied the boy, looking for his reaction.
 
"Come on, Sheriff. He spent a night in jail for attacking me, didn't he? I guess he thought he needed to finish the job."

"And why do you think he attacked you?" Jackson baited the hook.

"How do I know? I was helping a friend, and he came out of nowhere and started beating the hell out of me."
 
Jackson dropped the hammer. "Maybe he was upset because you got his daughter pregnant?"

Dion's eyes darted to Jason, who turned away, mumbling, "Dion, I've got to get home. Catch you tomorrow, bro." He nodded to the coach and the sheriff and quickly left the room.

Dion's heart sank as he watched his best friend take the coward's way out, leaving him as the fall guy.
 
Coach could not stand there and listen to false accusations. "Listen, Sheriff, I've known Dion for a long time. I'll vouch for his character any day. He did not get any girl pregnant."

"Is that the truth, Dion? Gabby's baby isn't yours?" At the sound of Gabby's name, the coach scowled and shook his head. He knew Jason had been dating Gabby, not Dion.

"No, sir. She's a friend who needed help, that's all. Her father seeing us together was just a coincidence."
 

"And how do you explain the drugs we found in your truck? Was that a coincidence, too?"

Dion stared at the sheriff in disbelief. "Drugs? There weren't any drugs in my truck."
 
"Jackson, I don't know where you're getting your information, but I know Dion doesn't do drugs, nor is he responsible for Gabby's pregnancy."

"Well, we will see when the lab tests come back. If there're drugs in his system, he'll most likely be held accountable."

"There won't be!" Coach snarled. "Maybe you should go."
 

"Coach, he thinks I'm responsible." Dion's voice was frantic, setting off the alarm on his heart monitor. "The town drunk attacks me and then runs me off the road, and he wants to blame me."

Dion's nurse rushed into the room, surmised what was going on, and cleared the room. "I'm sorry, but everyone needs to leave. The doctor doesn't want the patient getting upset and, clearly, that's not working."
 
She shooed them from the room and then returned to Dion's bedside. "You need to calm yourself, Dion."

"But he's accusing me of horrible things. Stuff I'd never do."

"I know, and I'm sorry. My grandmother always told me that the truth always comes out in the end. I know it will, Dion. You just have to have faith."
 
The young man buried his head beneath a pillow, moaning.

*****

After Jackson left, Audrey poured a glass of wine and sat by the fireplace, lost in thought.

How do I pay for a funeral, for a house, and take care of Gabby and maybe a baby? Bobby's bank account amounts to his last paycheck. Me, I'm losing the house, and I don't have a job. I don't want to be accountable to Jackson, either. Bobby, you were always the thinker when things got tough. What would you do? Give me a clue, please.

As she picked up her glass, a postcard fell to the floor. Picking it up, she saw it was an advertisement for insurance. A lightbulb turned on in her mind. Had Bobby given her a clue?
 
Insurance, of course! How do they determine who's at fault?

She grabbed her phone and dialed the number. "Hi. Cassidy. It’s Audrey.

“Audrey, I heard about Bobby. I’m so sorry.”

“Thanks. I keep telling myself, it’s not real and I’ll wake up and none of this will have happened.”
 
“Listen, if there’s anything I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to ask. We haven’t seen each other for a while, but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about you. I’m just a phone call away.”

“Umm, I was wondering if you still work for the lawyers?”

“Not anymore. I’m a stay-at-home mom. Why? Did you need someone? I could hook you up with one of the guys.”
 
“Actually, I had a question.”

“I was a paralegal, and I learned quite a lot. Try me. What’s your question?”

 "Hypothetically, I was wondering if holding the other driver responsible is possible if he's on drugs and there's an accident resulting in death?"
 
"Drugs definitely would play a huge role in determining the case."

"What if the other driver had been drinking?"

"I don't know the exact circumstances, but both insurance companies could be liable unless someone establishes that the driver on drugs caused the crash."
 
"Like running the other car off the road?"

"Oh, yes. In some circumstances, intoxication might be moot if it were proven the other driver forced the car off the road." Cassidy paused before asking. “Does this have to do with Bobby’s death? I’d hate to steer you wrong. I could call one of the guys.”

“No, no, that’s okay. I’ve already heard rumors. And you know me, always assuming the worst. I couldn’t help wondering what the chances might be. I appreciate your help, Cassidy. If I need a lawyer, I’ll be sure and call you.”
 

“Take care, Audrey. Remember, I’m always here.”

"Thank you so much." Audrey took her phone off speaker and disconnected the call. Relieved, she picked up her glass of wine, sighing. Maybe there could be a light at the end of the tunnel.
 

"If Jackson proves Dion is guilty of using drugs, the insurance will have to pay big time for Bobby's death. All our troubles will be over."

Having left the hospital, Jackson had returned to check on Audrey. Standing in the doorway, he couldn't believe what he'd heard. "Babe, everything alright? Who were you talking to on the phone?"

Enjoying her moment of revelation, Audrey hadn't heard him enter the house. At the sound of his voice, the wine glass fell from her hand as she spun around to face him. "Jackson! How long have you been standing there?"



Recognized


ISABELLA - Natasha's grandmother
DION - Star quarterback and Jason's best friend
JASON - Dion's best friend and teammate
COACH - the high school football coach and team counselor
GABBY - Jason's girlfriend and best friends with Natasha and Becky
BOBBY - Gabby's father
AUDREY - Bobby's sister and Gabby's Aunt
JUDY -THE BLONDE - Bobby's drinking date for the day
PADDY -THE JOGGER - A nice older Irish gentleman
AMANDA - Paddy's wife
LUCILLE LAKEWOOD - one of the arresting officers
CHARLIE - Department Manager for the Sheriff
JACKSON - the sheriff and the man dating Bobby's sister, Audrey
JUAN - Local pool boy and behind the scenes drug supplier
AUSTIN - semi driver and owner of Roscoe
ROSCOE - Austin's co-pilot, a German Shepherd
AL - a firefighter at the scene
TAYLOR - a town resident and mail carrier
ALEJANDRO - a local farmer
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.