Spiritual Fiction posted February 9, 2024


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Faith Flash Contest Entry

The Road I Tread

by John Cranford


The road I tread may be rough. There may be shadows that loom before me, hills I can't seem to surmount, weariness that saps my strength, fear that grips my soul, sadness that comes with the loss of those I hold dear, aloneness that drains my spirit, grief that only I feel and the world never knows, burdens I carry that the nearest never suspect.
 
What keeps me placing one foot in front of the other?
Why do the shadows seem so daunting,
and the  hills seem so rugged and high?
Where can I gather the strength to keep going,
when fear and failure are my traveling companions?
Who will dry my tears for the cherished ones I lose,
and fill my spirit that slips through the drain of loneliness?
Why is grief what I feel while the world looks the other way,
and the weight of my burdens is known only to me?
And where does this trouble-filled road lead?

Through faith, I trust I don't travel this road alone.  Along the way, I know He will guide me and give me a sure path. Though the dark shadows loom high, He will be at my side. Through the mountainous terrain when my strength is all gone, it is then He will carry me. Through His mercy and grace, my fears will all vanish like the wind. He will dry my tears with His promise that life does not end on this long dusty road. Weeping only lasts for a night...joy will come in the morning. He says pay no attention to this world, for He has overcome the world. If I labor and are heavy laden, He promises to bear my burdens and give me rest.  So where does this road I tread lead?
 
It leads me home.



Faith Flash contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.